Is there a way to lock up my battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a way to lock up my battery?

I'm new to e-bikes, just considering buying a Luna KHS 650 Lone Wolf. Just wondering, short of taking the battery with me each time, is there a device or a way to lock the battery to prevent theft?
    thanks !

Not familiar with that bike but every ebike i have had the battery locks in when you put it on the bike. You should get a key. Ask first

Comment

My Bafang kit has a battery held by velcro straps. I would love to have a lock.

Comment

The locks don't really "prevent" theft - they are incredibly weak and it would add at best a second or two of "prevention" that a screwdriver will get past with little effort... If I'm concerned the battery might be stolen when strapped to the bike, then even if it were locked instead in the same situation, I'd be removing it from the bike... but then again that doesn't sound like a good place to leave the bike long regardless...

Comment

This is my take on it - Make a custom battery box with a bolt on side case...Not 100% I know but better than having the battery out on display for all to see...Mind you, I dont leave this one anywhere...

Comment

Thinking maybe Luna could offer an electrification (or would the proper word be electrocution?) option for the wolf packs? Those metal decoration/bash strips on the case could be connected to a 'buzz' coil? May cut into your range a bit but not as bad as someone sealing your battery. Do bike thieves wear gloves? That could be a flaw in the plan.

Is just stealing the battery a big problem anywhere? My guess is most of the time people would be taking the whole bike.

Comment

In place of my Velcro straps, I now have something similar to hose clamps. Will take more time to steal but obviously not foolproof.

Comment

Think like a thief - best way to prevent theft... how would one steal a battery if so inclined?

I don't think there's a big market for used batteries that are in who-knows-what kind of shape but if I were going to steal one, it likely wouldn't take more than a few seconds no matter what folks do - worst case it might take a minute or two

So what's the point of trying to lock it to the bike? Like mentioned I agree that odds are that thieves are far more interested in the entire bike anyway...

Comment

I've been thinking of something like these lockable surfboard straps to wrap around my triangle battery pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MT7DGLH/ More a deterrent than a prevention, although it might be a sign that says "steal me".

Comment

My thinking is in most cases we are using some kind of lock to protect against the casual or just opportunistic thief that likely doesn't have any special field skills or tools. For those as long as what we do isn't complete garbage it should not take much to do the trick. For those I would not think batteries would be much of a target so again should not take much. For a professional bike thief I suspect there is very little you could do because they will know what has value and what is worth some trouble to get and know how to get em because they will know most locks and their weaknesses. I doubt there are a lot of lock pin pickers but lower skill methods like combs and rakes that may look like someone using a key are likely common methods.

Another huge often overlooked factor would be where you are locking and for how long and is this a regularly scheduled thing. Big difference locking up at the park at a random time for 10 mins while you go get some ice cream compared to every weekday 9-5 in a back alley or its locked up in front of your house except 9-5.

Comment

I think someone stealing a battery knows what they are stealing or they wouldn't bother stealing it - I also think most "thieves" aren't after batteries because they are very hard to sell... I'd be more inclined to think the most likely battery thief would be someone into electric bikes that covets a battery he sees and then built-in locks, locking straps, whatever, etc. aren't likely to slow them down one bit

Slightly different notehe locks in sharks and dolphins are just two pin tumblers, super easy to pick

There was a fellow on this or another board that lost his key and was really stressing since he couldn't remove the battery... I let him know they were super easy to pick and he reported back he read/watched something on the internets and picked it in very short order

Comment

Working...
                      X