Strange BBSHD symptoms

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange BBSHD symptoms

Was riding normally, suddenly the throttle stops working, then under PAS the motor starts mildly shuddering. Then it shuts down. A few minutes later it works again under PAS still mild shudder but not throttle for a few minutes. Later, I turn it on, throttle doesn't work but PAS does but motor has strange shuddering. I suspend the bike and it doesn't turn on. I take off the right side crank and the gear cover. Everything looks normal. I turn on the system and it works under throttle and the motor seems to run smoothly under no load. Then, even though the system is on, the throttle doesn't work a minute later. Thanks for your help!

Hi Stu,

I would be suspicious of the 5vdc regulated power being intermitantly shorted out. To check, remove one of your brake connections and keep an eye on the 5vdc reading on the appropriate pin holes (pin holes 8 & 6, ether side of the nub.) while getting the issue to appear. Depending on what you find, we'll go from there. (but don't use it if the voltage is less than 4.35vdc and/or not steady...)

Regards,
    T.C.
    See my completed Magic Pie V5 rear hub motor E-Bike build HERE.

Comment

Same here. Caused by a jiggling wire in the speedo and magnet detector.

Comment

• Tommycat
        Tommycat commented
        Editing a comment
        Can you clarify? Are you seeing the loss or shorting of 5vdc supply, or getting the dreaded error 21 code? How did you determine a jiggling wire, and which one is it?

I think I have found the problem. I opened up the controller cover and found that the yellow wire lead insulation to one of the andersons was completely cracked open. I suspect the wire was shorting on the metal motor casing. I put liquid electrical tape on it and that fixed the problem! The really curious thing is that the exact same thing (cracked yellow wire casing) happened to two separate BBSHD's on two different bikes in the course of one week. Curiouser still (maybe) my charger is starting to show some problems. Running VERY slowly.

Comment

Working...
      X