Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinion: Whats the best tire width for electric bike?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinion: Whats the best tire width for electric bike?

i want to hear your thoughts about tire thickness, how thick or how slim you need to get that smooth and durable ride?

• pure_mahem
    commented on 's reply
    Sometimes we arent using those knobby tires by choice. They just happen to be the best option. I have a fat bike and run 26x4.75 99% of my travel is on pavement. Its either take a durable knobby tire and compromise a bit of mileage and some noise or suffer constant breakdowns, flats, blowouts because the street tires just dont have the durability. Id love to get better mileage and have a quieter ride but until manufacturers put out a durable fat tire knobbies it is. Not riding FAT is not an option!

• Retrorockit
    replied
    Originally posted by joebreeze View Post
    Strictly road use . Continental CONTACT Plus City . I've put 2001mi on them .E-bike E-50 rated , 2.25in width , very low rolling resistance. Heavy though at about 1 pound each . In fact any of the CONTACT tires are decent and very strong. Going 40mph + downhill and hitting a pothole is fine with these because of their strong side walls. German tech also. I've never understood people who use knobby tires on sealed roads Click image for larger version Name:	Continental-Contact-Plus-City-Performance-SafetyPlus-Breaker-27-5-Wired-Tyre-59122-0-1549981602 (1).jpeg Views:	2 Size:	126.6 KB ID:	89172
    That's a very nice tire for asphalt roads. the asphalt itself provides all the tread pattern you need. I use the Schwalbe Big Apple Plus which has a little more tread because sand on concrete is not uncommon around here. If I wasn't running the Schwalbes I would be running those.

Leave a comment:

• Bullfrog
    replied
    Just mounted a set of Schwalbe Super Moto-X tires 27.5x2.8...they roll a lot better and are a lot quieter than the Maxxis DHF/DHR combo I was running.

The Schwalbe's are ECE-R75 ebike rated for 50 kph....pretty awesome tires for the pavement IMO.

There may be higher load rated tires out there but the Super Moto-X has the highest load rating of any bicycle tire I could find with the ECE-R75 certification.

Here is a link to the Schwalbe site: https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_t...s/super-moto-x

Leave a comment:

• joebreeze
    replied
    Strictly road use . Continental CONTACT Plus City . I've put 2001mi on them .E-bike E-50 rated , 2.25in width , very low rolling resistance. Heavy though at about 1 pound each . In fact any of the CONTACT tires are decent and very strong. Going 40mph + downhill and hitting a pothole is fine with these because of their strong side walls. German tech also. I've never understood people who use knobby tires on sealed roads Click image for larger version  Name:	Continental-Contact-Plus-City-Performance-SafetyPlus-Breaker-27-5-Wired-Tyre-59122-0-1549981602 (1).jpeg Views:	2 Size:	126.6 KB ID:	89172
    Last edited by joebreeze; 2 weeks ago. Reason: Why not

Leave a comment:

• MoneyPit
    replied
    Recently I decided to go in the opposite direction and I'm going to give Vee Chicane's a shot. I have to pull my main bike out of service for a couple weeks while I send my custom battery back for service (lost a cell so a 14s is now a 13S... probably a busted weld). While its down I will take the time to pull off each wheel and service both motors. When they both go back on, they will be wearing 3.5" Chicanes.

The genuinely 4.8" Snowshoes are fun but they are just damn noisy, vibration is a bit past my limit and perhaps even a tad slow on pavement (shocker) ... Usually I take that noise as a good thing warning mindless bipedal boneheads to stay the hell out of the way. But in the distant past I ran on Origin8 Supercells and the blessed smooth silence was... well, blessed. I just hated the fact those tires loved to eat nails. I'm going to try again with the lowest-profile tire I am comfortable with on 80mm rims.

For giggles, I will probably try and mount them tubeless with Fattystrippers, which very likely will work just fine so long as I put some orange seal around the bead. Thats how I have the Snowshoes mounted now although those tires are tubeless ready. Worth a try at least once to see what happens.

Leave a comment:

• calfee20
    replied
    I must have hit on a perfect combo with this bike. Since I installed the Maxxis Mammoths the bike has gotten incredibly efficient. I was not looking for this. It just sort of fell into my lap.

I went on a relaxed 40 mile run with my oldest daughter. She was riding my BBSHD Electra Cruiser with Schwabe Big Apples. It was a good mix of paved streets and bike trails for this area and I got 15.5 Watts per mile!! If I am by myself and going a little faster I'll get about 17 Watts per mile but if I am going still faster and doing a lot of sand ,mud and off road it won't get worse than 19 Watts per mile.

My batteries total 31 amp/hours and if you figure out the watts available and use a conservative 20 Watts per mile I come up with at least 110 miles.
    The only explanation is the center strip on the tires that the bike is running on and maybe I have hit on a perfect combination with this motor winding and tire size. I can pedal this bike at 25mph with 500 watts of assist. It does not make any sense but I love it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	MM.PNG Views:	1 Size:	187.1 KB ID:	87243

I installed Nord-Lock washers on the rear axle and toned down the regeneration so everything will stay tight back there. I'm hardly using any brake pad material at all. 95% of my braking is done with the regen. This is another big plus

Leave a comment:

• Retrorockit
    replied
    https://www.google.com/search?newwin...w=1600&bih=827
    Sorry no motor. batteries probably wouldn't work at -30* anyway.

Leave a comment:

• AZguy
    commented on 's reply
    My minions showed up and look very nice but I think the bulldozers will get me through most of the summer - it gets too hot to ride a lot much past July... I'll still ride but mostly just evening rides close to home and some mountain runs on the weekends

• MoneyPit
    commented on 's reply
    As expected based on what I am seeing here and observed on the bike over the last couple of months... my Snowshoes are going to get burned up quick. Especially in the summer months. Always seems like tires go faster when its hot. And here its really hot. We've already had a couple days over 100 fahrenheit.

I have been extremely please with the Minions on my 29er. 2.3's there I think. I have two more spare snowshoes so it will be awhile until its time to find a new brand but Minions are high on the list.

• MoneyPit
    commented on 's reply
    I'll take exception to "bigger is always better does not have a lot going for it on an ebike". Assuming that was directed at AZguy's comment. retrorockit you note some unsureness about wider tires in an urban environment, which indicates you haven't ridden a bike with them on. I'll say the following as a cyclist whose first commuter was a 700x19C bike with Avocet slicks on it, and who now has a 29er with 2.1's (tubeless), a new Luna Fixed with 700x35's and a trio of fat 2wd monstrosities with synch'd PAS, no suspension and 4.3" tubed and to 4.8" tubeless tires.
    Riding daily 30+ miles as a commuter, and having done so on a fat bike for the last three years... Bigger is better has a LOT going for it on an ebike. If not an ebike, then fat tires belong overland and in snow where they were meant to be used. But on the street, a fat tire is nothing short of a lifesaver. True, such a bike is a tank. But put those tires down to about 12 psi and pair them up to about 4 kw (1750w BBSHD and 2kw front geared hub) and a tank simply runs over things it cannot get around and you may not even notice. On my fat-ish 700x35's pumped to 85 psi... not even freaking close in terms of stability at speed (30 mph cruise). And on those 35's I had sure better go around stuff I would have just rolled over obliviously with a bike wearing 4.8" tubeless Snowshoes. And the not-so-exotic fattie wearing 90mm carbon deep dish wheels powered by a single BBSHD... Same conclusion, although that bike feels nimble by comparison to the 2wd freight trains. Retrorockit you obviously understand about sidewalls and tire pressure and load etc... Absent experience to the contrary you're going to have to take it on faith from those who are doing it: Fat tires are ideal on urban commuters.

• AZguy
    commented on 's reply
    Makes sense with the snowhoes... the black bulldozers are likely longer lasting and while I did manage 2000mi I'm not going to let these go so long - the last ones were handling very poorly at the end and even though I knew it when I put the new ones on it was hilarious how bad they really were with the A/B comparison

That still sounds better than the bulldozers - I expected they would be worse so even if they work out about the same I'll be happy!

The look more aggressive but in the end the percentage of surface that's tread may be pretty close to the same with just larger knobs so larger gaps and if the knobs are deeper then it sort of makes sense

I remember finding tires like that for my really large DP motos - I had a R1100GS with DOT knobbies but the knobs were much larger than the other DOT knobbies I'd been running and with the smaller knobs would fall apart even on my 650... amazing how well those large knobbed ones handled on the street too
    Last edited by AZguy; 05-25-2019, 01:18 PM.

• JPLabs
    commented on 's reply
    I don't know if they will impress you for wear, but the rubber holds up a lot longer than the soft silica Snowshoes, which seem to mostly burn up in about a thousand miles of pavement. I guess I have more than that on my Minions, already and they aren't very worn. I bet they can do 3k with pretty good tread left, SWAG?

• AZguy
    commented on 's reply
    I appreciate your feedback on the Minions - I really couldn't find much. Surprised and happy to hear you get good mileage out of them, I was not expecting them to be all that good. I got 2000mi on the last set of bulldozers but they were crap for the last 500 or so... when I put on the new ones I laughed at how much I was putting up with.

I still have about 500mi or so left on this set but that likely won't last far into summer and i found a good deal on this set and maybe since they're new to me, will feel compelled to replace them before the ones on the bike are so totally shagged LOL

• JPLabs
    commented on 's reply
    I like my Minions, for knobbies, they are quieter than my VEE Snowshoes, at least, and wear a lot longer. Handle well. Current favorite all terrain summer tire. Used to run Fat Knards, too. Those don't last long.

I just put on some Origin 8 Supercells for a while. Got for wife, but liked the silence so kept 'em! Excellent street and quite good on dirt, but NOT a mud tire. Only 4.0 tire and almost an inch less section height than the big Minions. Still soft enough to be cushy at 11-13 PSI, for me, with good rolling. Self steer went away at 15 or so for me, but I LIKE the way these steer at 11 or so. Lean the bike and it carves like skis. If anybody runs these, do play with pressure vs handling, it's very tuneable.
    Last edited by JPLabs; 05-23-2019, 07:38 AM.
Working...
X