Robust Rear Derailleur?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Robust Rear Derailleur?

I am looking at replacing my rear derailleur. It is the original Deore XT 7 speed derailleur from about 1991.

I am finding that the 11T nylon cogs are not lasting that long.

I also would like a bigger cogs, maybe 13 or 15T, so that the chain wraps the main sprocket more completely to avoid chain slip.

Any recommendations?

The other option is to go with an IGH, and then a maybe a single sprocket for 1/8 chain plus a simple chain tensioner...

I dunno about the larger cogs but I don’t have issues with chain slip either? I use an M750 long cage but it’s 1999 9 speed.

If it’s matter of being worn out, perhaps shop eBay for NOS or like new used?

Comment

I just started this same search for getting a backup set of cogs as I have been pretty harsh on my current set. I found there is Long and Short Derailleur's in general 30 teeth and above require longer and below that amount of teeth is shorter. Again this is just general talk that I can find at this point. It is getting more difficult to find 9 spd cassettes at least in a Dura Ace brand.

Comment

I picked up replacement 11T cogs but it didn't help the chain slip. The chain slip is a new thing after about 4000 miles. What I think it is is a combination of worn shimano HG50 (which only has 1000 miles on it) and the rear derailleur is not pivoting appropriately. This is with a new KMC X8.99 chain BTW. I will have to take apart the pivot and clean it out. Winter riding wasn't kind to it.

On the other hand...just picking up a $20-30 derailleur every few thousand miles might be the easiest... Shimano Acera RD-410 is $25 and the Shimano Altus RDM310 is $18.71

Comment

Do you have/use chain wear measuring tool? https://lunacycle.com/luna-chain-wear-tool/

One of the best tools to have for BBSXX drives. At the 1st hint of chain stretch, install a new chain. KMC is pretty hard, IMO. A worn chain will wreck much more expensive gears/cogs than a $10 chain costs.

Comment

• Galroc
            Galroc commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep, I have that tool. My new KMC X8.99 chain is within spec.

• H20man
            H20man commented
            Editing a comment
            I as well purchased that tool when I purchased my kit. Thanks for the note!

If it is slipping on your smallest cog and it is an 11 tooth unit that will happen with leg power alone. If you need an 11 tooth cog to get your gearing it would be best to go with a larger chain wheel.

Comment

• Galroc
            Galroc commented
            Editing a comment
            I have the biggest front sprocket, which I think is 46T. I don't think there is one bigger that will clear the chain stay.

Originally posted by ykick View Post
          Do you have/use chain wear measuring tool? https://lunacycle.com/luna-chain-wear-tool/

One of the best tools to have for BBSXX drives. At the 1st hint of chain stretch, install a new chain. KMC is pretty hard, IMO. A worn chain will wreck much more expensive gears/cogs than a $10 chain costs.
          I put a new chain on my bike and a Luna Eclipse and had all kinds of noise. I started head scratching and swapping parts and finally realized my rear cassette is worn. I had to pick up my old chain off of the cement floor and use it while waiting for a new cassette. The LBS didn't have a 12-23 that I wanted......calfee

BTW the old chain was stretched half a pin over 12 inches. I will keep chains and cassettes together from now on.
          Last edited by calfee20; 06-19-2017, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Also check the rear derailleur alignment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS2vd8N1Vos&t=3s

Comment

Working...
            X