X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• loudog3114
    started a topic Golden Motor V5 Stuck at half speed

Golden Motor V5 Stuck at half speed

One day I was riding home on a flat surface on a part of my regular commute with plenty of battery left and the motor quit on me. It briefly flashed a throttle error on the display and the throttle wouldn't do anything. After stopping for a second, checking all connections, etc (they were all fine), I started pedaling home and the bike decided it wanted to work again after I started pedaling. It still flaked in and out a bit but I was able to get home. I got home, powered it down, and ordered a new throttle. I went on a few more rides after with the old throttle and everything worked fine, except it topped out at about 20MPH, with the wheel off the ground or riding it around. So when the new throttle arrived I installed it and thought my problems would be solved. But no dice. So now the bike is seemingly stuck limiting itself to 1/2 the top speed it had before. After googling a bit I found the below info in another thread, but I can't seem to get the motor to clear this 1/2 throttle state its stuck in:

MagicPie(TM) Controller Operation
    1. Cruise speed control: Pressing the cruise control button will make your eBike maintain the speed you are currently at. Squeezing the brakes or pressing the cruise control button again will disable it.
    2. Motor hall-sensor malfunctions: When the controller detects a motor hall-sensor failure, it will beep twice before automati-cally entering into sensor-independent control mode. Twist/press the throttle to run the motor and pedal your bike for a push start if the motor does not operate. (This malfunction seldom happens in a state of sensor-independent control status)
    3. Throttle malfunctions: When the throttle fails to function correctly, the controller will beep three times. In this situa-tion, press and hold the cruise control button to drive your bike at half the maximum speed. The controller will automatically return to its original status when the problem is resolved.

• Tommycat
    replied
    This is what the manufacturer has said about it's regen...

author=GoldenMotor
    The MagicPie/SmartPie controller check regen braking voltage every milisecond, if the voltage exceeds 60V, it will switch off regen braking feature automatically to protect controller from damage. So it is safe whether you install the battery or battery is full.

author=GoldenMotor
    Recommended maximum downhill and coasting speed is not exceed 150% rated ebike speed. For example, rated ebike (motor) speed is 40km/h, then maximum downhill speed should not exceed 60km/h. Otherwise, the regen braking voltage may go higher than 80Vdc which can damage the MOSFETs inside controller. That is out of control.

Leave a comment:

• loudog3114
    replied
    Pulled the controller off yesterday to see if the LED gave me any hints. All it does is blink once when I power it on, and twice when I power it off. I am going to go ahead and get a new controller, now that I know how to replace it. We will see if that helps.

I have been using the regen braking quite a bit since I got it a year ago. I kind of wonder if that has an impact on failure rate with these things.

Leave a comment:

• Tommycat
    replied
    Hi loudog3114, and welcome aboard!

What throttle are you using? Using throttle ONLY? (no PAS) Using this diagram for troubleshooting...

I would probably start with verifying that the throttle has good, steady 5vdc input (~4.37 actually), good ground, and varies the output from ~.8vdc to ~3.6vdc.(full closed to full open) With the previous failure and intermittent operation I would still be suspicious of the 5vdc input connection or something that is causing low power input. As this would keep maximum output low. But that steady low...? hummm.
    Also verify that you have no loose ends shorting...See this.

The MP5 doesn't beep any more, but it does have a blinking LED on the controller that's located on the back side...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X