SoFla commuter report.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SoFla commuter report.

I was driving downtown in the evening when I saw a converted Walmart MTB cruising along. Small hubmotor, small battery. He was riding at night with no lights, and since it was an MTB it probably came without reflectors. No bright clothing either. One of our local hipsters. I followed close behind him. I saw several cars almost pull out into him. I think they stopped for me and not him. I'm afraid the cyclists around here come form the same Darwin Award gene pool as the drivers. Adding a motor doesn't help.
    BTW no helmet either. But they aren't required for any motorcycle here either.
    Last edited by Retrorockit; 01-12-2024, 12:45 PM.

It's concerning to hear about the safety risks observed during the evening commute in SoFla. Proper lighting, reflectors, and safety gear are crucial for cyclists, especially when riding at night. Hopefully this rider will learn from the close calls or perhaps consider riding more defensively at night going forward.

Comment

Walmart bikes would certainly have come with reflectors. They may not have been in the right places or pointed in the right directions or properly tightened so they may have fallen off on the way out of the store.........

Comment

MTBs are exempt from CPSC reflector requirements. Hybrids and comfort bikes would have them. Offroad use supposedly. But now it's Escooter boards zooming around with no lights, helmets or anything. Unlit bikes and riders with no helmets or reflectors are normal here. The only thing unusual about this guy is he added a motor....

Comment

First two things I do when I get a bicycle:

Switch brake levers to the proper sides (front on the left)
          Remove unnecessary reflectors (only need the rear to be legal at night here) and cover rear reflector with mud for plausible deniability‚Äč

Comment

I get why 'kids' are invisible. Besides being generally indestructible they have not driven at night and seen how hard it can be to see things that are not cars on the roads at night. But adults that should know? Then there are the people that have various lighting systems that are distracting when its still daylight and at night you want to aim for them to make the pain go away.

Comment

I prefer to be invisible... then it's 100% on me to avoid... 'cus if someone leaves anything up to the cage drivers.. high risk of bad things.... I prefer to own it... and out here drawing any kind of attention to yourself just draws drunks and ragers...

Comment

Lights- day strobes and night. reflectors on tires or rims and fork legs. Coast Guard approved Air horn just in case that's not enough. Side strobes when crossing large intersections at night, or traffic circles. I've noticed a huge difference with the side strobes. it seems they take a moment to figure out what's coming at them.

Comment

Working...
                X