Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dondelinger View Post
    Really? Are you saying I'm screwed?
    Hey - no, you're not screwed, by any means! It's just that the kind of parts / updates you were thinking of wouldn't have fixed this issue - and most likely it is fixable / can be made to work much better.

The pictures tell most of the story. We need to know a little more about the motor install. You wrote in your first post, "My BBSHD kit was installed Feb 2 2018, 4 months ago" - by whom, a bike shop?

We could really use one more picture when you get a moment. Here's an edited view of one of your pictures - note the yellow arrow areas:

What we need to know is if there is a silver spacer between the motor big gear housing and the bike frame "bottom bracket" and if the motor big gear housing is up against the horizontal or "chain" tube. We also need to know how close the standard Bafang chain ring you have is coming to the same chain tube. If you flip the bike upside down and take a picture of the bottom of the motor you can answer what we need to know in one picture. What we're trying to determine is that the motor is tucked as close to the bike frame as it can go, which affects the chain line, and if you have clearance for the best chain line issue chain ring available, the 42 tooth Luna Eclipse (which would also lower the bike's gearing a little from the stock 46 tooth chain ring you have now).

Fitting the Bafang BBSHD correctly or "best" can take a little fiddling. All bikes are a little different. If the eclipse chain ring will fit that would be great, but we have to determine first that there's room for it.. The rear freewheel gearing could also possibly be improved for your hills, but let's not go there yet.

Here's a post that talks about the offset (how much to the left) for the various chain rings available:

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...g-offset-guide
    Last edited by ncrkd; 06-22-2018, 05:20 PM.
    2nd build, 2018 Crust Scapegoat, BBS02 or BBSHD, Rohloff IGH
    3rd build, 2018 Crust Evasion step-thru, BBS02, Shimano Nexus INTER-3 IGH
    4th build, 2016 Salsa Marrakesh flatbar frameset, BBSHD, Alfine 8 IGH

Visit the forum knowledge base

Comment

OK, here we go and thanks for your help. I'll some pics, I hope this helps. As you can see, the motor is "right there "in contact with frame. The standard ring has about 5mm to the frame. It's pretty much close. I guess a smaller ring will be closer to the chain line. To me, the front ring and the rear high speed (#9) looks to be perfect aligned. In #1 speed, the chain is warped way to the side. Does this help?
      BTW, I built my bike and I bought the standard 46t chainring.
      Attached Files

Comment

Sorry guys, I thought I send 3 pics. I'll try it again.

Comment

'Morning, thanks for the pictures, they help quite a bit.
          As you can see, the motor is "right there "in contact with frame.
          Ok, good to know we can't get any offset correction here. As you've probably figured out, the BBSHD, while a great product given the design / application restraints, has its limits. So, what can we do?

The standard ring has about 5mm to the frame. It's pretty much close. I guess a smaller ring will be closer to the chain line.
          The Luna Eclipse moves left 5mm (good) and is smaller in diameter (42T)(again good) compared to the stock chain ring. So we get 5mm of correction and a little lower gearing for approx $100 delivered. Will the Eclipse teeth clear the chain tube - I am thinking "yes but barely", based on your pictures, possibly rubbing on the paint protector.

To me, the front ring and the rear high speed (#9) looks to be perfect aligned. In #1 speed, the chain is warped way to the side. Does this help?
          Yep, that's the usual issue.

And here's where I have to hand off to those more knowledgeable with minimizing open cog / derailleur offset issues as bad as this.

Here's what I would consider - taking the slightly unusual step of locking out access to the biggest rear cog via the derailleur limit screw, effectively making the bike into an 8-speed. Then I would replace the current 11-34 9-speed freewheel you have (I think) with a 9-speed 11-40 freewheel, where the second-biggest cog is a 34T. You would then end up with a slightly lower lowest gear (42T chain ring to a 34T cog), and lessen the chain bending.

Comment

Sigh ... There's a long post reply from me waiting to be approved by a board moderator - please be patient.

Comment

I'm anxious to read your ideas

Comment

Here's the Reader's Digest version, till my other post shows up:

Parts, unfortunately:
                1. Eclipse 42 tooth chain ring (the two piece, chain line magic one)
                2. a 11-40 9 speed rear freewheel
                From your picture I think the Eclipse would fit, and would move the chain line 5mm to the left - the max possible under the circumstances. The idea of the 11-40 freewheel is to effectively move the current 34 tooth max gear to the second position in the freewheel. I would then, using the derailleur limit screw, lock out the 40 tooth gear. You'd end up with a slightly easier (lower) low gear than you have now, and approx 9mm less chain line deflection. I'd also make sure the derailleur pulley alignment is correct. I'd also go easy on the motor assist in the lowest gear, 400-600 watts or so.

I'm hoping the derailleur jockeys with severe chain angle solutions in their pockets will jump in with a better idea, but it's all I have right now. While the BBSHD works pretty well, it's a bit of a wart (couldn't be helped).

Comment

P.S. Along the lines of your six speed idea - if your current rear freewheel is bolted together, you may be able to reshuffle the cogs to make a 6-7 speed freewheel, retaining the 34T one in particular - and again, lock out the severe chain deflection, unusable ones.

Comment

Ok, read your posts. Is the eclipse 42 the ONLY chain ring that makes it better for me? What about the 40 T sprocket? Does it do the same as the eclipse two piece? The 40T (steel) is a lot cheaper. But which one is strongest?
                    I already took the cassette off and I fiddled with it this morning. (I was awake thinking about it during last night at around 2 AM) I took it apart, re-arranged the cassette putting the last high gear behind the cassette using it as a spacer. And it worked, although I can see I'll need a new 6 or 7 shifter. In my case, the highest gear is separate, the rest of them are riveted. I found a cassette online and I can see they are all separate. I'm thinking I will buy the 7 speed cassette and then re-arranged it like I did this morning, I'll put the two high ones behind them (cassette between the hub/spoke) using it as spacers. I need the LOW gear, not the high ones. If I do this, I figure I'll gain about 12 mm to make it closer to the chain line, hopefully close enough. Of course, I still have to buy the best new chain ring (front crank), using your idea too.
                    What do you think of my idea?

Comment

Hi Don (is it Don?);

On the chain rings, none moves more to the left than the Eclipse 42 (or 48) - it's the magic product that makes certain BBSHD builds possible, like mine for example. I even bought a spare, as I can't do without it.

You shouldn't need to buy any other shifter, just using the derailleur limit screw should accomplish what's needed.

"I was awake thinking about it during last night at around 2 AM" - yep, me too - that's the way I do most of my planning, "giving it a think".

Exactly right on your cassette cog rearrangement - I'll wait here till your done - post a picture or two of the freewheel for others fighting the same.

Take care sir;

Ray (sweltering here in the shade)

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2402.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	67827Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2403.jpg
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	67828

Comment

hello Ray,
                          Success! I took the cassette apart and then I re-arranged it down to 5 gears. I'm using the other 3 as spacers. Right away, I can even SEE the chain line is looking good. When I buy the special Eclipse 42T, the front gear will be even closer, at least better than we had with the standard 48T.
                          I need to buy a good chain too. I should be easy to find I want with a new one.
                          I’ll be gone for 3 weeks and when I get back, I’ll be able to finish my project.
                          I've had trouble to use the limit screws. I turn either of them with no luck. When I get home, I'll hire a guy here in Kona; he has a mobile shop. It'll be worth it to help me. Anyway, the problem is pretty much done.
                          Thanks ago, Michael
                          BW, are you using the $89 Eclipse 42T ring? I want to be sure to buy the "magic" front socket. What about the 42T one on sale for $5?

Attached Files

Comment

On the Eclipse chain ring, this one: https://lunacycle.com/luna-eclipse-c...for-the-bbshd/

Here's (one of) mine:
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?id=20315&d=1476223536&type=full.jpg
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	67875

Congrats!

Comment

Ray, in the pictures is a two piece socket. 42T? You said you want to keep an extra socket on hand. Do we to buy the whole thing, or just the teeth part?
                              I'll order it a week before I get home. It'll be ready for use.

Comment

Yep, the Luna Eclipse 42 is two pieces - the replaceable chain ring, and the (not sure what it's called) carrier or spider the chain ring bolts to - you get both (and 5 attachment bolts) for $89.

Comment

Working...
                                X