Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

12v olde school brushed scooter controller question

Hi guys
    so after extensive work to upgrade an old scooter I bought, we finally got everything figured out with one exception. It’s not providing enough torque, like it did on the old system. After extensive testing, it seems the new controller is limiting the amount of amps it allows to go through somehow.
    Here’s a video of the issue with a closeup of the controller disassembled:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qK8...ature=youtu.be

Just to add, the old controller and mod is right at the beginning of this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV3zsVRA6YE

I’m wondering if I could fix this new problem the same way I did the old one. Just remove the component in the new controller that’s limiting the amount of power it lets through. I realize this risks burning the motor out in warmer weather, but I really don’t care, as it’s useless to us at these lower power levels anyways. Anyone know which piece to short out on the circuit board?
    thanks

A few video stills:

Comment

Well, had a breakthrough. I soldered wire to the shunt, and bam, amps doubled to about 20a. Way more power, and throttle is snappy, unlike before lag. Unfortunately, it still feels like something is wrong. In actually driving, it’s better, but the torque is not quite there yet. I noticed 2 other bars on the controller (in photo). Modify?
      Another possibility is this was made for a higher input voltage or something. I don’t know anything about electronics, but the big capacitater is labeled 64 V, and the two smaller capaciters are labeled 25 V. Why on a 12v system?
      I also fixed the non-locking momentary switch brake lock. What a huge pain in the ass! Very poorly designed and doesn’t look resilient.
      If I knew then what I know now, I wouldn’t of bothered with all this nonsense. The original setup was totally fine despite its drawbacks. Not worth it.

Comment

Solved: for about 30 seconds, lol. I ran a wire direct from the battery line input on the controller to the MOSFET, bypassing the shunt and thin traces. All problems solved, same power as the original. Stopped after about 30 seconds of riding. Controller case was quite warm, and discoloration on the traces around the MOSFET. So it would seem that either the MOSFET overloaded, or the higher current caused of short in the traces.
        not sure it’s worth ordering another 12 V controller. I’ve only been able to find one other on the market, it’s also rated at 250 W max, and I doubt it’s capable of anymore.
        since the old controller was working fine and could take everything I threw at it, I’m wondering if there’s a way to use the components on it on this new board, or vice versa. here’s a picture:
        The motor is labeled as 174 W, but you can clearly handle more than that with no problem, if my amp meter is correct. The motor appeared to pull up to 264 W in my limited bench testing. I get the feeling 12 V scooter systems got phased out along time ago, so Ill have a hard time finding a controller that can handle that.
        Hmmm...
        Last edited by TheNiceGuy; 02-08-2019, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Apparently I had ordered the pots and forgeooten, as they arrived yesterday. I also decided to order the other 12v controller just to see if it works. I’m not expecting anymore power than the failed one. As long as it moves a bit and the throttle works it’s ok. The main reason is for my youngest daughter to use, so reduced power is fine. Besides, I have the other scooter for my older two daughters and us adults.

Comment

Well everything turned out OK. The new controller must be putting out clean 5 V, As the throttle works now. Same problem of being touchy, with dead band at both ends. Not sure if the pot can help that or not. Not a big deal I think, as my daughter is getting used to it.
            Power level is more than enough. Turns out when the Rider is much lighter it’s fine.

Comment

• Tommycat
              Tommycat commented
              Editing a comment
              Great to hear you got it up and running! Thanks for the update. :-)

Ya, none of the kids have tried a scooter before, and she’s really loving it. Going out every night now! Thanks for your help.

Comment

Great! I'm sure it's the best thing ever, for her kid vehicle experience.

Dad tip:. We all know helmets are basic necessities, nowadays. However, wrist guards are not so common. Think about some for the kid. Both my helmeted kids have broken a wrist. So did I, as a kid. We don't always wear the guards, and that seems to get us:

Oops, I forgot them. I'll be careful....

Yeah, that's when it happens!
              __
              Just saying...good time to instill a healthy habit.
              Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

Working...
              X