Luna Roam Fusion battery not charging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luna Roam Fusion battery not charging

Hello! As stated in my introduction post, I am a new owner of a used Luna Roam Fusion that I bought from a seller on Craigslist about two weeks ago (https://lunacycle.com/roam-fusion; Ludicrous upgrade, gear sensor, Lekkie chain ring, DPC18 display, and "massive battery pack" that is "gigantic and has a very long range"; upgraded fork and shifters/derailleur. Charger is a 52V Advanced Luna Mini Charger (2.5a). Since purchasing the bike I put about 45 miles on it and am down to just above 50V. About a week ago I was getting ready to charge the bike and that's when I realized that I cannot get the Fusion battery pack to charge.

I semi-remember seeing 406.x miles on the display when I first test-drove the bike and a voltage around 57.xV. I took a picture a few days later at 410 miles, with the display showing 56V. According to the Craigslist ad and my exchanges with the seller, there shouldn't be any problem(s). I stopped riding the bike last week to avoid running the voltage down any further and have been reading-up on all-things-ebike-battery/chargers and troubleshooting+testing. I also opened a support ticket (#134817) with Luna last Wednesday and am waiting to hear back from them.

My testing results based on the troubleshooting procedures are as follows:
    -battery pack:
    ++battery pack charge port is a male RoPD (Rosenberger) plug; accepts magnetic female RoPD plug
    ++battery pack load port terminates in female XT90s plug; accepts male XT90 plug from the motor
    ++display showing: 50.8V;
    ++measured voltage at battery charge port: 50.1V
    ++measured voltage at load port: 50.1V

-Luna charger:
    ++powers up properly, with red LED#1 and green LED#2
    ++output at XT60 male: 59.0V
    ++ouput from XT60->RoPD cable at RoPD female plug contacts: 59.0V
    ++no continuity problem with XT60->RoPD adapter cable
    ++no indication of charging when connected to the battery pack through RoPD (charge port); LED#2 remains green; no amperage measured
    ++no indication of charging when connected to charge port contacts through wires (rather than the XT60->RoPD adapter cable)
    ++successful light bulb test with wires from the male XT60 contacts to two 60W light bulbs: bulbs light up, LED#2 turns red, charger fan running, charger putting out about .6amps
    ++successful light bulb test with wires from the female RoPD contacts on the XT60->RoPD adapter cable: bulbs light up, LED#2 turns red
    ++charger connected to female XT90s plug (i.e., battery pack load side; "jumpstarting"): LED#2 turns red, charger charging until disconnected, 2.5 amps output
    ++no change regarding charge port behavior after any sort of jumpstarting; charger not loading when connected to load side through RoPD

-52V charger from Amazon (ordered for testing):
    ++output at Anderson Powerpole: 58.8V
    ++output at contacts of home-made Powerpole->XT60->RoPD cable contacts: 58.8V
    ++no indication of charging when connected to the battery pack Powerpole->XT60->RoPD cable (charge port)
    ++no indication of charging when connected to charge port contacts through wires (rather than the Powerpole->XT60->RoPD adapter cable)
    ++successful light bulb test with wires from the Powerpole->XT60 contacts to two 60W light bulbs
    ++successful light bulb test with wires from the Powerpole->XT60->RoPD contacts to two 60W light bulbs
    ++charger connected to female XT90s plug (i.e., battery pack load side; "jumpstarting"): LED#2 turns red, charger charging until disconnected
    ++no change regarding charge port behavior after any sort of jumpstarting; charger not loading when connected to load side through RoPD

After circling back to the seller with the charging problem, he assured me that he charged the bike with the very same charger before we met. I shall continue assuming that he meant charging through the proper charge port... Yet, for the life of me, I am not able to charge the battery through the charge port and so I am not sure what to think--or how to proceed. My main worry at this point: deceit and an out-of-order BMS.

I hope that somebody here can share thoughts and advice.

Let me post two questions:
    1. In terms of actually being able to use the bike: Is it possible to properly/fully charge the Fusion battery back through the XT90s load port without blowing anything up or destroying the cells (in the short or long term)? What would happen if I hook up the charger to the load port for an extended period of time?
    2. In terms of repairing the battery pack: Can the Fusion battery pack be opened and serviced (either by Luna, some other ebike mechanic/store, or by a layperson such as myself)? Fusion battery description states that it is not meant to be opened up after being sealed, I believe.

Comment

Is the Luna Mini Charger just clicking/flickering on and off? It might be an issue with the charger.

Try leaving it charging for 24+ hours and see if it jumps back into it's charge state.

For reference. The battery cannot be repaired, serviced or accessed. It's potted in permanently.

Comment

Ok, thanks for the response. The charger only clicks a single time when plugged into the outlet and then just sits idly (and quietly) with red led#1 and green led#2 standby/done charging when connected to the charge port. I think that is normal behavior. There is no frequent clicking or flickering. I also didn't measure any amperage but will check again for a trickle charge. Similar behavior is exposed by a separate 52V charger from Amazon. Both the Luna and the Amazon charger don't react at all to when being connected to the charge port. However, both come to live when connected to the discharge port, with the Luna Mini charger pushing out 2.5 amps, led#1 and led#2 red, fan running. The Amazon charger sort of "pulse-charges" on the discharge port rather than the constant charge of the Luna Mini. Might be normal for that charger. I only got it for testing last week and have no reference point.

Comment

Working...
        X