I don't share my road.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't share my road.

I usually avoid riding during rush hour. But I found myself coming home at that time today. Stopped to snap a photo of my favorite bike path, and why I don't want to share the road.
    The path is always that empty, But it's a real wind funnel. Just a cell phone shot into the sun. So no zoom.

I don't do streets... especially the busy ones... out here it's just a one mile grid of 45mph streets (which means 50-60+mph) with convoluted residential inside the grids and there's no way I'm riding on one of those big streets - even the few that have bike lanes. If I need to go half a mile on one I take the sidewalk which is legal out here.

I'm super lucky for local riding... my house has a rear alley that connects to the multi-purpose trails out here... there a literally well over a hundred miles at my disposal that cover all types of terrains and areas that I can access with out ever running along a street, just crossings.

My weekends often involve taking the bike to the desert or mountains...

Here's to f... the streets! =]

Comment

Is that a designated bike trail? Was it built just for bikes or is it some kind of service road that has been converted. Seems way too wide and nice to have been built for bike specifically. Must be nice flying by all those cars stuck in traffic right next to you, stress free on your private bike path. ;-)
      2018 Surly ECR 5spd IGH 29+: https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...id-drive-build
      2013 Niner Jet 9: https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...lectric-assist
      2016 Soma B-Side Belt Drive 3spd IGH: https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...v-custom-build

Comment

Technically it's multi use so the occasionall pedestrian. But one entrance on the street shown, and one exit a few miles away. It's mostly bikes. And few of those. Some of it has a rail fence on the canal side.There's actually about 10 -12 miles of it.
        There's a 1/2 mile gap at the end of what's shown there. Behind the wall is a large canal. After the gap it continues on the other side of the canal. You have to cross only the major streets that have bridges.
        I go east into Fort Lauderdale. Out West it just goes on and on to Markham Park which has MTB trails. I used to ride out there, but I would be too winded, and have the wrong tires to ride the trails.
        I have a blog in DIY about getting a 50x11-34 setup running. The 50x11 is just for this path. The 50x34 is so I can ride at pedestrion speeed in town.

Comment

Looks like we're fortunate here in the PHX metro area - the map here shows the bike trails... I don't care about the blue, green or purple, what matters is the red is all like what the OP posted, smooth concrete slab and even on a brilliant Sunday morning in Tempe when they are the busiest it's still pretty empty. The yellow is similar but is dirt instead of concrete, some is smooth and some not so much - those tend to run along the canals. The common blue squares are the 1mi street grid to put it in the distance perspective... there are hundreds of miles that are mostly connected even if a bit circuitously and I've found connectors that go through private neighborhoods and I just use those in the most friendly way...

Click image for larger version

Name:	BikeTrail.png
Views:	1
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	75949

Comment

My county was trying to put a network together. Ther are lots of trails posted multi use with icons of bikes, joggers, and horses. But then my local town of Davie will post a sign that says change of use, and it either gets gated off and becomes for the private use of the development it goes through, or becomes "zoned" by the city as equestrian use only. This used to be cattle land, and the cowboys stilll hold sway here.
            It doesn't help that clueless bikers ride up behind horses and start ringing their bike bells. I'm sure there's a map here but it's will probably be useless due to changes I described. I rely on local knowledge to thread together nice long rides with only a couple crossings of major intersections. It's very common here to be able to find a prallel side street with no one on it that goes the same place as the congested main road. I doubt if they're going to build any more paths now that they can just put some paint on the road and casll it bike lane.
            Last edited by Retrorockit; 10-11-2018, 05:48 AM.

Comment

They're doing something to fix the traffis jam in the photo. They're making a divider so one lane goes through all the time. Unfortunately this mean when I'm coming the other way I won't be able to ride with the left turn traffic under the overpass and go straight ahead onto the bike path in front of the stopped cars. I'll be funneled into the crosswalk and in front of the traffic that doesn't have to stop any more. It's going to be a kill zone for anyone who's not expecting it. It looks like pushing the button for a pedestrian light is the new deal there. No way to get across as a traffic vehicle. I just found out that pedestrian overpasses were in the budget, but the locals used the money for something else. We actually have hitching posts required in our building code for downtown stores.

Comment

https://www.bicycling.com/news/a2533...-ride-florida/

Comment

I've been thinking about the accident that I posted above, and a couple incidens I've had. And I'm going to share my thoughts here.
                  There is a rule in Florida that allows cyclists to ride 2 abreast. It makes sense at the beach and on quiet side streets. But these riders were doing it on a divided highway with at least a 45mph speed limit where there is a bike lane provided. This accident happened on a curve. The driver probably saw the cyclists and assumed (reasonably not being a cycling law "expert") that they would be in the bike lane. But NOOO these cycling "experts"( who BTW come form the same SoFla bellignorent gene pool as the drivers around here) had gathered family and friends to excercise their obscure right to do something dangerous and stupid. I really feel for the driver who comes around the curve and finds riders unexpectedly and unnecesarily in the traffic lane.Use a little common sense people.

There is an incident I has a couple times before I figured it out. I should be able, traffic permitting, to move from the right edge of the road to the left turn lane and take a lane to make a left turn. Actually supposed to do it this way. I did it a couple times with no problems. Then one time I look and no traffic is coming down from the 3 level overpass that I had just crossed on the sidewalk due to no bike lane. I cross the road and suudenly I have vehicles coming at me OUT of the left turn lane into the direct lanes I'm crossing. No horns, no slowing, no avoidance. As if they didn't know I existed. They even seemed to be speeding up! Then they were gone. WTF (Welcome to Florida). A couple more times everything OK, Then it happens again. I'd better figure out what's going on here!
                  The left turn lanes it turn out are connected to an I-95 offramp with a traffic light hidden behind the overpass I had just crossed. You can't see the cars, you can't even see the road there. Those drivers are speeding up to merge with traffic and catch the green light they can see ahead. They're looking over their right shoulder back and up for oncoming traffic. If they did see me it would be too late to do anything. There is simply no way to safely do what I'm allowed to, and supposed to do there. I now go t the intersection on the sidewalk, go around the corner away from the left turm I want to make and come back up tthe light and take a lane to cross the intersection straight ahead with traffic. I call it a "P" turn. My point is don't think because you're following the rules, or are allowed to do something it will keep you safe.
                  You can be dead right. But you'll still be dead.

The really sad part of the accident above is right across the canal from where the accident oocured is the huge empty bike path shown in my photo above. Only out west where they were it isn't walled in but surrounded by mowed fields of grass and lined with trees. Since this was a planned Sunday morning group ride and not a route they had to take to get somewhere for work I would say they pretty much planned to have an accident. Sure as hell did nothing to avoid one, or try to have a safe pleasant ride in the country. That multiuse trail goes out to Markham Park which is also full of paths, trails and even an MTB park. Cyclist around here refuse to use the paths and trails provided.WTF?
                  They not only had a bike lane available, but a dedicated multiuse trail available to them. NOOO we can ride in the traffic lane of a highway.
                  I do believe in natural selection. But like evolution it seems to be taking too long.
                  Last edited by Retrorockit; 12-30-2018, 06:57 AM.

Comment

Wow, that was some accident. I too can’t believe that any group of cyclist should be riding “in” a 55mph auto lane (if that was the case and where they were hit). Sad for both the cyclist involved AND the driver.

Oddly enough the “only” inappropriate comments I receive on my e-assist bikes are from Roadies. In general, they clearly don’t like to be passed. Many get angry and frustrated over non-issues. The once common loud “CHEATER!” comment doesn’t happen that often anymore, but I recently had a kids custom bicycle license plate made that reads “CHEETAH” to put a humorous spin on those that don’t understand the enjoyment of riding.

There are great people riding road bikes, don’t get me wrong; but a little common sense goes a long way regarding bike safety. A few bad apples and ego driven group mentality can really spoil a wonderful sport.

My condolences to all involved.
                    2018 Surly ECR 5spd IGH 29+: https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...id-drive-build
                    2013 Niner Jet 9: https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...lectric-assist
                    2016 Soma B-Side Belt Drive 3spd IGH: https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...v-custom-build

Comment

Every move I make around here is based on trying to avoid being hit by a car. I almost never encounter roadies. They all want to ride in the bike lane on 45mph highways where everyone is going 55 or faster.
                      Every main road around here was made by dredging a canal to get the dry land to build the road on. Across the canal there is always a side street or service road that goes the same place as the main road only slower. Often with a bike path next to the canal. It's funny people on pedal bikes want to ride among motor vehicles, and I have a BBSHD and avoid them at all costs.

Comment

i live in augusta maine right now (moved from a small indiana town) and i have to say that as bad as the drivers in indiana were, up here they have to have graduated from Hellen Kellers driving academy for the blind deaf and dumb! seriously, maine is rated as the worst driving state now. i used to drive a 49cc scooter and i had my helmet grabbed whilst driving at 35 mph by passengers of passing drivers doing 50 in a 35 zone. he only let go when i put a karambit against his wrist and yelled: let go or lose a hand. i have had drivers tailgating until i go to make a left turn (with hand signal AND super bright indicators so i KNOW they saw, especially since they gave me the finger before doing the following) and they then dart into ONCOMING TRAFFIC to force me back to the right, just to make me miss my turn. even got run off the road by some jerk-off in a miata looking sissy mobile, with a cop a little ways behind him. cop ignored the incident even when i was lying at the side of the road dazed from my helmet cracking on impact with the ground, thus scrambling my eggs for a few minutes. i was doing 30 in a 30 zone. driver sped off at least 45. thankfully a concerned citizen (from Massachusetts by their accent and license plate) helped me out. i have even been hit in the helmet with a tire iron, when i lived in indiana.

this stuff is why i am a little scared to ride a bike i am building up here, because sidewalk riding is illegal especially with an ebike, and there are NO bike lanes that i have seen yet. the only thing that saved me on a bike in indiana was using an older model delta airzound horn that i modded for louder honks. i hope one of those is loud enough for this place. i am also going to be wearing a safety vest and use lights galore. i dont care if i blind drivers any more, at least they wont be able to claim they didnt know i was there any more. turn about is fair play as they say.

another reason i am nervous and always on high alert when riding is cause several years ago when in indiana i got a spine injury from a bike/vehicle collision. wasnt my fault, the driver was some unlicensed 16 y/o joyriding without permission in his daddies pickup who jumped a curb when i had just left the house. i hadnt even gotten out of my property line yet and they plowed into me from behind. bike was trashed, i had a case of cord shock that thankfully cleared up but now i am developing issues where i hit the edge on the hood/grill of the truck when i flew back.

i believe it is more dangerous to ride road anymore than offroad. egotistical roadies only exacerbate the problem. the biggest chunk of blame for the problem though still rests on aggressive drivers who constantly have their face in their phone whilst driving. that and a lack of enforcement of the 3 foot law in effect up here. i dont know why that law even exist cause no one follows it and it, as i said, is completely unenforced.
                        all this gives me a singular lack of tolerance for stupid drivers, and i ride the sidewalk whenever i can get away with it (when there are no walkers and none of the local LEO's are looking in my direction). i refuse to share the road with cars if i can avoid it

Comment

Fortunately the climate here forces windows up or the AC won't work. So not too much mano a mano going on. But that makes the air horn mandatory. It also makes pedestrians non existent except in town where traffic is slower. Local knowledge of the side streets counts for a lot here. The yahoo factor you're encountering is mostly a central/north Florida thing that I've avoided so far. I stick with what I know how to deal with. Avoidance and evasion is what works for me. Where I'm at we get drivers from everywhere this time of year. Many of them have never driven a car before until they rented one at the airport.

Comment

AZguy don't do street

AZguy got hit by a car at age 10

AZguy didn't forget

Comment

my back certainly hasnt forgotten when i got hit from behind by the truck. at least that punk was too freaked out to drive off afterwards. though he still tried to claim i was out in the middle of the road, when the tire tracks from the truck were clearly visible on the sidewalk... didnt end well for him, legally speaking. on the other hand it didnt end terribly well for me either physically speaking

Comment

Working...
                              X