No announcement yet.

Clicking noise only when pedaling BBS02

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally got the seal out using a sharp scribe. I don't know what the broken off pieces of aluminum are from? It looks as if the BB housing has been reamed for the seal or possibly an aluminum insert was installed for the seal? I just don't know?

Freewheel clutch appears to be fine. There are no broken pawls and each one has spring tension, so this doesn't look like the problem.

I have two types of bearing grease here (pictured). I normally use the DuraBlend for just about everything. It should be fine for the needle and ball bearings in the BB; they all look to be in excellent condition. Is the DuraBlend fine for the nylon reduction gear as well? Large and small reduction gears look good too.

NOW WHAT???

Because the noise occurs once each crank rotation, it seems to me it can't be inside the electric motor that is spinning much faster. Is there any other area "inside" the motor case that spins the same speed as the crank?
    Last edited by Rider; 10-13-2018, 12:14 PM.
    MOVING BACK TO PEDAL...
    2020 Banshee Paradox V3 1x11 (pedal)
    2018 Soma Wolverine 3spd IGH Belt Drive (pedal)

Comment

Thinking it through again, it has to be something closely related to the cranks under load, because it doesn't do it when ghost pedaling slowly while the motor is under power. It's such a sharp metallic tink noise much more than a creek noise I'm at a loss...
      MOVING BACK TO PEDAL...

Comment

FOUND IT! NCRKD YOUR "Not a pedal?" COMMENT TURNED OUT TO BE PROPHETIC.

After buttoning it all up I went for another head-scratcher ride. Noise only when pedaling with pressure, no noise ghost pedaling. Pedaled with my right foot only, still made the noise. Pedaled with my left foot only, THE NOISE STOPPED!

Cool, it had to be the right side crank setup. Reexamined the crank in minute detail looking for a crack near the square hole while it was torqued in place (thinking a crack would be wider from the expansion of the tapered axle if cracked, thus easier to see). Found nothing.

Decided to swap out the right side pedal for one off my other bike. THE NOISE STOPPED!

Put the proper pedal back on without the washer and NO NOISE EVEN WITH THE ORIGIANL PEDAL!

It was the copper washer I put between the crank and the pedal to keep the crank surface from getting damaged. It had compressed as copper does, but was just loose enough to somehow make a tink noise each time the crank was rotated.

Took the copper washer off the other side too and torqued both pedals up. She rides completely silent once again. Sweet nothingness is sweet indeed.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Rider; 10-13-2018, 02:06 PM.
        MOVING BACK TO PEDAL...

Comment

PS: My Niner Jet 9 has been creeking a lot lately, but I wrote it off as the suspension bearings. My LBS told me the lower bearing has a habit of doing that, but now I wonder...

Going to remove the copper washers from that ride too. My Soma B-Side had aluminum bike washers, but I couldn't find any washers that fit inside the indent on the BBS02 cranks other than copper. Won't do that again. :-)

THE GREAT THING IS THE BAFANG BBS02B REMAINS TROUBLE FREE

It always seems to be the bike components that cause the issues and/or break the majority of the time. At least I now know how to take the BB apart on a BBS02B, so there's something good that came out of this trouble shooting adventure.
          Last edited by Rider; 10-14-2018, 05:59 AM.
          MOVING BACK TO PEDAL...

Comment

Glad to hear it worked out. And on the bright side you got to grease some of your internals which is always a plus..

Comment

Over 5,000 miles now between two BBS02B’s and no mechanical motor problems to date (knock on metal). Had one electrical issue (controller burnout) when one of them was on an Electra Cruiser with high gearing. That motor was a China purchase and may have had the older non-heavy duty mofets controller, but likely failed because of high power use in high gearing hauling over 300lbs. of total weight.
              MOVING BACK TO PEDAL...

Comment

Congrats!

After chasing that down to a washer, of all things, I think you deserve the Bicycle Repair Man award:
                "it's all in a day's work for ... Bicycle Repair Man"
                Last edited by ncmired; 08-19-2019, 06:29 AM.
                BBSHD/BBS02B builds: IGH 1 2 3 4 5 6

Comment

Working...
                X