Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinion: Whats the best tire width for electric bike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• commuter ebikes
    replied
    I use 26" Vee Snowshoe 2XL tires at 20psi front and rear and I couldn't be happier. They have an outer diameter of 31.5" and a width of 5.05". I use them on the pavement at an average speed of 28mph on a bike with no suspension (hardtail, fork), a rear hub motor, and most of the weight in the rear. The rear tire is projected to last 1000 miles and the front tire seems to not wear at all. I have had no flats in 800 miles and counting.

Leave a comment:

• JPLabs
    replied
    Fatter, softer tires will roll way easier on softer surfaces, as opposed to narrower tires which sink into the ground.

Fatter tires soak up bumps better. They also handle worse and are less efficient, the harder the surface and the faster you go. Wider tires are more likely to hit sharp road debris and get punctured, since they cover a wider path.

The more you tend to go slow, ride soft surfaces, and like smoothing bumps, the wider the tire that probably suits you. For street handling and range on pavement, go narrower and harder.
    Last edited by JPLabs; 12-04-2016, 08:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• calfee20
    replied
    The whole trend in bicycles is fatter and fatter tires. They have found that fatter tires roll easier and it is not until you pass 12 mph or so that the air resistance of fatter tires becomes a negative. http://www.schwalbetires.com/tech_in...ing_resistance This is a quick read with great info.

I have a cruiser with 26X2.125 tires and I have ordered a replacement bike with 26X3.50 tires. I also plan on moving up to 26X4.00 ASAP. I think most everyone would like or has thought about fatter tires on their bike.

Leave a comment:

• Opinion: Whats the best tire width for electric bike?

i want to hear your thoughts about tire thickness, how thick or how slim you need to get that smooth and durable ride?
Working...
X