Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinion: Whats the best tire width for electric bike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strictly road use . Continental CONTACT Plus City . I've put 2001mi on them .E-bike E-50 rated , 2.25in width , very low rolling resistance. Heavy though at about 1 pound each . In fact any of the CONTACT tires are decent and very strong. Going 40mph + downhill and hitting a pothole is fine with these because of their strong side walls. German tech also. I've never understood people who use knobby tires on sealed roads Click image for larger version  Name:	Continental-Contact-Plus-City-Performance-SafetyPlus-Breaker-27-5-Wired-Tyre-59122-0-1549981602 (1).jpeg Views:	2 Size:	126.6 KB ID:	89172
    Last edited by joebreeze; 06-30-2019, 11:01 PM. Reason: Why not

Comment

• pure_mahem
      pure_mahem commented
      Editing a comment
      Sometimes we arent using those knobby tires by choice. They just happen to be the best option. I have a fat bike and run 26x4.75 99% of my travel is on pavement. Its either take a durable knobby tire and compromise a bit of mileage and some noise or suffer constant breakdowns, flats, blowouts because the street tires just dont have the durability. Id love to get better mileage and have a quieter ride but until manufacturers put out a durable fat tire knobbies it is. Not riding FAT is not an option!

Just mounted a set of Schwalbe Super Moto-X tires 27.5x2.8...they roll a lot better and are a lot quieter than the Maxxis DHF/DHR combo I was running.

The Schwalbe's are ECE-R75 ebike rated for 50 kph....pretty awesome tires for the pavement IMO.

There may be higher load rated tires out there but the Super Moto-X has the highest load rating of any bicycle tire I could find with the ECE-R75 certification.

Here is a link to the Schwalbe site: https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_t...s/super-moto-x

Comment

Originally posted by joebreeze View Post
      Strictly road use . Continental CONTACT Plus City . I've put 2001mi on them .E-bike E-50 rated , 2.25in width , very low rolling resistance. Heavy though at about 1 pound each . In fact any of the CONTACT tires are decent and very strong. Going 40mph + downhill and hitting a pothole is fine with these because of their strong side walls. German tech also. I've never understood people who use knobby tires on sealed roads Click image for larger version Name:	Continental-Contact-Plus-City-Performance-SafetyPlus-Breaker-27-5-Wired-Tyre-59122-0-1549981602 (1).jpeg Views:	2 Size:	126.6 KB ID:	89172
      That's a very nice tire for asphalt roads. the asphalt itself provides all the tread pattern you need. I use the Schwalbe Big Apple Plus which has a little more tread because sand on concrete is not uncommon around here. If I wasn't running the Schwalbes I would be running those.

Comment

I"m located in Australia and do 100% suburbia street ride, no tracks. The best tyre I found is the Schwalbe Moto X. I have travelled 1500 kms puncture free but I do watch the road for glass, nails etc. It's very smooth, plenty of grip and rolls like a breeze. Size is 27.5 x 2.40, pressure is at 35 psi which I find is ideal at my 88 kgs body weight and for cornering. At this pressure, I get the full tyre surface area grip on the road. Any higher, the middle makes more contact than the edges, bit like a 23C racing tyre.
        I actually upgraded to DT Swiss Ebike specific rims, hubs and thru axles all round. I put no effort into pedalling with these rims and tyres. The thru axle centres my wheels 100% perfect compared to the skinny traditional skewer type locks. I got 10 mm thru axles at the rear and 9 mm at the front. It is very secure and gives me confidence when rolling down a steep hill and riding it hard. The hubs are specifically made for ebike MTB.
        It's a well worth investment that I do not regret making, any future ebike I get will definitely have this setup.

Comment

I've been really happy with the 2.4" schwalbe Moto xs I put on my bbshd anthem. My commute includes about a mile of towpath which they do fine on plus another 36 paved (rt). The rolling resistance has been great, and they feel great leaning into a corner. After coming from a Cervelo R3 road bike with 700x23 tires, I tried a light and skinny ebike, a Cannondale mtb with 1.8" tires. Adding some meat under me definitely smooths out the high frequency vibrations.

I've nuance is that it's hard to get the tire mounted evenly to reduce vibration at speed. It's almost like it needs balancing like a car wheel. I notice when I test my rear wheel in my work stand with the throttle. The wheel send true, but there's a lump in the rotation.

Comment

Came across some Vee Tire Co Zigzag White Walls the other day while doing some net surfing. I like the looks of them for a Fat Bike pavement tire excluding snow season. Anyone had any experience with them as to their durability? Seems a lot of the promising options for a Fat Pavement Tire have only been laid in the dust with excessive flats and overall just not holding up.

Comment

Originally posted by pure_mahem View Post
              Came across some Vee Tire Co Zigzag White Walls the other day while doing some net surfing. I like the looks of them for a Fat Bike pavement tire excluding snow season. Anyone had any experience with them as to their durability? Seems a lot of the promising options for a Fat Pavement Tire have only been laid in the dust with excessive flats and overall just not holding up.
              I have had no trouble with flats on my Vee Tire Speedsters.

bicycle tire,bike tire,fat bike,fat tire,fat tire bike,BMX tire,Mountain Bike tire,Plus size,Road bike tire,foldable tire

Comment

Although I have been running the Schwalbe Super Moto-X 27.5x2.80 and it has been working great, my MAC motor tends to run a little too hot so I need to go to a smaller diameter wheel/tire. Checked around and the Schwalbe Crazy Bob is the widest 24" tire that I could find with the ECE-R75 certification for 50 KPH ebike use. There is a Vee Tire...Mission Command 24x4.00 and a 20x4.00 that meets the ECE-R75 certfication but the 24" is too tall and the 20" is smaller in diameter than the 24" Crazy Bob plus the tread pattern and the longevity won't work for me.

So I am going to a Schwalbe Super Moto-X 26x2.40 on the front and a Schwalbe Crazy Bob 24x2.35 on the rear with a 12T MAC motor and a 14s (52v) battery.

The 27.5x2.8 Moto-X was OK as far as motor temperatures as long as I was on level ground and didn't stop and start a lot. Just FYI, the Grin Tech Motor Simulator is a great tool: https://www.ebikes.ca/tools/simulator.html My only recommendation is to use a Grade of about 2% if you are trying to get realistic motor temperatures because if you use 0%, it is accurate but who rides at 0% all the time and never starts and stops :).

Fred...I am running the Vee Speedster 26x3.5 on a bike with a BBSHD (42T chainring, 22T freewheel, and 14s battery) and it has worked well so far. It isn't ECE-R75 certified for ebike use so I just keep an eye on it and run it inflated to the max recommended pressure which is 36 psi.

Comment

Could you just change the gearing to match the tire diameter better?

Comment

• calfee20
                    calfee20 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hub motors both geared and direct drive have a "winding" that gives them an optimum rpm. This leads to smaller tire diameters.

• Retrorockit
                    Retrorockit commented
                    Editing a comment
                    OOPs-Missed the hub motor reference.

Originally posted by Bullfrog View Post
                  Although I have been running the Schwalbe Super Moto-X 27.5x2.80 and it has been working great, my MAC motor tends to run a little too hot so I need to go to a smaller diameter wheel/tire. Checked around and the Schwalbe Crazy Bob is the widest 24" tire that I could find with the ECE-R75 certification for 50 KPH ebike use. There is a Vee Tire...Mission Command 24x4.00 and a 20x4.00 that meets the ECE-R75 certfication but the 24" is too tall and the 20" is smaller in diameter than the 24" Crazy Bob plus the tread pattern and the longevity won't work for me.

So I am going to a Schwalbe Super Moto-X 26x2.40 on the front and a Schwalbe Crazy Bob 24x2.35 on the rear with a 12T MAC motor and a 14s (52v) battery.

The 27.5x2.8 Moto-X was OK as far as motor temperatures as long as I was on level ground and didn't stop and start a lot. Just FYI, the Grin Tech Motor Simulator is a great tool: https://www.ebikes.ca/tools/simulator.html My only recommendation is to use a Grade of about 2% if you are trying to get realistic motor temperatures because if you use 0%, it is accurate but who rides at 0% all the time and never starts and stops :).

Fred...I am running the Vee Speedster 26x3.5 on a bike with a BBSHD (42T chainring, 22T freewheel, and 14s battery) and it has worked well so far. It isn't ECE-R75 certified for ebike use so I just keep an eye on it and run it inflated to the max recommended pressure which is 36 psi.
                  Maxxis hookworms are available in 2.5 X 24 inch "507mm" rims. Most every time you see some one doing a speed run it is on hookworms. Both of my trikes have 24" rear wheels. The scorpion uses a new Schwalbe 55x507 Big ben plus.

Click image for larger version

Name:	big_ben_plus_0_0.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	91958

I used a set of crazy bob's on my KMX trike and couldn't get them off fast enough. They were very harsh and transmitted road vibrations through the handlebars so much it made my hands itch. I ended up with a pair of supermotos on the front of that trike. They give a very nice ride..

Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20190429_11_13_47_Pro.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	237.7 KB
ID:	91959

That is a 24" Hookworm on the back.

Comment

Calfee....Thanks for the info. I may give the 55x507 Big ben plus a try...they have a little better puncture protection than the Crazy Bob's and I have had problems with punctures lately.

I have always liked the Hookworms but wonder how they'll hold up since they aren't ECE-R75 rated....Maxxis makes good tires IMO I may give them a shot too since they'll give me a little more cushion being a little wider.

Comment

Word of caution...DON'T use a rubber based rim strip on a fat tire rim with lightening holes in the rim...by "lightning holes", I mean the holes that are in the rim to make it lighter and usually they are about 1" in diameter.

I used a rubber rim strip that was 90mm wide and seemed to be working great until it didn't...the rim strip failed (actually tore thru one of the lightening holes in the rim) and the tube instantly blew/deflated. Luckily I had just gotten off the bike and wasn't riding. I went to a 85mm wide PVC based rim strip that Origin 8 offers. Be careful out there :).

Edits below to answer comments.

pure_mahem....I was not running tubeless, had Maxxxis Fat Tubes 3.8-5.0 x 26.

JPLabs...agree, I have seen some good rim strips made out of Nylon as well as the PVC I went with.
                      Last edited by Bullfrog; 09-10-2019, 03:25 PM.

Comment

• pure_mahem
                        pure_mahem commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Were you running tubeless? If so were your rims taped? if so with actual tubeless rim tape or gorilla tape?

• JPLabs
                        JPLabs commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The fabric strips are real tough and light too. Nylon I think, thin, don't bulge out much.

I have spent a LOT of time researching tires and IMO there are two brands that stand out above the others if you want something that is 55mm or wider AND ride mainly on paved surfaces...Schwalbe and Maxxis.

Schwalbe options I like include:
                      27.5" Super Moto-X 27.5x2.8
                      26" Super Moto-X 26x2.40
                      24" Crazy Bob 24x2.35
                      24" Big Ben 24x2.15

Maxxis options I like include:
                      26" Hookworm 26x2.50
                      24" Hookworm 24x2.50

If you don't mind going narrower...there are a LOT of options by both companies as well as Continental. I like to go fairly wide just for a more comfortable ride...the wider tires give a little more cushion :).

Vee Tire, Duro, and a few other companies offer options that are ECE-R75 (ebike 50 kph) rated but my results have not been as good as with Schwalbe and Maxxis.

Just FYI, the Maxxis tires above are not ECE-R75 certified but they are pretty tough tires and I have not had any trouble with running them around 30 mph for extended periods of time. The Schwalbe web site does not show the 26" version of the Super Moto-X being ECE-R75 certified but I checked with Schwalbe and it is. So all of the Schwalbe tires I listed are ECE-R75 certified.

Comment

Awesome info in there Bullfrog. I have not use many combinations of different brand tires, as I am fairly new to ebike(only a year). But my first build used Duro 26x2.5 and I hated them. Cornering was just horrible. Currently I use Ruffer V2 26x3 and love them. They handle cornering at higher speeds very well with no side wall flexing, and after 400 miles, almost no tread loss. Still not much testing there, but so far so good. I do want to find a different brand as the Ruffers have to be shipped from Europe adding to the cost. But not many companies are offering 26"x 3"+ tires to go on a 65mm rim with my all important requirement of coming in an off-white/ creme color. Hard to find beasts they are.

Comment

Working...
                        X