Pinched bbs01 cable

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pinched bbs01 cable

I have converted a fat bike with a BBS01 mid drive. I started using it a couple of weeks ago without any problems (small trips daily).

At one point the display will not go on. To cut a long story short, I found that I have pinched the cable from controller going up to the main harness. Pictures attached. the blue and orange wires were broken.. I re soldered the wires but still the display will not turn on and no power. Buttery is ok. I removed the controller so that I thought I can do a proper continuity test of all cable wires but I found everything potted!

Can you help? shall I buy a new display? New controller? New kit?!

Thanks in advance for your help.

I'd guess controller ... sorry to say.
    2nd build, 2018 Crust Scapegoat, BBS02 or BBSHD, Rohloff IGH
    3rd build, 2018 Crust Evasion step-thru, BBS02, Shimano Nexus INTER-3 IGH
    4th build, 2016 Salsa Marrakesh flatbar frameset, BBSHD, Alfine 8 IGH

Visit the forum knowledge base

Comment

New controller. The wires were probably shorted when they pinched.

Comment

Thanks for your replies.. . are there tests I can make to verify which components are still functional? For example can I power the display without connection to the controller so as to verify that it is still functional?
        Or checking the motor windings? I tried checking resistance and found it very low.. is this normal? Finally are there any tests I can make on the controller to verify if it is faulty or not?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

I had some damaged controller wires, fixed them like you, and it didn't work. I found more broken wires, with insulation intact so hard to tell. So, maybe you could get lucky and find same. Maybe there is undiagnosed damage, in one of the remaining wires, or elsewhere on the harness.

Otherwise, if wires all good and still no function, I agree, controller replacement.
        Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

Thanks for this valuable information. Especially the pin-outs are very useful...

in fact, checked voltage between pin 1 P+ brown and pin 8 GROUND black wires from the display connector and found 33v. Voltage on battery is 38v.. Should the display turn on with such voltage?

Also checked voltage between pin 6 +5V red and pin 8 GROUND black wires on throttle and found nothing. . I think this is a confirmation that the controller is damaged :(

Is there a way how I can confirm that the motor is not also damaged?

Thanking you in advance.

Eman

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
            HIGHVOLTAGE commented
            Editing a comment
            I would just start with a controller. You could always return it if it ends up not resolving the issue.

• JPLabs
            JPLabs commented
            Editing a comment
            So would I ^^. Only, don't return it if not needed, keep it! You will be glad you did, later. Plus, you really shouldn't buy/use to test/return new parts...not cool, unless dealer offers to allow same, sorry.

Chasing wire issues isn't worth the hassle! Life is too short. SO....I would strongly suggest you pick up a new harness when you get a controller. Good insurance. If not needed, great diagnostic tool next time you question wiring. (Your throttle voltage nil could still be wiring.)
            Last edited by JPLabs; 02-19-2019, 02:44 PM.

Hi guys. Yes of course I will get and keep any extra parts.. The hessle is worth as my intention is to strengthen my knowledge about these things... Also if it is the motor as well, i would take the opportunity to upgrade

Comment

Update on the no power issue.. Finally got a new controller, connected everything and guess what..... again display will not switch on.
            Checked switch contact pin outs and it is switching ok. Again I am seeing voltage between pin 1 P+ brown and pin 8 GROUND black but no voltage on pin 6 +5V red and pin 8 GROUND black. I am checking directly from the new controller connector. I guess it is the display?! Anyone with experience troubleshooting this thing who can help?

Thanks.

Eman

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
              HIGHVOLTAGE commented
              Editing a comment
              It's either the display or the main harness connector itself. Buy a replacement for both.
          Working...
          X