Commuter tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

waste of time
    Last edited by stts; 03-24-2023, 04:49 PM.

Comment

• Retrorockit
      Retrorockit commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep rode it until the slow leaking tires went flat, dumped it, then stole another one.

• Retrorockit
      Retrorockit commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't feel bad most of the bikes in Miami have been stolen twice.
      It's almost a form of bike share.

• Retrorockit
      Retrorockit commented
      Editing a comment
      Maybe MLK day Wheels Up Guns Down would interest you. The police started confiscating the dirtbikes and quads, so now it's a bicycle event.They ride I-95 enmasse and block traffic.
      My brother used to commute Miami, he moved to NYC where it's safer.
      Or maybe the Tuesday night Critical Mass rides. Hordes of cyclist form a peloton at night and ride all over the place. One car backed out of a driveway in front of them. 23 of them hit the same car.
      One guy here had 3 Ebikes stolen last Dec. 2 at once off his yacht while he was sleeping on it. This was FTL not Miami.
      Last edited by Retrorockit; 03-01-2023, 06:26 AM.

I updated the Tannus Tire Liner thread in DIY Forum and added some info about the weight of various flat resistant tires Vs. the Tannus liners.
    I ordered a couple of these for my bike. Kind of like pool noodles made for bike tires. 15mm thick which with Scwalbe Big Ben Plus e bike tires=20mm flat protection.. They claim smoother ride, better grip, and some run flat capability. I didn't watch any Youtube , I just dived right in like an average bicycle enthusiast As

Comment

• Retrorockit
      Retrorockit commented
      Editing a comment
      Bottom line here is that by careful selection of Schwalbe tires that don't have flat protection you can make up for the weight of a rear Tannus liner, and have better ride handling and flat protection, with no loss in acceleration. Schwalbe Tires NA has all the weight, tread compound and Ebike ratings listed.Only the Black Big Ben tires have all the features of the Big Ben Plus, without the heavy flat protection that isn't as good as Stan's in the tubes, and a rear Tannus liner.
      Schwalbe E-Bike Tires: Best driving comfort ✓ Latest technology ✓ Discover E-Bike Tires from Schwalbe North America online now!

Retrorockit, hopefully, you haven't had the "pleasure" with the safeguards in place, but what's it like fixing a rear flat with the Tannus liner?
    Last edited by ncmired; 05-04-2023, 05:51 AM.

Comment

• Retrorockit
      Retrorockit commented
      Editing a comment
      The only flat I had was a failed brand new inner tube. I'm running the Stan's Notubes type sealant inside the tube also. I haven't had a flat.It would take an object 1/2 inch long, and then a hole big enough to defeat the tubeless tire sealant in the tube.There is supposed to be some run flat ability with them. I wasn't very impressed with it. The broken glass, and steel cord tire wires that ere causing flats before don't seem to be an issue any more.

• Retrorockit
      Retrorockit commented
      Editing a comment
      When swapping to the lighter tires to make up for the tannus weight I broke doen the rear tire, and it wasn't bad. It wasn't as lippery as new, and it had molded itself to the shape of the tire. It came in and out with the tube. Still no flats.

I've got some time in on my new tire setup. Stan's Notubes or Orange seal in the front tube, Tannus liner in the rear (there is a separate thread on that). With Schwalbe Big Ben 26"x2.15" tires.
    These tires don't have the heavy flat prevention layers of the Big Ben Plus. Only the Black Big Ben tires have the Moped speed rating, and use a higher thread count casing than the others. They ride and handle much better than the stiff flat protected tires, and weigh less than those or the colored versions. No flats yet with this setup.

Comment

I just came across Rene HERSE Cycles. They're all bout Gravel and high performance Touring Bikes. Now these guys are hardcore racers. So prices are a bit steep. But they take performance seriously and do testing to see what actually works and what doesn't. Loaded touring bikes in the mountains are kind of like Ebikes to some extent.
      Here is their Tech Article page with a lot of info. on tires. They find that 26x2.3" is just as fast as anything else, and they run slicks on gravel and win!
      Product Information Tires Tech info Instructions and Solutions Brakes Cranks/Bottom Brackets Derailleurs Lights Fenders Racks Other Components Bike Tech Tires Why wider tires are not slower How wide is right for me? Tire pressure and performance Results of Bicycle Quarterly's tire tests Why 700C wheels…

Anyway here is the 26" tire page.

TBH the slicks won't end up on my Ebike. The occasional excursion onto wet grass at high speedss (planeed or otherwise) rules that out. My XC pedal bike will probably get some.
      Going from 26x2 Schwaalbe slicks to 26x2.3 and saving 160g. rotating mass each.
      But they have a reinforced version that may interest somebody.

Comment

I rode the almost slicks (Big Apple's) for a lot of miles and was planning to go back to them but I ended up getting the Extra Terrestrials that have some tread on them for the spring and fall where there tends to be a lot of sand and I don't think there is really that much difference in the rolling resistance and like you said about ending up in things like grass having a little tread is really nice. Maybe if I was to switch back and fourth in the same day the slicks would be a little smoother but with my current setup my ass is done well before my battery and the ET's are slightly larger so probably easier on the ass.

Comment

• Retrorockit
          Retrorockit commented
          Editing a comment
          I found the Big Ben to be much better than the big Apples. I see the BA as a light weight pedal bike tire. The BB has noticeably more traction when the tread is needed, resists flats better due to deeper tread, and wears longer.
          As far as being almost slicks, they both have the same surface to void ratio. Just deeper groove so they're just as "almost slick".
          Last edited by Retrorockit; 06-02-2024, 06:08 AM.

This is about as close to a slick that I run:

Click image for larger version

Name:	bike_0412.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	167524

Goat heads and all Click image for larger version

Name:	lol.gif
Views:	31
Size:	438 Bytes
ID:	167525

Comment

• Retrorockit
          Retrorockit commented
          Editing a comment
          Do the goatheads provide extra traction on ice?

• AZguy
          AZguy commented
          Editing a comment
          What is this ice you speak of? Only ice I know of is what is in my cocktails and I've never tried riding over a cocktail - at least not while in a conscious and sober state...

The goat heads provide better traction in the deep sand though =]

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20240614_183142733.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.46 MB ID:	167621​ Here are the Rene HERSE 26x2.3 gravel slicks. Supposedly just as fast rolling as tall skinny tires. These are the 410g. lightweight version, but there are reinforced versions also. Made for fast touring bikes. They aren't completely bald, they have a file tread on them. Sorry this one is not an Ebike. But it has the zip tie mod and an ENO fornt freewheel setup anyway. Since these racing tires don't have sidewall reflectors I have silver decal reflectors on the brake tracks on the vintage rims.
        Last edited by Retrorockit; 06-14-2024, 10:05 PM.

Comment

• Retrorockit
          Retrorockit commented
          Editing a comment
          I just bought a subscription to Bikerollingresistance.com. I found out that the Schwalbe Kojak slicks I had were actually one of the highest rolling resistance tires they tested. LOL They really have nothing else to recommend them!

Glad to see some dry ground there, retro. Hopefully you're not having to don swim fins when riding the bike.
        Last edited by ncmired; 06-15-2024, 03:42 AM.

Comment

• Retrorockit
          Retrorockit commented
          Editing a comment
          My neighbor hood is called Pine Island. It was an island all the way back before development here, so I'm good. But yeah 20" rain in 5 hours....No bike rides for a few days. But I was downtown for a meeting and I had to use my bike route to get out of there due to drowned cars and gridlock everywhere else.About a mile or so of axle deep water. You had to know where to cross the submerged curbs to do that route in an SUV.

Now that I have the RH Rat Trap Pass tires in hand I'm drawing some conclusions about them. This is based on my being a young car nut/ mechanic when radial tires were just coming into use for cars. Late 60's early 70's. Michelin was the only one that made steel belted radials. Others tried bias/belted ply tires to bridge the gap. Radials needed the belted construction to work.
        The advantages claimed for these are pretty much the same as for radial tires. Efficiency, smooth ride, and better grip. Mushy response, fragile sidewalls and vague straight a head stability are the downside. Steel casings solved the sidewall issue for most applications after Michelin's patent ran out.
        Using premium materials, and hand layup these tires offer the supple sidewall of a radial tire. They are recommended for narrow rims (lucky me). I think this provides a lateral preload to the cords when cornering and avoids drifting when straight ahead. I would take this advice seriously. So I see these as a big step towards radial tire performance for bicycle tires.
        RH calls them All Road tires. These are expensive tires $200 pair delivered. Maybe if you can avoid buying wider rims that could tip the scales in their favor some.
        These are racing tires. No EU speed rating, no reflective sidewalls, no tread to speak of. Strictly at your own risk, especially for Ebikes. I try thimgs on the pedal bike bfore using them on the Ebike. These lightweight versions will definitely stay there.

Comment

i got out and rode it some. Sidewalk slap is gone. I found myself in top gear easily on concrete even though the tires are taller. I need a bigger chain ring now. The sandy trails were a little more packed than usual from all the rain, but the file tread seemed very secure on the wet roots across the trail. The fine tread pattern didn't pack up, stayed clear under these particular conditions. The wider lower pressure tires that roll easy are really nice. Are they tough enough for commuting? Maybe the standard or reinforced versions. I'm liking the gumwalls more than I thought I would. Pretty happy with these tires for this bike.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	28
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	167644
          Rolling resistance test of Rene Herse slicks vs. their knobbies. They have a lot of tire info. on their website.​

Comment

• Retrorockit
            Retrorockit commented
            Editing a comment
            I see a sign of data manipulation here. An extra data point for the slicks, and an outlier time also. I removed the extra (last) point and got 14.30 avg. for the slicks. This is way below 1% difference so statistically insignificant.1.002 change in the slicks.
            Interesting info. here. Knobbies roll as fast as slicks, and these guys are running the slicks on gravel anyway. Do I need to buy another set of these godawful expensive tires to see what's going on here?
            These thing do seem to be kind of delicate. I don't want to mount an dismount them any more than necessary.
            Last edited by Retrorockit; 06-16-2024, 05:06 AM.

I'm really liking how these tires roll. Very smooth and very fast. This is my XC pedal bike, but I try things back and forth with the Ebike. Right now I'm using my Ebike flat prevention setup of tubeless sealer in the tubes. But with the Extralight tires on the XC bike I may step up to tubeless for even more weight savings and flexibilty. The HERSE ties are Tubeless Compatible. The claims they make all seem to be true. These only come in 2 tread patterns. Gravel Slicks, and low Knobbies. Neither one is what I personally need for the Ebike YMMV.

Comment

• Retrorockit
            Retrorockit commented
            Editing a comment
            The Extralight HERSE tires are a little sketchy for tubelss. Especially on vintage pre tubelss rims. I'm going with lightweight tubes and sealant instead. I might save another 100g per wheel.

Here's Rene HERSE tech info page on tire sizes and performance.
          Product Information Tires Tech info Instructions and Solutions Brakes Cranks/Bottom Brackets Derailleurs Lights Fenders Racks Other Components Bike Tech Tires Why wider tires are not slower How wide is right for me? Tire pressure and performance Results of Bicycle Quarterly's tire tests Why 700C wheels…

Comment

Working...
          X