Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please help me trouble shoot. Bike power cutting out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help me trouble shoot. Bike power cutting out.

I have an addmotor fat tire ebike and have been having issues with the battery cutting power. Here are my symptoms:

When fully charged battery works fine for a few miles.

After battery isnt fully charged motor loses power when climbing hills. It dosent turn off completely but when watts are close to max it cuts to 0 and loses power. It resumes after it cuts to 0 then once it hits max again it again will cut to 0 watts. LCD stays on the entire time.

Can someone please give me some advice and direction as to what could be wrong and what to do first to troubleshoot.

Thank you so much
    Paul

Paulkaranik - Heya Paul. A few questions first. How old is the battery? Did you buy one that was already made or make your own? What kind of battery is it (lithium - lead-acid - lithium-ion)?

Did you check all of your connections to make sure they are good? Connections can become loose over time from riding and can cause the power to act funny. If it is a connection issue, you will want to fix it ASAP because it can cause a fire.

Comment

Originally posted by chips2041 View Post
      Paulkaranik - Heya Paul. A few questions first. How old is the battery? Did you buy one that was already made or make your own? What kind of battery is it (lithium - lead-acid - lithium-ion)?

Did you check all of your connections to make sure they are good? Connections can become loose over time from riding and can cause the power to act funny. If it is a connection issue, you will want to fix it ASAP because it can cause a fire.
      Battery is from 2017 and came with the bike when I bought it from another person. It had 50 miles on it when I purchased it. They are lithium ion batteries.the fact that it only loses power when climing a hill leads me to believe it has something to do with cutting out during high workload as opposed to a connection problem. Your thoughts ?thanks for the reply!

Comment

Paulkaranik Ok, so 3-8 years is the life expectancy of older Lithium-ion batteries. 3,000 cycles max. It is likely time to get a new battery. It likely means the cells are not taking a full charge anymore.
        Is it showing full charge after a much shorter charge period then it used to?

Comment

Originally posted by chips2041 View Post
          Paulkaranik Ok, so 3-8 years is the life expectancy of older Lithium-ion batteries. 3,000 cycles max. It is likely time to get a new battery. It likely means the cells are not taking a full charge anymore.
          Is it showing full charge after a much shorter charge period then it used to?
          The battery charge looks the same as when I got it. Also the battery will still run forever on flat ground only cuts out under heavy load up a steep hill.

Comment

Yah, sounds like the cells are getting old. It happens. Good news is the newer cells last 10 years and up to 10,000 cycles. Although...

Edit: Have you tried testing your controller?

Comment

Sounds like voltage sag and the low voltage cut off shutting the bike down from it
              2018 Motobecane Boris Fat Bike BBSHD Build

Comment

Working...
              X