I don't share my road.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't share my road.

I usually avoid riding during rush hour. But I found myself coming home at that time today. Stopped to snap a photo of my favorite bike path, and why I don't want to share the road.
    The path is always that empty, But it's a real wind funnel. Just a cell phone shot into the sun. So no zoom.

I don't do streets... especially the busy ones... out here it's just a one mile grid of 45mph streets (which means 50-60+mph) with convoluted residential inside the grids and there's no way I'm riding on one of those big streets - even the few that have bike lanes. If I need to go half a mile on one I take the sidewalk which is legal out here.

I'm super lucky for local riding... my house has a rear alley that connects to the multi-purpose trails out here... there a literally well over a hundred miles at my disposal that cover all types of terrains and areas that I can access with out ever running along a street, just crossings.

My weekends often involve taking the bike to the desert or mountains...

Here's to f... the streets! =]

Comment

Is that a designated bike trail? Was it built just for bikes or is it some kind of service road that has been converted. Seems way too wide and nice to have been built for bike specifically. Must be nice flying by all those cars stuck in traffic right next to you, stress free on your private bike path. ;-)
      2018 Surly ECR 5spd IGH 29+: https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...id-drive-build
      2013 Niner Jet 9: https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...lectric-assist
      2016 Soma B-Side Belt Drive 3spd IGH: https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...v-custom-build

Comment

Technically it's multi use so the occasionall pedestrian. But one entrance on the street shown, and one exit a few miles away. It's mostly bikes. And few of those. Some of it has a rail fence on the canal side.There's actually about 10 -12 miles of it.
        There's a 1/2 mile gap at the end of what's shown there. Behind the wall is a large canal. After the gap it continues on the other side of the canal. You have to cross only the major streets that have bridges.
        I go east into Fort Lauderdale. Out West it just goes on and on to Markham Park which has MTB trails. I used to ride out there, but I would be too winded, and have the wrong tires to ride the trails.
        I have a blog in DIY about getting a 50x11-34 setup running. The 50x11 is just for this path. The 50x34 is so I can ride at pedestrion speeed in town.

Comment

Looks like we're fortunate here in the PHX metro area - the map here shows the bike trails... I don't care about the blue, green or purple, what matters is the red is all like what the OP posted, smooth concrete slab and even on a brilliant Sunday morning in Tempe when they are the busiest it's still pretty empty. The yellow is similar but is dirt instead of concrete, some is smooth and some not so much - those tend to run along the canals. The common blue squares are the 1mi street grid to put it in the distance perspective... there are hundreds of miles that are mostly connected even if a bit circuitously and I've found connectors that go through private neighborhoods and I just use those in the most friendly way...

Click image for larger version

Name:	BikeTrail.png
Views:	1
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	75949

Comment

My county was trying to put a network together. Ther are lots of trails posted multi use with icons of bikes, joggers, and horses. But then my local town of Davie will post a sign that says change of use, and it either gets gated off and becomes for the private use of the development it goes through, or becomes "zoned" by the city as equestrian use only. This used to be cattle land, and the cowboys stilll hold sway here.
            It doesn't help that clueless bikers ride up behind horses and start ringing their bike bells. I'm sure there's a map here but it's will probably be useless due to changes I described. I rely on local knowledge to thread together nice long rides with only a couple crossings of major intersections. It's very common here to be able to find a prallel side street with no one on it that goes the same place as the congested main road. I doubt if they're going to build any more paths now that they can just put some paint on the road and casll it bike lane.
            Last edited by Retrorockit; 6 days ago.

Comment

Working...
            X