Luna charger input wire failure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luna charger input wire failure

Why is the wire on yoru charger braking apart? It is less than a few months old. You guys need to use better wire. Is it due to the wire heating up the cover? Thicker wire is needed then.

Maybe I should get simple flexable 14 awg wire and hope the american made lasts longer. Yes I get to fix it my self but with what? I have to use liquid tape untill I can get to the store.

Do I have to buy the billion strand silicon covered wire to fix it? I would not know how to conect it to a plug, and it is vertualy imposible to solder that wire. Unless I had a “resistance” soldering machine.

I think I can get 3 strand 12awg extention cord wire with a nice bright orenge cover, made in USA? Not likely. But maybe 10awg would fit through that plastic plug? Not likely.

Looks like someone has been pulling your cord...... The jacket should be completely thru the strain relief. Hit up an electrical supply, SJ rubber cord, or better yet SO rubber cord
    which has higher temp rating. 14gauge is fine.

Comment

The wire was getting bent because I carry it with me. not pulling. the hardware does have this wire, but I am thinking that liquid tape is better.

Originally posted by Rokon View Post
      Looks like someone has been pulling your cord...... The jacket should be completely thru the strain relief. Hit up an electrical supply, SJ rubber cord, or better yet SO rubber cord
      which has higher temp rating. 14gauge is fine.

Comment

If you have the skill I'd just cut off the 3 bad inches and remake the internal connection. Could probably get by with a couple wire nuts. Bonus if you add a strain relief to keep it from getting damaged from tight bends again. Or perhaps using an old power tool cord.
        Last edited by Tommycat; 04-06-2019, 05:06 AM.
        See my completed Magic Pie V5 rear hub motor E-Bike build HERE.

Comment

I finally took the thing apart to discover the reason the wire insulation broke; the stress relief bushing squeezes the wire flat and provides a sharp edge; it is a wonder how it lasted as long as it did. I am going to get a better bushing that does not squeeze the wire.

The scrapes are from me trying to pull the gadget apart without knowing how.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by jawnn; 05-11-2019, 09:46 AM.

Comment

As you can see on your forum I had trouble with your charger wires, the cheap plastic wire holder cut the insulation. I finally had to use another stiffer tube to reinforce the cheap rubber hole insulator I bought. I decided that even that was problematic with the cheaply made triple wire with rubber on the outside. Nothing better is available. it is 16awg.

I put friction tape over the liquid tape, but it looks like it could be touching something inside the box. Does anything in there get hot?

I usually charge at least one hundred dollars to engineer a solution to a simple problem like this just to make sure the person that hired me to do the job, would actually use the solution. So you can give me credit if you think you will be saving a lot of money by building these things better. I am going to be building a battery 4 times the size I bought from you last fall.
            Last edited by jawnn; 06-26-2019, 11:29 AM.

Comment

We’ve all sneakily continued to use damaged phone chargers telling ourselves soothingly that, “oh, one more day won’t do any harm“. Before we know it, we’ve been using that death-trap of a wire for weeks, if not months tutuapp.
              Last edited by johnny6; 07-08-2019, 02:52 AM.

Comment

I think if you were to file the sharp edge of the plastic holder, it would not cut the wire's rubber so easy.

Please do not send me another charger, it would have the same problems.

Comment

Working...
                X