Controller questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Controller questions

Put together this 750 watt front hub motor, rode it around a mile in rough terrain before it stopped working. Batteries are fine, still putting out 53 volts. Throttle is good. My questions are, could I have blown the controller by limiting the throttle for a long time, because the tire was spinning too much on the soft ground and how can I test it to see if it is in fact the controller. Bought the controller for fifty bucks from Luna, motor is 750 watt Bafang fat motor, also Luna. I have a couple of other E bikes including a BBSD2 w/ no problems.

In all likelihood, the problem is either an open circuit or one or more blown MOSFETs.

If this were me, I would try a controller remove and replace. You said the controller cost $50. A remove and replace is simple. For $50, you might save yourself a lot of valuable time.

If the replacement controller solves the problem, that will tell you for sure that your current controller has an issue. If that was the case, you would have a spare (faulty) controller for parts that you could cannabilize later.

If a replacement controller doesn't solve the problem, I would bet that you have a loose wire somewhere else.

Is it possible that your motor got really hot on this trip?

Did you see or smell any smoke coning from your battery on this trip? Does your battery smell funny?
    Last edited by commuter ebikes; 10-14-2018, 12:57 PM.

Comment

The motor didn't feel hot & the batteries, I have four Clean Republic 12 v in series, they were fine. Thanks for the help, good advice. Will spring for a new controller & take it from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike J View Post
        The motor didn't feel hot & the batteries, I have four Clean Republic 12 v in series, they were fine. Thanks for the help, good advice. Will spring for a new controller & take it from there.
        You might want to check for loose wires first. Let us know how it turns out.

Comment

Great advice, your'e right the wires were loose, if fact I spun the motor. The torque arms/ truss rods were a poor design (mine). Got the motor back together & truss rods are at the welder's. Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Working...
          X