Luna Mini Display - issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luna Mini Display - issue

Hi, I purchased a Luna Mini display a few months ago in order to replace a cracked OEM screen.
    My bike has behaved mildly ever since (as opposed to it's insane mode that it was capable of originally).
    I did not notice it too much because I ride primarily as a commuter, but when i took it to a trail it was unable to perform.
    Then, I specifically watched the display and noticed that the left-most readout that shows output wattage was only able to go to 1/2 power (around 490w).
    It seems like the unit is throttle.. but i am wondering.. is it a throttle (mechanical) issue, or is it an issue with the display (it is the only new part)?
    I took my battery apart and it is still in great shape and the voltmeter shows that it is fully capable of performing, and there are loose connections or crimped wires.
    Any thoughts that you might be able to share in order to help me troubleshoot this would be highly appreciated.
    Thank you in advance.

(1st time posting, mostly due to ease of use and satisfaction with the equipment - love my bbshd)
    Cheers

Forgot to mention: unit is BBSHD, on 29" tires, 52v pack, luna mini display, luna 40t chainring. have had it to max speed of 78km/h, but now it is throttled to what feels like 28km/h, yet the display is programmed to max out at 65km/h. tried this in all gears, with fully charged battery (validated on 2 multimeters). Use shift sensor, and hydraulic brakes. Not sure what else to indicate that might be helpful in troubleshooting.

Comment

There may be settings in your controller which are set to 'by display command' and thus lead to different behavior. I think there is a setting for speed limits with 'by display' option, for example.

Check all the settings which can be configured in the display, first. Wheel size, especially. But if you can't resolve that way, you might need to look into the programming.

Sorry, I don't know the exact settings provided or affected, so can't give exact details, but if you could post program settings, we could look and make suggestions, if it comes to that.

Throttle should put out about 4.2V max I think, you can check that, too, to confirm throttle OK. There's a pinout in the knowledge base somewhere. Link top of page....

Good luck!
      Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

How do I check program settings? I do not own a programming cable, and shouldn't it just be programmed to perform as OEM standards?
        Or are you saying that in order to obtain full power I need to reprogram their display (therefore, I would need to purchase a programming cable)?

I have wheel size set up as 29" (matching my wheel size physically), and I have not gated top-speed to a low setting. It is gated to 65km/h, but for some reason it will not put out enough power to reach that speed.

Comment

Have you tried it in different PAS settings? IIRC there was a firmware version of the controller that would change throttle output depending on the PAS number you have it on.

In any case you could always try bypassing the display with a jumper to see if that makes a difference. This is described in detail on the troubleshooting KB, the second section which deals with display issues
          https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...he-bbshd-bbs02

Comment

Originally posted by baldwin View Post
            How do I check program settings? I do not own a programming cable, and shouldn't it just be programmed to perform as OEM standards?
            Or are you saying that in order to obtain full power I need to reprogram their display (therefore, I would need to purchase a programming cable)?

I have wheel size set up as 29" (matching my wheel size physically), and I have not gated top-speed to a low setting. It is gated to 65km/h, but for some reason it will not put out enough power to reach that speed.
            I think it is most important to check the advanced settings inside the display, which you can change with the buttons - no cable needed. There probably is a configuration setting in there which will restore operation like it was - if this is actually caused by changing the display.

If you had a cable it would be easier to figure out, but it's fine if you don't. Try changing the controller settings which look related, or post the settings you find, here.
            Last edited by JPLabs; 09-12-2019, 05:29 PM.
            Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

There are only basic setup conditions available on the Luna Mini display, such as wheel size, maximum speed, battery size, display output for battery (%/W), etc. I have changed everything to the conditions as indicated, such as 29" wheel, top speed set to various speeds between 30 and 75 kmph, brightness of display (3 bars), pedal assist levels (3, 5, or 9; mine is set to 5, but I have tried all 3 settings).

There is not a lot of options to drill down deeply in to throttle responses, etc. Nothing that would gate the ability of the motor to 1/2 of its total output capacity.

It is my belief that I will either have to A) purchase a programming cable or B) purchase a non-Luna display to see if it corrects the issue, and then move forward from there (hopefully with the issue resolved).

Comment

Sounds like you've tried all the display settings available. Did you try different PAS levels as Pax suggested? (set to 1 or 2 or...ETC) A cracked screen suggests possibly a bit of physical trauma. Could the throttle have been effected? Did you check the throttle signal output voltage to the controller. If not perhaps this will help...

You should get about ~1vdc to ~4vdc from closed, or off, to wide open throttle. For more information on your hall sensor throttle's operation, and how to check, see this thread...

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...d-modification

Regards,
                T.C.
                See my completed Magic Pie V5 rear hub motor E-Bike build HERE.

Comment

I have adjusted pedal assist levels with the only outcome being, i received different level of assist but only half of total watt capacity.

The original (OEM) screen was cracked by something dropping on it; it still functions and I purchased the might mini display as a replacement (due to aesthetics - not wanting to look at a cracked screen).

The mini screen is perfect (no scratches, no damage). All wiring is OK (no crimping, etc.).

Comment

Swap the display back and make sure power goes back up, then at least you can confirm it's not something else. Unless you already have....

Comment

There are only basic setup conditions available on the Luna Mini display, such as wheel size, maximum speed, battery size, display output for battery (%/W), etc. I have changed everything to the conditions as indicated, such as 29" wheel, top speed set to various speeds between 30 and 75 kmph, brightness of display (3 bars), pedal assist levels (3, 5, or 9; mine is set to 5, but I have tried all 3 settings).

There is not a lot of options to drill down deeply in to throttle responses, etc. Nothing that would gate the ability of the motor to 1/2 of its total output capacity.

It is my belief that I will either have to A) purchase a programming cable or B) purchase a non-Luna display to see if it corrects the issue, and then move forward from there (hopefully with the issue resolved).
                      It's a 500c display, albeit modified. But the 500c DOES have advanced menus, per this post, so I think there may be another more extensive level of settings for you to access. Or are you already using this password to get to the available settings you saw?

Sorry so vague, I don't have one myself...

Comment

I located and installed my OEM bafang display, and the outcome was the same.

This leads me to know that it is not the display or settings.

Again, watt indication was 1/2 of what it should be.

Is there somewhere in this system that would create this sort of gating limitation?

Is it possible that the battery has a problem? I charge it between 80 and 20 % only, and store the battery indoors when not in use. I test it with a multimeter for each charge.

Or is there anything in these battery mounts that can cause this limitation?.. or something in the motor itself?

I'd really be bummed out if I have to purchase a battery just to find the resolution. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Comment

And to confirm, I have used the password to access all of the settings, but they (the settings) are rudimentary. Nothing that would affect the power output. Regardless, swapping the display provided the same outcome.

Comment

I located and installed my OEM bafang display, and the outcome was the same.

This leads me to know that it is not the display or settings.

Again, watt indication was 1/2 of what it should be.

Is there somewhere in this system that would create this sort of gating limitation?

Is it possible that the battery has a problem? I charge it between 80 and 20 % only, and store the battery indoors when not in use. I test it with a multimeter for each charge.

Or is there anything in these battery mounts that can cause this limitation?.. or something in the motor itself?

I'd really be bummed out if I have to purchase a battery just to find the resolution. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
                            That may well be the cause of your problem. Never doing full charge means no balancing. Balance your pack! (do a long charge, see knowledge base)

Notice, also, the value of parts swapping to confirm what you think is going on.....;)
                            Last edited by JPLabs; 09-14-2019, 08:47 AM.

Comment

I have charged it to 100%~ every month or so, and the battery was purchased new in the spring (of 2019).
                              I charged it to 100% last PM but it registered to 57.1volt (approximately 93% of potential).
                              When I threw it in to the bike this AM it again only was somehow gated to less than 500w of power output to the motor.
                              Motor felt sluggish.

What I find strange is that it is charging somewhat OK, but it is gated/throttled.

Does anyone know if this could be an issue with the controller inside of the BBHSD itself, or the battery management system in the battery?

Would either of these cause this, or would they simply fault out and stop working?

Comment

Working...
                              X