Rear wheel stuck in frame

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear wheel stuck in frame

I have four Magnum ebikes I'm in charge of maintaining. I've taken off the rear wheel of two of the bikes, and Bike D's wheel wouldn't go back into the frame, and Bike B's wheel won't even come out of the frame. I've tries everything I can think of, and they won't budge.
    Any suggestions?
    Is this a problem anyone else has had?

Have you moved chain to the smallest gear on the cassette? Loosened brakes? Usually there are just two nuts to loosen on axle. If you've done all that, how about taking a pic of that area for us.
    Last edited by artdrectr; 07-10-2018, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NutellaSun View Post
      I have four Magnum ebikes I'm in charge of maintaining. I've taken off the rear wheel of two of the bikes, and Bike D's wheel wouldn't go back into the frame, and Bike B's wheel won't even come out of the frame. I've tries everything I can think of, and they won't budge.
      Any suggestions?
      Is this a problem anyone else has had?
      I always completely remove the chain for a wheel removal (and lay the chain on the workbench). May as well remove that impediment.

At what location on the bike is the obstruction? Is the hub lodged in between the dropouts? Do these bikes have vertical dropouts? Please upload photos.

You can also deflate the tire. I see that they have disc brakes.

Here are some pictures from YouTube:

Click image for larger version

Name:	magnum 1.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	646.7 KB
ID:	69023Click image for larger version

Name:	magnum 2.PNG
Size:	651.9 KB
ID:	69024Click image for larger version

Name:	magnum 6.PNG
Size:	667.3 KB
ID:	69025Click image for larger version

Name:	magnum 8.PNG
Size:	779.4 KB
ID:	69026Click image for larger version

Name:	magnum 3.PNG
Size:	897.4 KB
ID:	69027Click image for larger version

Name:	magnum 7.PNG
Size:	909.4 KB
ID:	69028
      Last edited by commuter ebikes; 07-10-2018, 06:04 PM.

Comment

It may be the case that the OLD (outer locknut dimension) of the rear hub is greater than the dropout width of the frame so that the hub is wedged tightly in the dropouts.

Did you try making sure that everything was disconnected and then yanking on (jerking) the wheel in the direction of the dropout axle slot axis (e.g. straight down for vertical dropouts or straight back for horizontal dropouts)? Try that with a slide hammer while the bike is rigidly mounted in a repair stand.
        Last edited by commuter ebikes; 07-10-2018, 06:13 PM.

Comment

It is a also a remote possibility that the hub motor got so hot that there was some fusion where the outer lock nut meets the inside of the dropouts in the frame (as would be the case if someone were to use a plastic axle nut, to make a ridiculous but hopefully illustrative example).

Comment

Working...
          X