Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone using or have tried a 'dry' or wax chain lube?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think for guys that come from the moto world, chains (even somewhat "expensive" ones) and most bicycle parts (at least until you get into the super high end) seem dirt cheap by comparison to the moto stuff and puts it all into a whole different perspective... the bikes are also a lot easier to work on than the motos...

Kept trying to tell a friend she should get a new chain, hers was all rusty and the master link looked like it was going to fail at anytime... took her at least six months after my first pointing it out... she kept saying she should order one online... I just kept telling her to go to the LBS, they aren't expensive.... finally she spends the $12 on the chain, rides the bike to my workshop and I put it on in less than five minutes... she wondered why she put it off after that =]

Comment

Drives me nuts when I am out on a ride and hear a squeaking chain. Soooo easy to fix even if you just use WD40 which everyone has at lest one can missing the straw around the house. Squeaky brakes bother me too but after having discs on my own bikes that I could not get to stop squeaking that then suddenly quit or start again on their own I am a little more forgiving about that.

Comment

Have you tried WD40 on the squeaky brakes? Just kidding

Do you have metallic pads? They tend to squeal unless bedded in really well and even then they may. Organic pads are usually very quiet but at least for me last about 1/5th as long as the metallic...

Comment

I know the one I replaced is metallic and I'm not positive what the others are since I didn't get any of them new in the package. I like the metallic and have a spare set so unless I start to have issues with them that is likely what I will stay with. Both my bikes have the same brakes now so same pads. Unless I'm on the mountain bike trails I'm getting better about using both brakes which really seems to reduce wear so I don't expect to go through pads as fast as I originally thought and was experiencing.

Comment

Yeah - I'm way better off with metallic but they do have a tendency to make noise... maybe try re-bedding?

Comment

My street bike which is mostly what I am riding at the moment has been good recently except for an intermittent chirp from the front. No noise while braking so I assume its just the moving pad maybe not returning all the time. A light flick on the lever it stops. With all the wet salt and sand I have been in I'm happy its not worse.

The fat bike feels like its been months since I rode it so I can't remember if that was making noise or if it too had quit. Last ride it was in snow and it was snowing but warm enough that on the way to the trails I went through massive salt puddles so I'm expecting to find some things stuck on that one. We are in the start of what is likely a month long thaw and dry out period now so trails are all closed anyway. My new Salsa front hub for this one just came today so I should go see how many nipples are stuck and if I had the correct data for the spoke calculator. It said if I flip the sides I should only be 1 mm off on the length. Also need to see if I remember how to build a wheel, its been a couple (ok maybe 25) years.

Comment

• 73Eldo
                73Eldo commented
                Editing a comment
                That is the video I have cued up and paused already. I thought I remembered more than I did. I was sitting with all the parts in front of me and could not remember what step 1 was. I will be thrilled if I get it laced tonight. Tomorrow is supposed to be nice so I may ride instead of spending the day truing a wheel. Lucky for me I still have a park stand that I got the upgrades for last summer to do 29's and fats. Got a park dish gauge and even found a nipple driver I have not touched for 25+ years.

• 73Eldo
                73Eldo commented
                Editing a comment
                Hmm according to this site I have only taken an hour to get it laced. Phase 2 I got all that side in and was off one hole but caught it before I got to phase 3 so it was an easy fix. I think I got it done correctly and it didn't take too long. Can't tell yet how my spoke length came out. Will likely find out tomorrow maybe while the battery is charging for a ride.

• Retrorockit
                Retrorockit commented
                Editing a comment
                I tried some generic copper metallic pads, and they were always noisy. I got some EBC bronze pads, and the rears were OK but the front were noisy until I scrubbed the old lining material off of the rotors with some 1500 grit sand paper. Now the fronts are silent, and I need to sand the rears a little to get them to be as quiet. So i'm finding that brand name metallic pads, and rotors scuffed clean can be quiet brakes. Scotchbrite or other abrasive pads would probably work just as well

My brake noise appears to be run out in the rotor just lightly contacting the pads. I put a little of the paste stuff on the backing plates for auto brakes and that seemed to help most of the ride. It started a bit near the end of the ride but I'm not sure if that was because cooling ambient temps or maybe sight pad wear increasing the clearance. Could also be some moderate use changed the runout.

On the chain lube front before yesterdays ride I switched to the Squirt Ebike formula now that it should stay above freezing. It goes on about the same as the low temp stuff but seems to turn clear in maybe 15 mins vs over an hour for the low temp stuff. So far I got no complaints. Its way cleaner than regular lube for sure, I had to pull down the spare bike that has regular lube on it so I was able to compare how much cleaner the wax is.

Comment

Working...
              X