My relatively new bike is dead. Please Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My relatively new bike is dead. Please Help

So I bought a ready to ship Luna Wolf Alite 500+ from Luna Cycles in November 2018. I've put about 150 miles on it so far and really love it.
    The bike has only been ridden in dry conditions and hasn't been wet at all.
    The last time I tried to go for a ride it was dead. The display would not come on when I tried to activate it.

Since I bought an extra battery when I got the bike, the first thing I did was check the voltages and swap out the battery. One battery showed 53.6 volts on my multi tester and the other battery was at 54.7 volts. Swapping the batteries did not help. I checked all the wires and the connections were all secure and looked great. No corrosion, no bent leads or connections.

Since I also purchased a Black Box programmer, I unplugged the 750C display that came on the bike, and plugged in the Black Box controller. The black box fired right up and the rear wheel spun when I activated the throttle. Therefore I assumed my 750C display had gone bad somehow. I ordered a new display, and since the 750C was out of stock, I ordered the Luna mighty mini display (upgraded 500C). Before I ordered the new display I used the online chat feature through Luna. They said the 500C would work on my bike and it was a better display than the 750.

The new 500c display arrived yesterday. This morning I disconnected the old 750 display and connected the new 500C display in its place. The bike is still dead. So I once again hooked up the black box and the bike works with the black box but not with either display.

What can I do to get this bike running again? Is it possible the new display I got is also bad? H E L P !!!
    Dave

Chances of having 2 bad displays are too low to be at all likely, IMO.

Maybe cable damage? You only use 2 of the pins to activate the controller, without display. Maybe some of the other wires are damaged?

At least you know your controller and motor are ok. Display probably ok.

Harness seems best guess to me, but only by elimination. Not sure how it would cause this....
    Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

Thanks for the response. I just ordered a new wire harness from Luna Cycles. Hopefully this will get me on the road again.

Comment

I hope so, too!

If you want to be able to ride while waiting, you can run it with a programming cable, or a jumper wire, or I think, even with the Luna Programmer, and still ride. So, you are not dead in the water, at least.
        Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

I suppose the power button could be bad, too. Depending upon the display, if remote thumb buttons like my C961, then you can take the button apart, peel back the rubber cap, and look inside it. Maybe try manually connecting the power-on wires, play around in there?

Comment

Maybe nothing new here for you but check this link, it might give you some ideas. Having to buy a new wire harness for a 3-4 month old bike is bananas (but maybe necessary).
            https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...he-bbshd-bbs02

Comment

Something as simple as letting the handlebars spin too far can damage wiring, so not sure what you mean by that. If you are implying bad parts quality, that's not what I meant. I'm thinking it potentially got damaged, unknowingly.

Comment

Thanks for the link artdrectr.
                I have a programmer cable so, while I am waiting for the new harness from Luna Cycles to be delivered, I disconnected the display and connected the program cable in its place. The bike runs off the throttle fine. When pedaling the PAS seems like it is on level 9.

The video I watched in the link that artdrectr provided has me a bit confused though. According to the video, if the bike runs with the programing cable in place of the display, the display is bad. Is this true? I bought a new display (mighty mini upgraded 500c) and swapped out the old 750c display and neither display lights up and the bike wont run with either display connected. Yet it runs great with the program cable. Does this still sound like a harness issue?

Comment

That does sound odd... Are you able to read, change and save the controllers parameters with the black box and/or the programming cable/software? Sounds like your missing a ground to me...

I'd check to see if the display connector's pin #8 and wiring is sound to the battery negative not forgetting the connector in the middle. :-)
                  See my completed Magic Pie V5 rear hub motor E-Bike build HERE.

Comment

I am able to read, change and save the controllers parameters via the black box programmer. Neither the original 750C display or the new Luna mighty mini display work when connected to the harness.
                    I have ordered a new harness cable which should arrive by 8:00pm tomorrow evening, according to USPS. I will swap the old harness for the new, hook up a display, see the results and report back here.
                    Dave

Comment

If ONLY the display is bad, then it will run with the program cable, etc. But, the reverse might not necessary true, for every failure mode? Generally true, sure. But you have a weird problem, time to think beyond general guidelines.

Feel free to chastise me if it turns out you have 2 bad displays, not damaged by the bike! I just think statistics say to look for a different answer, before assuming that. If none found, exchange the display.

You don't know anyone with a bike to test your display, by chance, do you? That would be perfect.

Comment

Success!!! The new harness arrived. I swapped it, hit the on button of the original 750C display and it powered right up.

I just got back from a ride and I am truly amazed at the power of this bike. I live on a nice curvy country road at the top of a long hill that is a 12% grade in some places. With it on PAS5 and on the largest rear gear, it hauls my 200 pounds up the hill at about 12-14 miles an hour with me just ghost pedaling nice and slow looking like I have superpowers.
                        Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions. And now I have an extra display, so in case mine ever craps out I won't have to wait a week to have a new one shipped.

Comment

Awesome! So glad to hear that.

Wiring issues are common in all sorts of things. And harnesses for these kits are pretty cheap. I think it's a very smart spare part to keep on hand, pro tip. I'll add that for any future recommendations.

Comment

Working...
                          X