Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bafang BBS02B started bucking, surging, power lag, and just acting crazy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bafang BBS02B started bucking, surging, power lag, and just acting crazy!

About 15 months ago, I installed a Bafang BBS02B on a Bacchetta Corsa recumbent bicycle (see photo). All went very well, great installation, smooth ride, et al, 'till about a week ago when going up a slight grade I noticed a momentary power loss/hesitation. While in power assist with pedals, I could feel bucking, surging, and power lags in my feet. I said, "Oh Oh!" As my ride continued, I could feel these sensations even more. The power output no longer matches what it did with settings at 0 - 6. Eventually, about 15 miles from my return destination, the mid-drive conked out completely, and I was left having to power up hills and over dales using only my legs. I am 82 and the others I was riding with were getting paperwork together in case I died or something. The first thing I thought of was an electrical failure somewhere in the mid-drive assembly. Then whilst reading here and other places, controller failure sounded like a possibility. At any rate, I would surely appreciate any advice I can get from you good folks out there. Thank you so much in advance.

Controller seems like the most likely culprit.

Comment

• giaruso
      giaruso commented
      Editing a comment
      Paxtana, that's kinda what I thought too. However, shortly after my original post, I rode my e-bike 'till it totally lost power. I, therefore, tested the battery. No power whatsoever. The problem was p__s poor design of the solder joints inside the battery mounting bracket (Bafang Ultra Slim 48V 11.6 Ah with Panasonic Cells). I had resoldered previously, but road vibrations rendered that fix also a failure. I repaired again; except, this time I have mechanical connections (to avoid melting the plastic plug) to the four inside prongs of the electrical plug, followed with dielectric silicone RTV potting to ensure nothing can move inside the bracket. To the extent possible, I have documented the repair here should anyone else ever experience my battery bracket failure. I uploaded some photos, but not sure they will connect to this reply. Thanks so much for your response.

By the way, I purchased the Play-Doh from the Dollar Store ($1.00, used to dam the silicon RTV); the electronic grade, 2.8oz, ASI 388 Silicon RTV for potting was purchased from Amazon (~$10.00). The electrical connectors were from the Home Depot. The padding (excess rubber carpet padding) goes under the the bracket. After a test ride: Quiet and as smooth as silk!

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Ah, yeah those hardcase connection points between case and cradle have always been problematic on any hardcase pack. That's why when we design hardcase packs we do away with case/cradle interface entirely. It is convenient but that convenience comes at the cost of being less rugged.

This just started happening to me today. It started out fine this a.m. until I got to my first hill. Ihave 46 miles on it and was in 2nd gear and it feels like it's just assisting on the left pedal pushes. The battery was also flashing so I'm going to charge it up and see if it was some kind of power issue. It has run perfectly over the last two weeks since I installed it.

Comment

• wpf
      wpf commented
      Editing a comment
      The battery indicator on my display was at 3 clicks and was going on and off. This is the first battery cycle so I wasn't sure if maybe it was telling me that it was running out of power? It did still have 3 bars though so I thought that would be strange.

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds more like a bad connection between the battery causing intermittent power issue, though I suppose I can't rule it out if you have no problem with throttle.

• wpf
      wpf commented
      Editing a comment
      i recharged the battery yesterday and checked connections and it worked fine today. needless panic. Thanks!

Relating to post by Dennis Giaruso for: "Bafang BBS02B started bucking, surging, power lag, and just acting crazy!"

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
    X