X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daxxie
    replied
    Originally posted by Mooka View Post

I saw your thread and see what an improvement it made. Were you able to use your ultra display? If this one goes bad I’ll be going one of these routes.
    No, unfortunately doesn't work with the Ultra display.
    You need to get the cycle analyst.

Leave a comment:

• Mooka
    replied
    Originally posted by Daxxie View Post

Yes, later Ultra's have the sensors on the controller and a magnet on the end of the rotor that tells the sensors the motor position.

I blew a controller on a brand new Ultra.
    Replaced it for a Phaserunner. I used the wire harness sensors. Worked great!
    Still enjoying this bike every day!

I saw your thread and see what an improvement it made. Were you able to use your ultra display? If this one goes bad I’ll be going one of these routes.

Leave a comment:

• Daxxie
    replied

I’m questioning the diagnosis of the hall sensors. The ultra has 3 hall sensors but the wire harness is not connected. The hall sensor on the ultra is on the controller board, which would seem a controller is the issue.

But since I can’t get a replacement controller, the new motor is the only option. Nice to see the Exess as a viable 3rd party option. I wonder if it will use the motors hall sensors?
    Yes, later Ultra's have the sensors on the controller and a magnet on the end of the rotor that tells the sensors the motor position.

I blew a controller on a brand new Ultra.
    Replaced it for a Phaserunner. I used the wire harness sensors. Worked great!
    Still enjoying this bike every day!

Leave a comment:

• Mooka
    replied
    Originally posted by Daxxie View Post

You could experiment with a different controller (Phaserunner) or soon the Exess 2200W controller :-)

​​
    Thanks I didn’t know about the Exess, will be looking forward to it as an option.

I’m questioning the diagnosis of the hall sensors. The ultra has 3 hall sensors but the wire harness is not connected. The hall sensor on the ultra is on the controller board, which would seem a controller is the issue.

But since I can’t get a replacement controller, the new motor is the only option. Nice to see the Exess as a viable 3rd party option. I wonder if it will use the motors hall sensors?

Leave a comment:

• Daxxie
    replied
    so having a spare ultimately is a good thing.
    I blew up a controller on my second try and luckily I had a spare.
    You could experiment with a different controller (Phaserunner) or soon the Exess 2200W controller :-)

​​​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• Mooka
    replied
    Originally posted by JPLabs View Post
    Maybe one phase of the motor is dead. Shorted or open winding, or one bad hall sensor. that will cause a dead spot in the motor, in some positions.

Forcing motor to rotate, by backing up, moves motor off the dead spot, and it starts, but runs "lumpy".

Sounds like it fits your symptoms, to me.
    Thanks for the feedback. This is the same conclusion that was ultimately reached by Luna. I’ve ordered a new motor and will use the existing one as a spare. They were very helpful and went out of their way to expedite a replacement, but unfortunately the Bafang reliability did not live up to expectations, but I’m committed to this motor, so having a spare ultimately is a good thing.

I need to investigate whether I can replace the hall sensors, possibly with a more reliable type.

Leave a comment:

• JPLabs
    replied
    Maybe one phase of the motor is dead. Shorted or open winding, or one bad hall sensor. that will cause a dead spot in the motor, in some positions.

Forcing motor to rotate, by backing up, moves motor off the dead spot, and it starts, but runs "lumpy".

Sounds like it fits your symptoms, to me.

Leave a comment:

• AZguy
    commented on 's reply
    Then not the clutch

Pushing the bike backwards does engage that clutch and turn the motor [backwards] - odd that the controller requires that to engage but definitely sounds electrical and if not the controller the only other thing that comes to mind is the motor hall sensor... sounds like luna is working with you - good luck and please let us know your progress
    Last edited by AZguy; 05-05-2019, 08:15 AM.

• Mooka
    replied
    Originally posted by AZguy View Post
    When it isn't working, can you hear the motor turning when you apply throttle, it just doesn't move forward? If so, it sounds more like the roller clutch in the nylon gear to me
    Hi AZguy, thanks for the response. There is nothing happening when throttle is applied. There is no output on the display, no noise.

I understand the throttle will apply full power irregardless of PAS mode. I’ve reviewed GoPro footage where I captured the first failure. I could see that applying full throttle was not applying full power to the motor. I could hear the motor suddenly cut out. When it does work the throttle causes an initial jerking motion, not smooth how it used to be.

Leave a comment:

• AZguy
    replied
    When it isn't working, can you hear the motor turning when you apply throttle, it just doesn't move forward? If so, it sounds more like the roller clutch in the nylon gear to me

Leave a comment:

• Mooka
    replied
    Luna believes it to be a controller failure. I wonder what part and what caused the failure? What about moving the bike in reverse would cause it to work again? I dunnnnoooo....

Leave a comment:

• Mooka
    started a topic Ultra motor no PAS or throttle unless backed up

Ultra motor no PAS or throttle unless backed up

Heres whats happening: sudden issue with both the petal assist and throttle.

The throttle and PAS will work if I back the bike up a bit. If the throttle is engaged, and it is released, or if you stop petaling, the motor will not work again unless the bike is stopped and backed up some (inches). Petaling backwards does not have the same effect as rolling the bike back. I've tried all PAS modes and eco/sport, no effect.

I have tried a different display and throttle from a BBSHD kit have with the same result. The display shows no error codes in its memory. The display does register speed when in motion. I have the brake light hooked up and verified the brakes are not engaged. The battery is at 58V. I've reconnected all connections. I’m not using a gear sensor.

When the throttle and PAS does engage, it seems less smooth and the power (wattage on display) seems low compared to earlier rides. This came on suddenly. The bike has been built for only a few weeks and has 147 miles.

Ive submitted a case to Luna support (vendor). The motor was purchased 10/2018.

if anyone has any insight or has similar issue in the future I’ll post the resolution here.

Working...
X