Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JPLabs
    replied
    Good news! I don't really understand it....didn't know a controller could fail in a way to cause low power. But I'm no expert.

Leave a comment:

• baldwin
    replied
    1199 is the password

Leave a comment:

• Tommycat
    commented on 's reply
    Interesting. Is the password for the mini 1199 or 1919? Thank you for the solution.

• baldwin
    replied
    Motor is BBHSD mid-drive.
    Purchased from Canadian Supplier.

I purchased a new Controller (B-series) from California E-bike.
    It appears to have solved the issue... hopefully permanently .

I do need to purchase a better charger.

Leave a comment:

• Defjr333
    replied
    Couple things to check in addition:
    charger output voltage of 58.8v in 100% setting
    Charge pack at 100% setting and verify it is within 1v of 58.8v
    If charger output is lower than 58.8 u will never have full charge and proper balance...
    If charger is fine check voltage of batt pack after a full charge...if it does not reach within 1v of charger output, unplug pack from charger and let sit for 30 mins and charge again. If the pack does not come up to that value then, u may have damaged cells and cannot output the proper volts or amps.
    If all the above is good, try changing the wheel size to 19" and see what your output goes to. That will trick the controller into putting out a bit more by over riding any settings you cannot change without a prog cable. Fingers croased
    Last edited by Defjr333; 09-21-2019, 03:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Tommycat
    replied
    Was this hub motor provided by Luna? This answer makes it seem important...?

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...3753#post93753

Leave a comment:

• baldwin
    replied
    https://youtu.be/40kkzvz1jcU

another member posted the above video (to youtube) showing the exact same problem.
    the outcome was, replacement of controller alleviated/resolved the issue.
    the youtube video actually has a comment from another user with the same issue as the original poster's issue.
    glad to know that i am not alone.

I have ordered a new controller from california ebike; i would have preferred to order from Luna but they are out of stock, and i cannot wait a month to be back on the road.

fingers cross that this is actually the resolution that i need.

Leave a comment:

• JPLabs
    replied
    Originally posted by baldwin View Post
    I have charged it to 100%~ every month or so, and the battery was purchased new in the spring (of 2019).
    I charged it to 100% last PM but it registered to 57.1volt (approximately 93% of potential).
    When I threw it in to the bike this AM it again only was somehow gated to less than 500w of power output to the motor.
    Motor felt sluggish.

What I find strange is that it is charging somewhat OK, but it is gated/throttled.

Does anyone know if this could be an issue with the controller inside of the BBHSD itself, or the battery management system in the battery?

Would either of these cause this, or would they simply fault out and stop working?

Dunno then. I give up, sorry.

I charge it between 80 and 20 % only
    Last edited by JPLabs; 09-16-2019, 12:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• baldwin
    replied
    I have torn apart the bike.
    Rewired / re-soldered the battery harness to the motor.
    Took apart the motor and changed the clutch wheel.
    Checked out the controller in the motor (did not smell anything melted, though the thin potting has come off the top of the capacitor).
    I put everything back together, and still the motor is gated at below 500w of power.. and still there is no "oomph" to the motor.

Leave a comment:

• baldwin
    replied
    I have charged it to 100%~ every month or so, and the battery was purchased new in the spring (of 2019).
    I charged it to 100% last PM but it registered to 57.1volt (approximately 93% of potential).
    When I threw it in to the bike this AM it again only was somehow gated to less than 500w of power output to the motor.
    Motor felt sluggish.

What I find strange is that it is charging somewhat OK, but it is gated/throttled.

Does anyone know if this could be an issue with the controller inside of the BBHSD itself, or the battery management system in the battery?

Would either of these cause this, or would they simply fault out and stop working?

Leave a comment:

• JPLabs
    replied
    I located and installed my OEM bafang display, and the outcome was the same.

This leads me to know that it is not the display or settings.

Again, watt indication was 1/2 of what it should be.

Is there somewhere in this system that would create this sort of gating limitation?

Is it possible that the battery has a problem? I charge it between 80 and 20 % only, and store the battery indoors when not in use. I test it with a multimeter for each charge.

Or is there anything in these battery mounts that can cause this limitation?.. or something in the motor itself?

I'd really be bummed out if I have to purchase a battery just to find the resolution. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
    That may well be the cause of your problem. Never doing full charge means no balancing. Balance your pack! (do a long charge, see knowledge base)

Notice, also, the value of parts swapping to confirm what you think is going on.....;)
    Last edited by JPLabs; 09-14-2019, 08:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• baldwin
    replied
    And to confirm, I have used the password to access all of the settings, but they (the settings) are rudimentary. Nothing that would affect the power output. Regardless, swapping the display provided the same outcome.

Leave a comment:

• baldwin
    replied
    I located and installed my OEM bafang display, and the outcome was the same.

This leads me to know that it is not the display or settings.

Again, watt indication was 1/2 of what it should be.

Is there somewhere in this system that would create this sort of gating limitation?

Is it possible that the battery has a problem? I charge it between 80 and 20 % only, and store the battery indoors when not in use. I test it with a multimeter for each charge.

Or is there anything in these battery mounts that can cause this limitation?.. or something in the motor itself?

I'd really be bummed out if I have to purchase a battery just to find the resolution. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• JPLabs
    replied
    There are only basic setup conditions available on the Luna Mini display, such as wheel size, maximum speed, battery size, display output for battery (%/W), etc. I have changed everything to the conditions as indicated, such as 29" wheel, top speed set to various speeds between 30 and 75 kmph, brightness of display (3 bars), pedal assist levels (3, 5, or 9; mine is set to 5, but I have tried all 3 settings).

There is not a lot of options to drill down deeply in to throttle responses, etc. Nothing that would gate the ability of the motor to 1/2 of its total output capacity.

It is my belief that I will either have to A) purchase a programming cable or B) purchase a non-Luna display to see if it corrects the issue, and then move forward from there (hopefully with the issue resolved).
    It's a 500c display, albeit modified. But the 500c DOES have advanced menus, per this post, so I think there may be another more extensive level of settings for you to access. Or are you already using this password to get to the available settings you saw?

Sorry so vague, I don't have one myself...

Leave a comment:

• JPLabs
    replied
    Swap the display back and make sure power goes back up, then at least you can confirm it's not something else. Unless you already have....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X