e-bike battery charger surging when hooked to Pure Sine Wave Inverter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e-bike battery charger surging when hooked to Pure Sine Wave Inverter

My 3 amp e-bike charger's continuous run fan's rpm is surging and the 'charge' indicator light flickers when plugged into my new Renogy 2000 Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter. I have the inverter wired to a 12 volt deep cycle RV battery which is staying between 12 and 12.6 volts DC at the inverter input when charging the bike battery. It does charge the 52 volt, 14 Amphr e-bike battery but the surging fan and flickering light seem strange. The charger fan runs at a continuous speed and charge indicator stays on red until charged, then turns green when plugged into household AC. This is a new inverter. Does anyone have any suggestions? Sending the inverter back to have it tested at Renogy is a "last resort" due to distance and cost. Thanks

Try plugging something else in at the same time.
    1) A 100W incandescent bulb or similar resistive device to provide a stable load, this may damp it out.
    2) Something with a motor and inertia, like a blender. This can provide reserve surge power, in case charger surge energy or transition peaks exceeds what your inverter's capacitors can handle.

Might help.
    Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. I will give the light bulb a go. The blender is a cool idea but to have it run for 5-6 hours while my bike battery recharges may be a bit much. I am running a 2000 watt inverter. The charger should only be drawing 300 watts max. Ideally, some DC to DC setup would be much more efficient.

Comment

You might just need the blender to start it....worth a try if bulb doesn't work. And low speed empty is low power. Anyway, you get the idea....it will be interesting if anything works!
        Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

Great, thanks for the idea. This problem seems to have everyone stumped to this point including the inverter manufacturer. And it is definitely out of my area of knowledge!

Comment

Working...
          X