Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinion: Whats the best tire width for electric bike?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a 20x4 fatbike. I wanted the wider tires for stability but i dont really feel that stable with wide tires, but its also 20"

Comment

I'm on 2.5 Maxxis Hookworms that I'm happy with. No flats so far, but only got a few hundred miles so far.
      I didn't like the knobbled edges of the tyres on before: felt very squirrely under fast hard surface cornering.
      I'm yet to find the limits of these so far; pitching in to roundabouts is great fun with the power to pull back out!

Comment

Serious mistake. Ran some 1.5 inch tires thinking harder and thinner faster and better range. To easy to lock up wheels and not stop. Going back to all purpose knobby on outside and smooth in center probably going 2 inch schwalbe marathon plus. Compromise. The difference in speed and range are not worth the minimum safety factor. Just higher pressure when conditions warrant, lower pressure.
        Last edited by Gr8fun; 02-19-2017, 12:28 PM.

Comment

I am also running Schwalbe Marathon Deluxe tires. 26x2.125 I think. There was a significant reduction in rolling resistance and nose compared to my Bontrager Connection tires of similar size. I haven't put alot of miles on them yet as I work through some ebike issues.

Comment

My favorite size by far has been 24x3. I've started running Felt Thick Bricks (previously ran Kenda Flames) and like them much better. The rounder profile lets you lean more comfortably. At 20 PSI I am sure that I'm wasting a few watts but the ride quality is amazing. I averaged 8 Wh/mi today at an average speed between 15 and 16 mph on my cruiser. The rolling resistance was definitely improved with the swap.

My ebikes have run:

24x3 (Felt Thick Bricks, winner!)
            24x3 (Kenda flame, comfy but I don't like the tread lip)
            26x1.5 (road tire, bad choice)
            26x1.75 (MTB, did okay)
            26x2.125 (cruiser tires, pretty decent)
            26x2.125 (MTB tires, did okay)
            26x2.5 (MTB, love 'em)
            26x3 (Kenda Flames on the back of a trike-comfy!)
            29x2.125 (Kenda Small Block 8, not bad!)

Comment

My current tire is the Maxxis Hookworm 26x2.5, does ok but I've had 3 flats in 875 miles. Previously rand Kenda 26x1.75 ebike tire, and although I suffered 0 flats the ride was extremely rough. Not sure what my next set will be, probably something in the 26x2.0 to 2.25 range as the Maxxis are a little more prone to flats. I have logged in roughly 1400 miles in 10 months of commuting, so I guess 3 flats are nothing to really sqwawk about.

Comment

from 27.5 x 2.1 tire i switched to 2.3 tires and i think im not gonna go lower anymore, i'm happy with my tire setup right now Onza Ibex Front & Rear

Comment

26X4
                  Origin8 Supercell 30 TPI is available and 120 TPI
                  Reviews are great... anyone used them?
                  My choice for commuting up to now.
                  http://www.origin8.bike/product-desc...odel_uid=12612
                  Pictures here https://electricbikereview.com/forum...t-tires.13955/
                  Last edited by Varoum; 1 week ago.

Comment

I jave the Kenda Kross Plus Front/Rear Slick XC Tire, 26 x 1.95".

They are pretty good. I run them at low enough pressure to only use the "slick" center strip on pavement. For my 200lb and almost 60lb ebike that seema to be somewhere between 20 and 35psi. They do benefit from wider rims, but work on most skinny-is MTB rims too, just require more pressure, like 40psi or more for my weight.

I got perhaps 300 ebike mikes on them, maybe another 300 regular miles before that.

Good price, solid tires. I think a non-knobbed tire would of course have better cornering traction on asphalt, but these give some extra grip in mud or grass. And they have excellent dry weather traction IMO. Relatively quiet compared to knobby tires, noisier than true slicks, but not terrible.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

Working...
                    X