X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tommycat
    replied
    Hi Steffen,
    It's good to see such enthusiasm and "can do" attitude! :-)

A good quality multi meter is indeed a must when tracking down electrical/electronic problems. But of course don't over look mechanical as well, dragging brakes, wheel bearings, ETC. But with your building experience I'm confident you have addressed these first.

What is concerning is your full battery charge voltage. A typical fully charged Li-Ion chemistry battery should read 54.6 vdc... Make sure you don't depend on your display and use a meter. Verify the battery's cells chemistry if different.

Yes, your checking for the voltage going into, and out of your hall sensor throttle. Hopefully the thread will instruct you well. But if any questions, or something not understood. Ask me first before trying something. ;-)

WOT is short for Wide Open Throttle.

This should help with where to check...

I don't know your experience with electrical trouble shooting... so be careful. Don't short any pins or wires together. (as well as your fingers) And remember a 48 volt nominal Li-ion battery packs a huge punch!

Some displays will give wattage use or perhaps amperage draw. This would help discern whether is a mechanical, electrical, or programming issue.

Leave a comment:

• Steffen Andersen
    replied
    Originally posted by Tommycat View Post
    Hi K.R. from Steffen,
    And welcome to the forum!

Well done on troubleshooting and finding the bad gear sensor, awesome.
    The gear sensor does use the controller's regulated 5vdc output to power a hall sensor inside the gear sensor to enable it's operation. No error codes?
    Still a bit slow with a fully charged battery? With the recent problem I would suggest you test the 5vdc supply to your throttle, and it's output... (should see ~1vdc to ~4vdc, closed to WOT)

For more tips and information on hall sensor throttles see...

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...d-modification

Other wise are you able to verify amperage draw or wattage use under load?

Regards,
    T.C.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    HI Tommycat!? I Was surpised anybody would comment on this? ;D So THANK You! ..and a Really Qualified Suggestion Too! - Wauww!
    I Am Quite New To This Ebiking, but Old in Constructing Bikes, racers, ordinary Bicycles aso. A Friend of mine was Up in the skies over his Purchase of an Ebike With a Bosh MID.-motor..(400W's), But I was unable to Join in on his Entusiasm!? I did know Absolutely NOTHING about Ebikes? So I had to go home and do a research - first? To get some knowledge of the subject?! - The Prices were Horrendous!?!? Here in Denmark starting From 1500$ up to 11.260$- For a BIKE? I Was Shocked? Because the Same Bikes with these prices Are Not Allowed to Go more than 25Km/h? Regardless of Price? This Law Made me Angry! An Ebike? With a motor cutting out the power at 18Km/h!?!? NO WAY - for ME! So I started looking into, - what to get If you Could Mount a motor DIY!? See? - This Gave Me The Choice between motor-types? And - for ME - NO Weight in the Wheels! - Is an Old Traditionally valued "law" for 2-Wheelers!? So. Ok. I Had to go for a MID-Motor?! Quite fast I discovered The Huuge Crowd of enthusiasts around the motor Bafang? And - Still Knowing NOTHING(NEver RODE a Ebike!! Before!)..? I Had to Choose. I was Quickly set on the Bafang BBSHD 1000W's Because I Like to have POWER! - Found it at 8FUN to a Price I liked. Packet- Solution! Didn't Want to gamble with: "What Battery is Suitable"/ Capacity? Driving Range? Aso.. That's Why. Alas The Battery Showed to be too BIG for my Bikes-frame!? Could not Fit to the bottlescrews? So I had to improvise. Thats Why The Battery is on the upper Tube. On My bike. One Afternoon. And I could take my first Ride? As a Newbee To This Ebiking. Wauww Man!? It Was WILD!! I Was FLYING!?!? - And So it just Was Pure Happiness from my First Knowledge of Ebiking?! ... Until!? Suddenly?! As Out of the Blue? the Motor began This "Cutting OUT"? - I was Bevildered!? Didn't Know What to Do?(Of Course)..!? Bike-Shops here in Copenhagen, Denmark, seems NOT to have Recognized that E-Biking Exists? They are NOT geared to Maintain -or even Service!? - an Ebike, except form the Cheapest front wheel motored eBikes they Sell Themselves...?! Only ONE (Physical/NOT Web!!)Shop at Inner Copenhagen seems suited for such a task!? But A DIY-Ebike?? Hmmm So I was on my Own!? Here. A research on the net, gave me no Clue?! I Found No One experiencing _this Error!? - And My Color-Display Showed Me NO ERRORS!? So Even there I Didn't Get a Clue?
    You Know - now, How I Chose to deal with this problem myself?! ..and, finally! Found The Culprit! Pheww!! The Bike is reeeaaally Wonderfull Driving looong tours Every Day on Roads- and OffRoads in the Woods!? But? - I At ONCE Felt the new Feeling: "The sudden LACK OF POWER"!? As Described! What had Happened? the Controller Gone Bad? New Controller? I Know LUNA has one New and It is a better Version. Updated From Scratch As I have Read? But, I Would like to Know, what's Going on?! I Have The Programming Cable For the Bafang!? And I Use a PC? HAVE seen a Guy instructing how to go into The Motors Programming and Changing parameters Here On Youtube?! - But I'm not So Bold a Guy Myself? To "just DO IT"!? See? So I'm Hesitant!? ... Awaiting? Perhaps I Should go for another solution?? I don't really Know! - Still a Novice To this...
    I WILL Look Into YOUR KIND!- And Qualified Suggestions! Be Sure of that - and Do What I feel I have the Guts To do!?!! ;DDD
    ..And Your Guess About The Throttle Seems Quite right To me?! - The Throttle seems "Bleak"/Weak!? - compared To BEFORE!? -!? It Works. but There Is not the same "PUSH" as Before!
    I'm Danish. So Bear With My english. - And perhaps, too, that I'm not Able to follow Your Thoughts Throughout? But Will go into it. - YESS! As far as I'm Able to!

My Battery Shows FULL POWER! 56.9V's! After Being Charged! (A HaiLong 48V/ 17.5aH...)... My driving gives me scarcely 30Km Range? So it's Power Hungry! this Motor! But again, This is with My Driving the Bike. And Yes! The bike is Still Slower Even With Fully Charged Battery! That's the same! The Battery or power supply to the motor doesn't seem to be affected!? As Said I've Been Through All Wirings and Connectors/and Connections! Everyhing Seems Just Fine and Prestine as When I Set Up The Bike the First Time!? And - it Still IS Quite NEw! ? - The Connectors Seems Quite Ok! No "burnings", malformed/twisted connectors in The Wiring?! So, For me to see?! Its- a Controller Problem!? And YESSS! As You suggest?! The Throttle-problem!? Could be a reason!

I Do not understand Your: (should see ~1vdc to ~4vdc, closed to WOT)...!? Sentence?! I understand it's a Reading? Of a kind With a VoltMeter(Multimeter)... Reading? But Where? Perhaps Your LINK will Make Me Wiser?! ;DD W= Watts!? O??? T??? ... Do not Know the Frase WOT? I Cannot Give You a reading regarding aH!? Under LOAD!? How to do That?
    AHH! You Mean I have To Check(With The Volt Meter) The DC-power Going To the Throttle!? - And The DC-power Coming OUT from the Throttle!? - And this should show the 5V DC supplys ability?? OK I think I Could Manage To Find a way to do that! ;DD Thank YOU!!

Now I Will follow Your LINK! And hopefully get a little Wiser!
    THANK YOU! A LOT!! For Dealing with MY (small, but totally annoying) - problem!!!!! ;DDD
    Many Kind Regards From:
    Steffen Andersen. Copenhagen, Denmark! ;DD

Leave a comment:

• Tommycat
    replied
    Hi K.R. from Steffen,
    And welcome to the forum!

Well done on troubleshooting and finding the bad gear sensor, awesome.
    The gear sensor does use the controller's regulated 5vdc output to power a hall sensor inside the gear sensor to enable it's operation. No error codes?
    Still a bit slow with a fully charged battery? With the recent problem I would suggest you test the 5vdc supply to your throttle, and it's output... (should see ~1vdc to ~4vdc, closed to WOT)

For more tips and information on hall sensor throttles see...

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...d-modification

Other wise are you able to verify amperage draw or wattage use under load?

Regards,
    T.C.

Leave a comment:

• Steffen Andersen
    replied
    Hi! I recently Experienced My Bafang BBSHD Totally cut out after a Few hundred meters after start!? I could Trigger it to Give a push`? -by Activating the Brakes-Going to the controller!.. But I only got One Push. then again the Motor stopped assisting... Aso... Reeally annoying! To say the least! I Searched in Google to eventually Find others that had had the same experience? With no luck... Alas. So I Was on my Own with this problem... the Motor is Bought from 8Fun.. I Started from scratch pulling all Cables- and connections from the Controller... Only connecting back, the absolutely nessesary Cables. Test-run the bike, to see if the problem had gone, or still was there..every time.. The Motor was Ok With only the nessesary cables on. And - I connected the next Cable... Still Motor Ok? - next Cable aso - Until I came to the LAST Cable not Connected. This Was the GEAR-SENSOR-cable-Connection!? I Could not- In MY mind THINK such a Type of sensor, to give Any Trouble? Its A Magnet? Detecting movements in the Gear-cable?- Only?? But. As Soon As I connected This Gear-sensor. NO MOTOR -assist! At all!? - Luckilywise This sensor is not needed!? It's an extra thing, You CAN mount, but not nessesary at all? This Gear-sensor Was the Culprit? Not Sure What has gone wrong with it. Just took i OFF completely! ... Now Happy Again With My Bike I took A looong test ride!20km!? - in different terrain. Roads and offroad... But I felt, something was Different?! - The Motor - now? - Did NOT have its former Power?! - Both the Average Speed, And the TOP-speed I had gotten used to, Was not There - anymore? - I had lost about 10km/h - in both!? When the bike was assembled "out of the Box" - My Ebike showed 65Km/h As Topspeed on Even road! - and average speed 55Km/h -!? As the "Normal" to get from this Motor on MY MTB!? - Now The Average speed shows - at most 45Km/h and the topspeed I can't get higher as to 55Km/h... Now? Does The Bafang BBSHD lose its raw-power - after a Few Months? Or Has The Controller gotten Bad because of Driving and testing until the Culprit was Found? I do no now. But Daily I Feel!! - The Lesser power from the motor. Now! - :o{{ Any suggestions?? K.R. from Steffen, Denmark!

Leave a comment:

• Drzdave58
    replied
    I followed tommycats advice and checked out the link....did as it showed...took my bike for a good ride today and had no loss of power...hopefully the issue won’t come back...

Leave a comment:

• Tommycat
    replied
    Originally posted by Neville View Post

I think that this might be due to vibration, one suggestion that I received was to put a strap round the battery and the down tube which holds it quite rigid, I tried this the other day and I had a trouble free ride.!
    So will see if this is an improvement.

Excellent, sounds like your making progress! So possible internal loose connection. But I still would double check the battery to cradle knife connections to be sure. But hey, a strap never hurts...

Please look over this terrific thread by Sebz about the cradle connections…

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...5701#post35701

Glad to help.
    T.C.

Leave a comment:

• Neville
    replied
    Hi TC
    Thanks for your reply....I went back to the supplier with my problem and his reply....
    ....Its possible the BMS inside the battery is either faulty or the connection has unplugged a little.

Its worth opening the battery and checking the plug that has 14 series wires going into the BMS, its possible that this has unplugged and also the plug for the battery tester on the side of the battery.

Which is what you suggest

My battery does charge to 58.8 volts and after a 50km road ride it drops to around 54.7v. Of course this might vary due to the load that that has been put on it.
    I think that this might be due to vibration, one suggestion that I received was to put a strap round the battery and the down tube which holds it quite rigid, I tried this the other day and I had a trouble free ride.!
    So will see if this is an improvement.

Re the Error Codes...; It showed 04 and 021.
    Many thanks
    Neville

Leave a comment:

• Tommycat
    replied
    Hi Neville,

From your description it sounds like you might have a battery problem. If the display is shutting down with the issue, and only starting up after a few minutes and a battery power off/on cycle, it might be the battery's BMS tripping. Or loose connections internal to the battery... More particulars of your battery? Does it properly charge to 58.8 volts for a full charge? Does the voltage drop much shortly after charging?Does it sag under load? Double check the battery to cradle knife connections. Make sure they are tight.

As far as the display, I believe the Luna model can be reset. But not sure if this includes the error codes. Curious, what codes do you have stored?

DPC-18 Display Documentation.

Regards,
    T.C.

Leave a comment:

• Neville
    replied
    I still have an unresolved problem with power shut down, after several months of trouble free running, sometimes when switching the battery and the DPC-18 display on, the system then powers down immediately. Other times it will unexpectedly shut down when riding, then it will take a while to power up again.. I have had an electrician friend who has checked all the connectors for continuity and relevant voltages etc with a multimeter and found everything ok. What we did find is that when the unit has shut down, the test indicator on the side of the battery has ceased to function even though all is still switched on.
    I'm running a BBSHD and 52v 14 ah battery..
    As a separate question. does any one know how to clear error codes from a DPC-18 display ?

Leave a comment:

• Tommycat
    commented on 's reply
    Specifically, like a shark hard case model with a cradle? If so take a look at this...

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...5701#post35701
    Last edited by Tommycat; 10-06-2019, 07:41 AM. Reason: Added link...

• Drzdave58
    replied
    Lithium

Leave a comment:

• Tommycat
    commented on 's reply
    What type of battery do you have?

• Drzdave58
    replied
    So...I am still having this this problem with losing power as well...doesn’t happen every ride but it is annoying when it does...I still think it’s a bad connection but can’t figure out where it could be...any of you guys have this problem.?..did you rectify it?

Leave a comment:

• jimskinvy
    replied
    You could just have a bad battery connection...riding bumpy roads can affect your battery connection...I was having a similar issue with mine...I wrapped 2 zip ties and two Velcro straps around the battery housing to secure it better...haven’t had a problem since..where is your battery mounted? auto clicker word unscrambler jumble solver
    SWEET!!...very smart...yeah..I just got a new controller on my BBS02...my bike tops out at 49 kmh...custom build is the best way to go..
    Last edited by jimskinvy; 09-11-2019, 10:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Defjr333
    replied
    Bikes are just too personal and toom uses/ options for a one bike for all. And getting one professionally built is $$$$. Build it how u want it is the only way to go

Leave a comment:

Working...
X