Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The latest traffic hazrd in South Florida.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The latest traffic hazrd in South Florida.

I almost got taken out last night by the latest bad driving fad here.
    It involves getting in line to make aleft turn at a traffic signal. But instead of waiting for the turn light, or the car in front of you to go. If the other lane has a green light you jump in that lane and pass the left turn line and turn left from the wrong lane. I had the green light and was making a run for it when someone did this. Just missed him by riding into the right turn lane.
    Other south Florida moves are the Turn left when the staright lane light turns green. You can get in the intersection before the first oncoming car can go.
    Another one is to tailgate so you can't see anything but the car ahead,( normal Miami driving style) and when you see a turn signal pass them on that side becuase it's obviously the place to be.
    Bike lanes are actually just extra room for Dually Pickups with horse trailers.
    I've seen "Keep Off The Median" signs run over in the median. I've seen "Bike Lane " signs run over too. They had to cross the bike lane and the sidewalk to get that one.
    Last edited by Retrorockit; 10-10-2018, 08:19 AM.

Well it finally happened. I found myself riding in the gridlocked rush hour traffic. I usually just go to the back of the line at an intersection, but traffic was backed up for 1/2 mile, so when a car next to me went and the guy behind him hesitated I dropped in offf the sidewalk and took a lane. The guy behind me didn't like it and I heard the diesel pickup engine winding up. He got next to me crossing the intersection. But passing me wasn't good enough for this guy. He ran me off the road across a right turn lane also. I slowed down to slot in behind him but almost got taken out bt the lawn service trailer he was towing. The right turn only lane he was in ended 1/2 a block away, and he was going so fast he almost didn't make the turn and ended up partly jacknifed around the corner. WTF= Welcome To Florida.
    Being retired I usually have the option to avoid riding rush hour. I wasn't in the guys way at all. The only reason he got next to me was the car in front wasn't going very fast.

Comment

Another new fad here. Bicyclists are supposed to yield to pedestrians when riding on the sidewalk. Twice when crossin a pedestrian over pass where there is a concrete wall on both sides i've had pedestrians coming towards me intentionally move over so they're walking along both barriers to make it harder to get past them. Then move back to walking on the right after you go by. Oh well I gues i'd rather have this problem that sharing the road with the asshole drivers around here.

Comment

Moron this. They're getting creative again. Now it's Vespas on the sidewalk. I thought I was stretching the rules by riding an e bike on the sidewalk with assist turned to zero. Nope strictly an amatuer move around here. When you figure out that riding a Vespa in traffic is not a good idea around here, then riding on the sidewalk is the only solution.

Comment

• Retrorockit
          Retrorockit commented
          Editing a comment
          I've seen this 3x this week. Mostly in the Oakland Park area where the Vespa dealer is located.

Survived a hit and run today. I was coming out of a convenience store parking lot onto a side street at a major intersection. Some guy pulled up and stopped short of the light as if he couldn't decide which lane he wanted. I needed the lane on the far side of him. I rode across about 6 feet behind him when I saw the backup lights come on. I hit the air horn and the throttle. He didn't slow down at all. Backed up full speed a whole bock so I couldn't get his tag # and turned down a side street. The triple hollow downhill rims took the side load OK, but the fender was in the tire. i chased him but he stayed a block ahead and kept turning so I didn't get the tag. I know he lives in that area because there is no other outlet. But it's the only low rent white trash area left in Fort lauderdale, and half the guys in there drive beat up black Ford rangers. The trailer parks all got bought up and developed because they could be bought whole. But this area survives because it would have to be bought out one lot at a time.
        I went to my favorite waterfront bar and had a Rum and Tonic to smooth out the adrenalin, then had another one to even up the odds for the ride home.
        There were 3 witnesses at another low end convenience store around the corner. This is where people who got 86ed from the 7-11 gas station hang out. They were laughing their asses off. II the BBSHD hadn't pulled me out of the way it probably would have been all the same to them. My little brother moved to NYC because it's safer to ride there. They steal all your shit, but riding might be safer.

Comment

• Retrorockit
          Retrorockit commented
          Editing a comment
          I guess I didn't specify what actually happened with the bike. The rear wheel got pushed sideways and i'm missing about 6" of rear fender. I didn't go down, and the wheel is still pretty straight. 1500W BBSHD was just enough to get me out of harms way. I guess I need to adjust my distance for passing behind cars to 10'.
      Working...
      X