Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinion: Whats the best tire width for electric bike?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strictly road use . Continental CONTACT Plus City . I've put 2001mi on them .E-bike E-50 rated , 2.25in width , very low rolling resistance. Heavy though at about 1 pound each . In fact any of the CONTACT tires are decent and very strong. Going 40mph + downhill and hitting a pothole is fine with these because of their strong side walls. German tech also. I've never understood people who use knobby tires on sealed roads Click image for larger version  Name:	Continental-Contact-Plus-City-Performance-SafetyPlus-Breaker-27-5-Wired-Tyre-59122-0-1549981602 (1).jpeg Views:	2 Size:	126.6 KB ID:	89172
    Last edited by joebreeze; 2 weeks ago. Reason: Why not

Comment

• pure_mahem
      pure_mahem commented
      Editing a comment
      Sometimes we arent using those knobby tires by choice. They just happen to be the best option. I have a fat bike and run 26x4.75 99% of my travel is on pavement. Its either take a durable knobby tire and compromise a bit of mileage and some noise or suffer constant breakdowns, flats, blowouts because the street tires just dont have the durability. Id love to get better mileage and have a quieter ride but until manufacturers put out a durable fat tire knobbies it is. Not riding FAT is not an option!

Just mounted a set of Schwalbe Super Moto-X tires 27.5x2.8...they roll a lot better and are a lot quieter than the Maxxis DHF/DHR combo I was running.

The Schwalbe's are ECE-R75 ebike rated for 50 kph....pretty awesome tires for the pavement IMO.

There may be higher load rated tires out there but the Super Moto-X has the highest load rating of any bicycle tire I could find with the ECE-R75 certification.

Here is a link to the Schwalbe site: https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_t...s/super-moto-x

Comment

Originally posted by joebreeze View Post
      Strictly road use . Continental CONTACT Plus City . I've put 2001mi on them .E-bike E-50 rated , 2.25in width , very low rolling resistance. Heavy though at about 1 pound each . In fact any of the CONTACT tires are decent and very strong. Going 40mph + downhill and hitting a pothole is fine with these because of their strong side walls. German tech also. I've never understood people who use knobby tires on sealed roads Click image for larger version Name:	Continental-Contact-Plus-City-Performance-SafetyPlus-Breaker-27-5-Wired-Tyre-59122-0-1549981602 (1).jpeg Views:	2 Size:	126.6 KB ID:	89172
      That's a very nice tire for asphalt roads. the asphalt itself provides all the tread pattern you need. I use the Schwalbe Big Apple Plus which has a little more tread because sand on concrete is not uncommon around here. If I wasn't running the Schwalbes I would be running those.

Comment

Working...
      X