BBS02 won't power on after excessive discharge of battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBS02 won't power on after excessive discharge of battery

Hi, I have a BBS02 with SharkPack 52V 13.5Ah, approx 18 months old. System has worked perfectly until I made the mistake of running the battery too low last week on a ride. I think it got down to around 43V while I was riding and the unit completely shut off and would not power on via power button.

Took it home and battery would not charge, the charger light stays green and doesn't run its fans as it normally does. Tried leaving it on charger overnight but no improvement.

Removed the battery from bike and tried charging, same issue. Battery has its own power level LED indicator and shows ONE red LED when pressing the button.

From reading through the electricbike.com forum article "troubleshooting charging and electrical issues" I've made a few measurements and observations...
    https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...ctrical-issues

-Charger is correctly outputting 58.7V, it's the basic charger Model: 52V14AH 14S/4P/GA - black plastic with a single red/green LED.
    -Battery charging port looks fine, no signs of physical damage. Have not tested the voltage on charge terminals.
    -Battery is outputting 43V currently on its discharge port, disconnected the mounting plate and measured directly on sharkpack terminals with multimeter.
    -No damage the the battery case.
    -I tried jumpstarting the battery by wiring the barrel connector to the sharkpack discharge port, observing correct polarity. Charger LED tured RED and fans started, I held the charger on the battery discharge port for 15 seconds.
    -Now the battery power LED's show 100% yet the battery discharge port is still around 43V
    -Charger still does not charge the battery
    -Have not done a load test on the battery
    -Wanted to ask for advice before proceeding further.

Questions...
    -Does it seem strange that after attempting to jumpstart the battery/BMS that the battery power LEDs changed from only showing 1 RED LED, to now showing all LED's lit up?
    -Should I continue to Step 3.1 in the troubleshooting guide suggests hard reset the BMS.
    -Perhaps I also need to disassemble and measure cell bank voltages?

I'd really appreciate any advice to revive my battery.

thanks,
    Gavin

Correction: The sharkpack lights up all LEDs with pressing the button only if the charger is connected. With the charger disconnected just the first red LED lights up. Gavin

Comment

Originally posted by gavoperth View Post
      Correction: The sharkpack lights up all LEDs with pressing the button only if the charger is connected. With the charger disconnected just the first red LED lights up. Gavin
      OK, that makes better sense.

If your pack voltage is still below the minimum, perhaps the BMS just turns it off again. You could perhaps raise the voltage of the pack by charging for longer with the discharge port, until pack voltage is in above the Low Voltage Cutoff. Doing so is circumventing the BMS, though, so not necessarily safe or recommended.

I think if you were to decide to do that, that checking all the cell group voltages first, to confirm no cells are dangerously low, would be a good idea, yes.

Sorry I don't know about hard vs soft reset, or if trying a hard reset is a good next step, but it sounds encouraging to me?
      Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

Hi JPLabs ... thanks for the advice, I wired the 2A charger directly to the battery output terminals and let it charge for a couple of hours. Every 30mins I disconnected and plugged the charger back to the charging socket to test, but it still does not charge the battery. The battery is currently at 51V, the battery pack power LED's only light up the first red LED when pressing the button. My multimeter confirmed 1.97A flowing into the battery via the output terminals while charging.
        -Do you think I need to let it charge longer, highter than 51V ?

With the battery pack now at 51V I plugged it back into the BBS02 system, unfortunately it doesn't power up and the controller display never turns on. I wired the charger directly to the BBS02 input (battery disconnected) and the BBS02 controller/display powers up fine.
        -Could this mean the battery BMS is restricting the power it will deliver to a load? I could try the incandescant light bulb test...

At this stage it seems like the battery pack isn't cooperating. It charges via the output terminals fine, but won't deliver a load. BBS02 motor/controller power up via the charger.
        -Any thoughts on the next step? Hard reset the BMS?

thanks!
        Gavin

Comment

Sure sounds like BMS to me, agree. I'd reset it....
          Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

Update: I'm pleased to report that disassembling the shark pack and unplugging the BMS fixed the issue. Battery is now charging normally. Thanks JPLabs for the guidance. Ride on!

Comment

Working...
            X