BBSHD Er 30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBSHD Er 30

Bought a BBSHD kit about 3 months ago. Worked fine till my typical 14 mile ride back home from work. Changed out battery then got Er 30 message. Upon powering on, the display would display speed but battery gauge did not stop blinking then the error message popped up. Went through list here: https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...he-bbshd-bbs02
    Reconnected all connectors, left off all non essential such as brake sensors, gear shift sensor and bypassed the C961 display. Still same error. Took controller off and reconnected all plugs in there. Checked for silicone stuck in pins etc. Same error. I'm guessing the controller is bad. Not sure how. Battery was 56.7 volts when I plugged it in.
    Last edited by Renn; 04-27-2019, 08:28 PM.

It's either the main harness or the controller. Can't say which one for sure specifically though. Check the main harness though and see if there's any obvious points where it was pinched or bent. If not, you blew the controller during your ride then.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I checked continuity end to end on the main harness and its good. So right now I'm looking at a new controller. Is there a way to troubleshoot and perhaps repair the controller on the bench? Anyone know where I can get a schematic? I know there is a lot of potting to dig through. I'd like to have a spare controller when I get another one.
      Last edited by Renn; 04-28-2019, 01:52 AM.

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
        HIGHVOLTAGE commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry, nothing like that currently on the forums here. Most just replace the controller since they're potted.
        Last edited by HIGHVOLTAGE; 04-28-2019, 09:21 AM.

Well, I ordered another controller. Not sure how the controller starts but I plugged it in and probed for +5 volts on the controller plugs (red wires) going to the PAS and the hall sensors? (white plug buried in silicone) Nothing. No +5 going to the main harness on pin 6 either. I assume the controller dead died. I assume the display gets its operating voltage either straight from the battery (step down from 52 volts?) or from the COMM lines? But the display still displays.
      Last edited by Renn; 04-28-2019, 10:53 PM.

Comment

The display actually uses full battery power and switches it back down to the controller which then energizes the 5vdc electronic power supply. You can jumper pins P+ and PL, or just use a programming cable with no display for testing.

See this thread for more details...

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...he-bbshd-bbs02

Harness wiring...

Self made jumper...

Regards,
        T.C.
        See my completed Magic Pie V5 rear hub motor E-Bike build HERE.

Comment

Thanks for the diagram. I did jumper PL and P+, tried the throttle and no response before taking the controller out. I jumpered it again and probed for +5 with no results.

The only other thing when I first got the kit was change the Anderson connectors to XT60s from the battery cradle to motor. It was working fine up till now - 640 miles. Bafang said that could be the problem? Sounds odd.
          Last edited by Renn; 04-29-2019, 09:35 AM.

Comment

A poor battery connection will cause problems obviously... but typically you'd still have 5 vdc at least till you asked the motor for power. Same with a display lighting up. Are you checking with all 5vdc devices disconnected? Including the motor hall sensors? Just in case something is shorted.
            See my completed Magic Pie V5 rear hub motor E-Bike build HERE.

Comment

Yes. I pulled the controller from the motor housing, connected the main harness and then to battery. The black plug and the white plug were disconnected and probed the red wires for +5. Nothing.

Comment

• Tommycat
                Tommycat commented
                Editing a comment
                Last thing I would try is to jumper (for display bypass) right at the main motor 8 pin connector to eliminate the main harness.
                Other wise it may be time to grab a shovel and start digging out the potting. Hopefully find a pulled wire...

Changed the main harness and a new controller from Luna. Now the PAS isn't working. The throttle works fine througout the PAS levels including 0 and feels more powerful than the stock Bafang controller. Is it a programming issue or could the PAS sensor or disc bad? Anyone experience a bad PAS ruin a controller or vice versa?
              Last edited by Renn; 05-05-2019, 01:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X