Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What have you learned from commuting by ebike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retrorockit
    replied
    I've had E.R. nurses telll me the same thing. They would rather be killed than be quadrapalegic. But I've crahsed solo with and without a helnet and much prefer the helmet for those situations. One thing from my time working as a course worked at Daytona, and Sebring is if your going to get hit jump up in the air just before you get hit. if your weight is on the ground you get knocked down and run over. If you're in the air you get tossed upwards but not crushed.

Leave a comment:

• ncrkd
    commented on 's reply
    Bet that got the adrenaline going!

I wore a reflective vest, helmet, and had the blinky light going when I commuted. I've been wondering if I should skip the helmet and instead wear a shirt that says on the back, "Aim for the head, not the buttocks!"

You know - make it a quick kill.

• Retrorockit
    replied
    I had a guy hit me the other day. Put his car in reverse and floored it for no apparent reason, then backed down the street a whole block and took off. I always cross 6' behind stopped cars and it was just enough. He only pushed my back wheel sideways. Obnoxious daytime strobe light , Coast Guard rated air horn blasting, Dayglo green helmet and jersey all meant nothing to this guy. Blind deaf, and dumber than hell!
    "Assume they're trying to kill you". Probably an understatement. It's more like the scene in Blues Brothers where Ray Charles is waving a gun around. 1500W BBSDHD was just enough.

Leave a comment:

• mecheic
    replied
    Yeah you are right and its best for daily because, considering the global warming and climate change, it is not a good option to use fuel driven vehicles. Also, as the rates of fuels are rising day by day, it’s difficult for a middle class person to afford such a vehicle that asks for so much of fuel every month.

Consider that you own an average class car. It must have cost you a millions of bucks when you had bought it.Plus, you have to pay a huge amount every month after its fuel expense, and you know how massive this expense is! Apart from this, it might be difficult for you to use it for daily commuting as the traffic on road is also increasing day by day.

On the other hand, even if you purchase the best quality electric bike from the best manufacturer in the world, it would not cost you even a half of what a car costs! Moreover, being environmentally safe, such vehicle does not require any fuel– no petrol, no diesel, no gas! What it requires is just the electric power to run it. And these vehicles come with a rechargeable battery and once fully charged, you just need to drive it on and on!

Take a paper and pen and sum up all these things together. You will be surprised by the results, for sure. Hence, the wise choice is to opt for an ebike for your daily commuting.

Leave a comment:

• quantumcloud509
    commented on 's reply
    I use bar mitts as well and they are great.

• Dan.shaner
    commented on 's reply
    I use bar mitts, and love them.

• thebootfitter
    replied
    Being predictable when riding is vital.

Probably equally important is riding like you assume drivers will kill you if given the chance. In other words, don't trust them to be predictable. Anticipate that every car may make a turn through your bike lane even if they are not signaling.

With an electric bike that can easily keep up with traffic on busy downtown city streets, I've learned that it is generally easier to drive like a car (waiting in line at lights, etc). In my experience, cars have been more predictable when I'm riding like a car/motorcycle instead of a bike.

Leave a comment:

• JPLabs
    replied
    I learned:
    1. Location is everything, if you want to bike commute.
    2. I like excitement, not terror.
    3. For my route, life expectancy would be short.
    4. You can't truly appreciate the low bar set to get a drivers license, from the seat of a car.
    5. You can't truly appreciate your OWN driving habits, from the seat of a car. My driving habits are not as bike-friendly as I thought they were. I have much better insight, now. I later caught myself doing things in my car, which would piss me off if I was on my bike.

#5 is my most valuable lesson, and was quite humbling.
    Last edited by JPLabs; 03-24-2018, 08:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

• eBikerSteven
    replied
    Couple of things I've learned are it's a great way to meet people. When I first came to San Francisco I knew nobody but by cycling daily I have made a few good friends many more than I ever made riding the train! Also, it helps to be prepared for rain it can be terrible riding in the wet if you aren't.

I wrote a little blog a while back about it you can check it out here if you like.
    Using an electric bike as your primary means of transportation is amazing. Riding through the summer months is probably one of the greatest perks. Soaking in the sun's rays, working on your tan and not having to pay for parking - what more can you ask for... However, winter, cold as it may be, is not without its own si

Leave a comment:

• Alan B
    replied
    Keeping the batteries at 50 degrees is a big help. If your batteries sat in single digit temperatures overnight you'd likely notice the reduction in performance.

Leave a comment:

• CPG
    replied
    I'll stick by my statement "I don't worry about it much!" By warming up under use, I meant internally, not enough to call "hot", or enough to denote a crappy battery choice. Enough to somewhat negate the cooler temp it's operating in. I keep my bike in a 50 degree shop, and lately am riding in low single digits, my batteries are enclosed somewhat, and if there is a difference, it's just not enough for me to be concerned about. As long as I have sufficient range I don't really care about a minor loss, it's not a dealer breaker.

Leave a comment:

• Eric Luna
    replied
    All lithium batteries like to run warm or even hot. they put out better performance as they heat up....

it is not necessarily good for the life expectancy of your battery to heat up your batteries...but from a pure pefromance stanad point they love it.

Leave a comment:

• Alan B
    commented on 's reply
    If your battery pack has low internal resistance (meaning if it is a good one), it won't heat enough during normal use to help much. Starting out warm helps a lot due to a good amount of thermal mass, and any insulation will help keep the warmth in the pack as you ride.

• CPG
    replied
    Originally posted by quantumcloud509 View Post
    Ok, so here is something new that Ive been dealing with as the temps are around 30 here during my rides....the battery doesnt like being too cold, does it? Seems like distance and power are affected, does anyone have any insight into this?
    Yes, but they also warm up a bit when in use, so I don't worry about it much. It sure can't hurt to start out with it fairly warm. I usually get cold before the battery gives out. I know my lithium battery in the plane, when doing a cold start, says to crank it a bit, then stop and wait 2 or 3 minutes, then crank it like you mean it. In other words, once putting it to work, I'd guess the cold is somewhat not a huge range killer. I had a 6 or 8 mile ride in 14 degree temps the other day, and really couldn't tell any difference in how it performed.

Leave a comment:

• Alan B
    commented on 's reply
    Yes, lithium batteries don't like the cold, their capacity drops and their internal impedance rises. Keep them warmer and they will perform better. If they start out warm they will stay warm for awhile.
Working...
X