BBSHD 600 Miles In, Tips and Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBSHD 600 Miles In, Tips and Review

I want to post a review of my first 600 miles of electric biking. THose interested in my build can see the first iteration here:

First I want to say I have no incentive or relationship with Luna other than the fact I am extremely happy with my purchase and build and think more people

For performance, the BBSHD blew away all my expectations. I had a friction motor almost a decade ago that was heavy and slow. I helped a friend build a gas powered bike around the same time and it was fast, but it was also loud, hot, and very tempermental. The BBSHD is the best of those two with none of the downsides. It is quite, fast, reliable and FUN!

My first build was a drag racer with no real attention to how I was going to stop the thing after the motor negated my coaster brake in the rear and I had nowhere to mount a caliper brake. Having all stopping power on the front disc worked well enough on clean, dry pavement, but once it got a little wet or sandy and it was skidsville. While in 600 miles I had no serious injuries, I did abandon the bike a couple times as it was laying on its side. So I had all the excitement but none of the safety and the bike I am currently working on fixes all of those issues, but that is for another post. Here is what I learned:

1) The more pedal assist steps the better. Switch to 9 steps and you have a great range to play in.

2) Gearing is important. With a heavy motor and battery along with a steel bike, getting started from a stop took more effort than I wanted, but worse, any speed over 20 MPH any pedal assist is basically useless. I could not pedal fast enough to add any benefit. However, idly pedaling while changing the pedal assist level was a nice way to regulate my speed in traffic so I could go anywhere from 15-30 in a few MPH increments depending on my pedal assist level.

3) Get a chain tensioner. If you are relying on the positioning of the tire to tension your chain, it will slip forward. If it cant move forward you will still stretch your chain and have a small amount of sack. When that chain comes off going hard it can get stuck in between the chainring and motor, cutting up the motor and chain in the process and the only way to get it off is to remove the chainring. After many many chain drops I added a motor bicycle idler from Bike Barry and have not had a single chain drop for the last 200 miles since I installed it. By far the best part for the buck that I have purchased on this build.

4) Ride with traffic, not on the side - now that I can go the speed of traffic, my bicycle commute roads are completely different. I feel more comfortable on well paved roads with stop lights where I normally would bike ride on poorly paved roads with stop signs to avoid cars. Take the lane and don't ride to the side, you are not slowing anyone down and my biggest fear is being car doored at 30 MPH

5) Check all bolts periodically. While nothing functional failed in these rides, I did loose some nuts and bolts for my fenders and my banana seat. Easily fixed, but at high speeds and vibrations its better to check periodically than lose something important.

6) If you wouldn't let a friend ride your bike, you probably shouldn't either - and this is the biggest takeway from this first run. I love this bike, but it was not safe. I was comfortable with my ability to save my skin in a bail, but that should not be a concern for something I want to be my daily commuter. I have already moved this motor over to a brand new bike I have been building for the last few weeks and I couldn't be happier. I need a few new parts to make it 100% so I am waiting on those, but look for some new build pictures next week.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

Happy Riding!

I had a few lose bolts here an there, but my 1st real 16 mile ride the crank bolt was coming loose half way home.
    I used the throttle to make it home and thinking about putting blue lock tight on most fixings.

Comment

Working...
    X