Rene HERSE tire testing article.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rene HERSE tire testing article.

A lot of info. on how tires actually work. Their testing results in some very expensive high end solutions. But also provide some very interesting options.
    Last week, we talked about how real-road tire tests have revolutionized our understanding of how bicycles work. We've looked at different ways of testing tires, and why it's so important to perform tests carefully and under realistic conditions. Today, let's look at some results of…

I'm really liking how these tires roll. Very smooth and very fast. This is my XC pedal bike, but I try things back and forth with the Ebike. Right now I'm using my Ebike flat prevention setup of tubeless sealer in the tubes. But with the Extralight tires on the XC bike I may step up to tubeless for even more weight savings and flexibilty.
    These tires are tubeless compatible,but the light weight versions have a reputation for being fussy about this. Latex inner tubes roll the same as tubeless, but lose air quickly. latex sealant works better with Latex tubes. Effetto Mariposa Caffelatex has a foaming action that coats the whole inside of the tube, so I'm going to try that next.
    Here is some info. on their dual purpose knobbies. I will need a different fork to try these on the Ebike 26x2.3 is a step to far for my bike.
    When Ted King recently won the Epic 150 gravel race in Missouri on our Rene Herse Steilacoom tires, many were surprised that he ran knobbies on a fast course. But there were a few muddy corners where the knobs would provide valuable grip, and Ted…

Rene HERSE 26x2.3 knobby Endurance casing (tread belt) 590g. This is one step up from their standard casing, there is also a heavier version.
    Schwalbe Big Ben 26x2.15 (std casing no flat protection) 760g. My current Ebike tire.
    So smoother ride, all surface traction, light weight, fast rolling (they lighten up your wallet too).
    So are high end gravel racing /touring tires good for Ebikes? IDK yet.

Comment

• Retrorockit
      Retrorockit commented
      Editing a comment
      TBH there are a a lot of people who have had problems with these Extrakight tires. Sidewall cuts, and failed tubeless conversions. MyBike paths and falt sandy trails should be OK for the sidewall issues, and I don't run tubeless anyway so for me it will probably be OK. but these are definitely not for everybody.
      Last edited by Retrorockit; 2 weeks ago.

I have some miles on these tires now and they really do live up to the hype.This is on my XC pedal bike, and at 70yo old i find myself riding that instead of the Ebike.I started with the sealed butyl tubes I had before, but doing some research I found that Latex tubes roll as fast as tubeless, so I switched to those. Mounting the delicate tires from their folded condition I wasn't sure about going tubeless, but now that I've mounted them a 2nd time I think they should be OK for that. I haven't put sealant in the tubes yet because I'm really liking the lightweight tire experience. Especially the smooth ride. They make some heavier casing but still lightweight tires for loaded touring. The Endurance casing is a tighter weave of the same lightweight cords as the ultralight, and the same expensive hand layup construction. They call them All Road tires. Slicks, and fast rolling knobbies are the 2 tread options. My climate is a little too damp to roll the dice on slicks. But much smoother ride, quick acceleration, and rolling efficiency are there to be had. I haven't found that flat protection layers or thick tubes do much to prevent flats. Especially the little ones from metal wires caused by blown truck tires. So sealant is the way to go, and with tubeless maybe the light supple tires are an option for those who don't tear up their sidewalls.

Comment

I put the bike in the back of my van for a couple days, and when I went out both tires were flat... I had some sealant put in the tubes and one tire came back up but the other went down again. I pulled it apart and found that the metal stem on the Latex tube was coming off. So the tires are OK but the Latex tube experimant is a flop. I tried to go tubeless on that tire, but my battery compressor couldn't set the beads on these very floppy tires. I could of course just put back the normal tubes with sealant that I removed before. But I may give a bike shop a shot at mounting these tubeless.
      This is a pedal bike experiment anyway. But things I learn on one bike often end up on the other.
      If you're running tubeless for low tire pressure I have a Tire Invader post in the DIY forum. I f i Put Rene HERSE tires on the Ebike it will have one of those.

Comment

• Retrorockit
        Retrorockit commented
        Editing a comment
        RH was out of stock on their TPU tubes. They have them in now so I've got some on the way. They suggest tubes with sealant for street riding. So I'll see what the full RH experience is all about.

• Retrorockit
        Retrorockit commented
        Editing a comment
        Bicycle Rolling Resistance .com
        Bicycle Rolling Resistance publishes detailed reviews and articles about mountain bike and road bike tires, which have been tested on our rolling resistance roller

They have a lot od free info. on which tires roll fast.RH tires do very well there.
        They have a one time paid tier. More info. on specific tires.This could save you some money if it keeps you from buying the wrong tires.
        I Know-rolling resistance and tire weight don't matter on an Ebike.Unless of course wide soft tires actually roll faster....
        Or you're talking over a pound of rotating mass, less rolling resistance, and no handlebar buzz......
        Last edited by Retrorockit; 5 days ago.
    Working...
    X