• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luna Advanced 300w Charger Operation

Hello,
    using the Luna advanced 48V 300w charger
    https://lunacycle.com/luna-charger-4...ebike-charger/
    when reaching the selected charging percentage on both chargers (with new silverfish batteries) the charging LED turns green and the charger instead of just shutting down for good gets into an 8 sec on/off cycle that constantly turns the led red, starts the fan, switches on a relay (clicking sound), turns on the display showing the current voltage and current, and shuts off the fan and display and switches the LED to green.
    Is this expected behaviour? This seems to create unnecessary strain on the components.
    I'd like to be able to leave the charger on overnight until done, without it going through thousands of on/off cycles.
    Any thoughts?

(N.B.: this is with the batteries installed and the keys in off-position)
    Last edited by foo3rumpel; 07-30-2019, 10:43 PM.

My Luna 52 volt advanced charger does the same thing at the 80% charge. I just finished breaking in the new 52 volt Panasonic shark at 5 x 100% charges and did my first 80% charge. The charger behaves exactly as you describe. It doesn’t not seem normal. At the 100% rate it did not cycle like this. I found your post while searching the forum for this issue. I’d like to know what is going on. It seems like a lot of wear and tear on the charger. I too charge it overnight and don’t want it to cycle for hours until I wake up. Doesn’t seem right.

Comment

Yeah, that sounds odd. I use the 52v advanced charger at all 3 levels on a dual battery pack(2 12.5ah packs in parallel) without this occurring. I usually will do 100, 80, 80,90, 80, 80, then start back at 100. i want to extend the life of the packs, but also do not want the separate "banks" getting too off from one another. So every 5th charge is usually back to 100 with balance. But I have never heard of what your charger is doing.

Comment

I had the same problem. My problem was solved by charging my battery with the battery turned on. Luna 300 watt advanced charger, Panasonic 52 volt 13.5 ah battery. It seems the charger can’t “see” the BMS with the switch off and it was causing the cycling issue. The charger was going for 80% and would shut off, battery would not match. Charger would turn on charge for a second then turn off. Lather rinse repeat until I was at 100 %. Hope this helps.

Comment

I have the same problem on my 300W/48V charger. I'm not comfortable having the charger click on/off every few seconds. The only solution is to charge at 100%, which defeats the purpose of this particular model.

Comment

Count me in... Same problem. Worse yet, setting the charger on 90% gives me an 80% charge. Setting on 80% gives me 80%.
            I received an email from Luna regarding the problem. They responded with a link to a YouTube video "How to fine tune your Luna Charger".
            Call me stoopid, I bought a pricey watt meter and followed the instructions on the video. No help on that front. Still no 90% charge function.
            On top of that, my unjustifiably spendy DPC-18 now reads a full 2.2 volts lower than it did before.
            I've performed the "fine tuning" 3 times now with the same results. Customers required to "fine tune" chargers, huh...
            And yes, the unit still cycles endlessly every 8 seconds.
            Time for a Satiator I guess...

Comment

Did you guys get your issues with the Luna Advanced chargers resolved? I'm deciding between one of these and a Satiator...
              2017 Growler 26" fat bike BBSHD

Comment

Working...
              X