Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't get Tonsheng TSDZ2 through bottom bracket

Hello
    I'm trying to convert a very old hybrid bike into an ebike! I removed the bottom bracket cartridge, but now can't put the motor in.....it seems to get stuck at the inner bit (the non threaded bit) it doesn't look narrower...has anyone else had this issue? as you can see it has started to take the coating off the motor.... (by the way first photo is 14 years worth of muck...had a good clean before trying to put in motor) can i just file down any metal bits inside or do I need to buy a new donor bike?
    Thanks in advance
    has been cleaned since this photo paint coating coming off

If it's close, file it, sure. Looks like a steel frame. You might get a brake hone tool in there, too, like this

Click image for larger version  Name:	images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2Pox3ixXK8vUB-FeDJMm49ChPIVcTrPJTxVOOnhxy-Fb6rwOHNQ.jpg Views:	1 Size:	6.0 KB ID:	90813
    Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

I did have that issue on my TSDZ2 conversion. On the inside, down at the bottom of my bike's bottom-bracket, there was a tiny bit of extra metal that had to be filed away, so I could get the TSDZ2 to fit through.

I just gently worked at it; took my time, made sure I didn't create any sharp edges or stress-points (which you'd get by violent haphazard grinding)--and then everything went together easily.

If you can't determine what's in the way--here's a simple way to figure it out.

1) Clean out that bottom-bracket; as-in shiny-metal clean.

2) Put some transfer-marking material around the TSDZ2's BB insert-portion (just on the leading-edge, as it's headed into the bottom-bracket hole). Lipstick can be an effective transfer-marking material--and is obviously easy to find (or borrow).

3) Attempt to slide the TSDZ2 in again--and when it stops, it'll leave a "kiss-mark" on whatever's interfering.

4) Slide the TSDZ2 back out again, and look inside the BB for that mark. Find the "kiss-mark"--and you've found your obstruction. It'll likely be a small protrusion of some kind. Gently file it down; whatever is "in the way"--just a little at a time. Work gently. Avoid making deep grooves or scratches; the goal being to leave everything smooth when you're done--to reduce the chance of stress-cracking. Frequently retry the TSDZ2 for fit, then file a little more, etc.

Don't worry--it'll fit eventually.

Best of luck with your project!

Tklop
      Last edited by tklop; 08-02-2019, 09:45 AM.

Comment

All good....put sandpaper round drill to smooth out bottom bracket shell...worked a treat

Comment

Working...
        X