Need help or advice on my Yukon Navigator SM24

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help or advice on my Yukon Navigator SM24

Greetings, I have a Yukon Trails Navigator SM24 that I've had for about 5 years. After first two years had issues and replaced the controller, Fixed the problem and everything worked for another two years. This past winter, bike stopped working. Batteries are about a year old and reading about 25.77 volts. Replaced controller and still no power to the LED indicators on the control grip on the handlebars. All wiring looks good with nothing looking grounded or broken. I'm thinking now that I may have issues in the rear hub motor. Is there any way to check or test the motor? Also is there a good visual video resource on motor removal and repair? I've attached photo of both controllers ( new one wired and the old one beside it ) and a photo of my batteries. I would greatly appreciate any help or suggestions.

Thanks, Ronny Maxwell
    Batteries Controllers

Hi Ronny,

The LED power indicators I'm familiar with do not depend on a controller for operation, tho it may be used as a junction point. Do you ride in the wet and snow? (lol Georgia, OK not too much snow eh? :-) I would be checking the battery wiring and connectors that sit between the batteries and LED display. Checking for a loss of voltage somewhere. Is there a power switch?

If you are suspicious of the hub motor for a possible short, disconnect the 3 phase wires and 5 hall sensor wires. With the motor separated and keeping the loose connections isolated, power up like that.
    A hub motor is robust, unless you over heat the windings. Did it get hot? Did/does it smell toasted? Does the wheel turn with some resistance with the power on or off?
    You can check the phases by checking resistance to each winding. They should all 3 be the same and less than 2 ohms. (very low resistance) also check each one to ground. (no continuity at all) Then you could temporarily connect two together at a time. Each connection test should produce the same level of resistance to turning the wheel. Which at this time is a good thing.

Curious of course as to why the first controller was replaced...

Let us know your progress.

Regards,
    T.C.
    See my completed Magic Pie V5 rear hub motor E-Bike build HERE.

Comment

Working...
    X