Question for people with illegal ebikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for people with illegal ebikes

I was wondering for those of you with illegal ebikes(preferably in canada) how has the police reacted to your bikes. Have they given you tickets and if so, how bad were they because I am interested in purchasing a bbshd 2500w ebike for commuting and trial riding, but I am scared that I wont get much use out of it and finding that I was better off pocketing 4500cad that I used to purchase it

I ride an illegal bike for a 12 mile round trip commute, six days a week. I have been doing this for three years at speeds of up to 44 mph, but usually traveling about 33mph. I have had ZERO problems with LE.

I have never been pulled over. I don’t think I have ever even been given a second look by LE.

I am in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Comment

I would recommend anybody who is doing this to wear a reflective safety vast, helmet with helmetcam, goggles, gloves and have lighting in both the front & rear.

I think that when LE sees this, it gives the impression that you know what you’re doing.

When LE sees the helmetcam, it may discourage them from pulling you over because they know that they are being filmed.
      Last edited by commuter ebikes; 10-29-2018, 08:18 AM.

Comment

I've commuted on the luna roam fusion w/ ludicrous in Vancouver, BC for several months without problems. So much fun.
        Proper lights, reflective vest, full face helmet - no cop or anyone else has given me grief.

Once in a while I'll open it up but i mostly ride at 30-50km/hr.

Comment

I think the trick is to ride your e bike at the same speeds a regular cyclist would be riding in each situation. In other words don't draw negative attention to yourself by going 30mph on the sidewalk.
          In big cities where people have caused problems law enforcement will be watching for this. It's not hard to stay under the radar. I use the motor to ride further, fight hils and headwinds, and keep up with traffic when I do take a lane on the road. When I'm riding close to pedestrians I turn the assist off. At least I have an arguement to present if questioned by LE. Basically try to avoid having the question of your bikes legality ever become an issue.

Comment

I am in Australia. All police know is a cyclist must have helmet, bells, lights, reflectors. They wouldn't be able to spot an illegal ebike. Just don't draw attention to yourself. Ride as if all that power is coming from your legs.

Comment

One thing to think about is 1500W is 2HP. Just about legal for a moped with no insurance or drivers license required. 2500W is getting into motorcycle territory. Also I've found 1500W can go over 30mph and this can tax the brakes wheels,tires, and suspension of most bicycle based compnents. In lower gears 1500W is enough to hoist the bike over backwards when climbing. I'nm not sure 2500W is worth the effort. A BBSHD 52V. might be the sweet spot for good performance, and maybe avoiding some extra issues if the need arises. You can get one marked 750W and tune from there.
              A bike set up to use 2500W is going to start looking very much like a motorcycle, or be unsafe to use the power because it isn't. In some jurisdiction confiscation of the bike can happen. Very common in the EU. Not sure which way Canadfa is looking for guidance on this. Especially Quebec!
              Generally 2500W bikes are intended for use on private property.
              Last edited by Retrorockit; 07-17-2020, 07:14 AM.

Comment

In Europe they have a class called s pedelec. Limited to 45km/h and require licence and registration. That should be the law everywhere.

Comment

The riding environment in Europe is very different than in the US. In fact in the US it varies greatly form place to place. Why should my speed limit be different than anyone elses? Why should my E bike have a power limit when 16 year olds are blasting around here in 500hp AMG Mercedez, and Corvettes.. In France it's 30,000 Euro fine and a Year in prison for tweaking your E bike. I don't believe in limits. I believe if you're not riding like an ass then you should be left alone.
                  Speed limits for bikes are danngerous to the bike riders. Mismatched speeds increases the rate of accidents, and also the severity of them.
                  I have a drivers license that says I can drive anything over 25,00 pounds, and with no restriction on horsepower. What IS the problem with me riding a 2HP E bike?
                  I f the French don't like it they know what they can do. They have a word for it.

Comment

• Retrorockit
                    Retrorockit commented
                    Editing a comment
                    On 2 lane roads around here the speed limit is eithe 30mph in residential areas, or 35MPH otherwise. to keep up with traffis, and not annoy drivers by being in their way 56PKH is needed to ride safely.On 4 lane roads 45mph and higher is normal. Actual traffic will be going 55mph. Then even 35 mph is too slow to safely ride there without s separate bike lane.
                    If you need to have other people do your thinking for you that's your priveledge. But don't impose your limitations on others.

Originally posted by Retrorockit View Post
                  The riding environment in Europe is very different than in the US. In fact in the US it varies greatly form place to place. Why should my speed limit be different than anyone elses? Why should my E bike have a power limit when 16 year olds are blasting around here in 500hp AMG Mercedez, and Corvettes.. In France it's 30,000 Euro fine and a Year in prison for tweaking your E bike. I don't believe in limits. I believe if you're not riding like an ass then you should be left alone.
                  Speed limits for bikes are danngerous to the bike riders. Mismatched speeds increases the rate of accidents, and also the severity of them.
                  I have a drivers license that says I can drive anything over 25,00 pounds, and with no restriction on horsepower. What IS the problem with me riding a 2HP E bike?
                  I f the French don't like it they know what they can do. They have a word for it.
                  In Australia and presumably the US, there are standards which regulate what cars and bikes can be registered and are allowed on the road. Are you suggesting that there should be no rules and you can ride a bike at any power and any speed regardless of bike specifications such as brakes. I am assuming you are willing to stick to the speed limit but then again, you don't seem keen on limits.

Comment

I'm suggesting that the power of an e bike shouldn't be anyones concern. You can ride a fast ebike slow, but you can't ride a slow one fast. This gives you options that can save your life.
                    In the US there are V8 powered tikes on the road. 850HP supercharged hemi Challengers that I have to share the road with. As long as you're RIDING in a legal manner power shouldn't be an issue.. Being on 2 wheels you're already at a disadvantage in the case of a conflict with another vehicle. Why make it worse.
                    Since I own and ride an "illegal"l bike maybe I can show you the difference based on my own experience riding.
                    There is a busy 2 lane street, and an intersection with a 6 lane road. At the traffic light is a large SUV. On the opposite side are vehicles waiting to turn left. Behind the SUV are 2 E bikes. One is unlimited and has taken a lane like a motorcycle, The other is legal and hugging the right shoulder so as not to get run over by overtaking cars. When the light changes the SUV crosses the intersection. The illegal bike crosses with it close behind. The oncoming vehicle turns left behind the SUV. The slower bike hidden behind the SUV is 1/2 way across the intersection and right in front of the turning car before the driver sees them. That rider has no goood options. If they hit the brakes, and the driver swerves to go behing them they still get run over. They were riding legally and had the right of way to cross going straight.
                    I also have the option of riding it as a bicycle, at bicycle speeds in places hwere bicycling is appropriate., or even turning the power of when around pedestrians. if you put a license plate on it then it becomes the worlds slowest ( and unsafest) motorcycle.
                    In the US cars have no power limits, motorcycles have no power limits. They are both a much greater danger to others that any powered bicycle. Why would you accept rules that serve no useful purpose, protect no one, and endanger your own safety?
                    Last edited by Retrorockit; 07-19-2020, 03:38 AM.

Comment

• Retrorockit
                      Retrorockit commented
                      Editing a comment
                      My position is that what I ride is just a bicycle. The only difference is that when riding in the road, which bicycles are allowed to do. Mine can keep up with traffic.In fact when riding in the road it isn't fast enough to get a speeding ticket except in a school zone.So I don't see any reason for a BBSHD to be "illegal".
                      Last edited by Retrorockit; 07-19-2020, 03:50 AM.

Originally posted by Retrorockit View Post
                    I'm suggesting that the power of an e bike shouldn't be anyones concern. You can ride a fast ebike slow, but you can't ride a slow one fast. This gives you options that can save your life.
                    In the US there are V8 powered tikes on the road. 850HP supercharged hemi Challengers that I have to share the road with. As long as you're RIDING in a legal manner power shouldn't be an issue.. Being on 2 wheels you're already at a disadvantage in the case of a conflict with another vehicle. Why make it worse.
                    Since I own and ride an "illegal"l bike maybe I can show you the difference based on my own experience riding.
                    There is a busy 2 lane street, and an intersection with a 6 lane road. At the traffic light is a large SUV. On the opposite side are vehicles waiting to turn left. Behind the SUV are 2 E bikes. One is unlimited and has taken a lane like a motorcycle, The other is legal and hugging the right shoulder so as not to get run over by overtaking cars. When the light changes the SUV crosses the intersection. The illegal bike crosses with it close behind. The oncoming vehicle turns left behind the SUV. The slower bike hidden behind the SUV is 1/2 way across the intersection and right in front of the turning car before the driver sees them. That rider has no goood options. If they hit the brakes, and the driver swerves to go behing them they still get run over. They were riding legally and had the right of way to cross going straight.
                    I also have the option of riding it as a bicycle, at bicycle speeds in places hwere bicycling is appropriate., or even turning the power of when around pedestrians. if you put a license plate on it then it becomes the worlds slowest ( and unsafest) motorcycle.
                    In the US cars have no power limits, motorcycles have no power limits. They are both a much greater danger to others that any powered bicycle. Why would you accept rules that serve no useful purpose, protect no one, and endanger your own safety?
                    If you have no limit on speed and power, you have what is called a motorcycle. Get yourself registration, licence and insurance and everyone will be happy.

Comment

It's not safe to ride a 25mph vehicle in 35mph traffic. Especially in a country where drivers are not used to sharing the road with bicycles at all. I only ride in the road when there is no other way to get where I'm going. It is absolutely a last resort. When I'm forced do ride in the road I want to do so safely, and without inconveniencing other drivers.
                      You seem to enjoy making pronouncements based on what other people have told you with no facts or experience to back them up. How many legislators do you think have ever ridden a bicycle, or E bike for transportation? Ridng a motorcycle is probably the last thing you would want to do in South Florida. I know someone who insists on doing it, and she attends about 1 funeral a month. One of them was her husband. Her boss survived his crash, but had his short ribs screwed to the bottom of his skull so they could hang some teeth there. A friend of mines wife died doing it, my dentist and his wife both died doing it. Excuse me if I don't take your self important advice. I would rather be alive to pay a fine thank you. If you think this is a polite way of telling you to drop dead you wouldn't be too far off.

Comment

So you don't want to ride a motorcycle but you want to ride a bicycle in the manner of a motorcycle? So you think riding a bicycle at 35mph is safer than riding a motorcycle at 35mph. Not exactly sure what the logic is there. I have a motorcycle, ebike and bicycle. 35mph is very comfortable on a motorcycle, especially with full face helmet, leather jacket, kevlar jeans and air bag vest.

Comment

Here in The Netherlands, a typical low-power category max 25kph gasoline-powered motor-scooter has usually at least a 5hp to 8hp engine. These two-wheelers are also "turned up" illegally by their vendors at the point-of-sale, to operate in excess of 50kph. None of this is frowned upon, none of this seems cause for concern, and zero efforts are made at enforcement.

All those "legal" scooters are never inspected after the point-of sale, no license is required--they're issued a licence-plate at sale, but there's no real registration, no inspection-criteria, no compliance testing of any kind--and users aren't even required to use a helmet.

"Blue-Plate" motor-scooters are a free-for-all. Teens with both hands and both eyes busy with their cellphones are free to hop on--and ride away. Law-enforcement is almost guaranteed to take zero action whatsoever against any of them--no matter the circumstances.

Yet every single one of those "legal" scooters here unquestionably poses a greater danger to other users of the roadways and bike-path, than any e-bike ever has--"legal" or otherwise.

So, if I get a fine, I will go to court, and I will win--one way or another.

If my e-bike will be required to be under that 350w limit, that's fine by me--because that court-ruling will also require that every other motorized conveyance on those bike-paths--including everything gasoline-powered--every vile and stinking moped and motor-scooter, antique or otherwise--all of them will share the same exact power-limit (and since they'd all exceed it by default, they'd all become instantaneously and permanently banned from the bike-paths and roadways).

If, on the other hand, it's found the power-standards for gasoline-powered conveyances are adequate--and those higher power-levels should be the baseline, then that'll mean my bike already falls well-within compliance, and in that case, I'll be happy to register it.

I will have all the facts and data on my side, and the goal of getting all those foul vile gas-burners off the paths would make giving up my "extra" power a very easy thing to do.

Every breath of cleaner air I take in, will taste like victory--even if my max-speed becomes about 15kph!

It'll be that judge's choice: Drop the stupid double-standard--or enforce it universally for everyone who shares the bike-paths. One way or another, I will win--and when I do, I guarantee it'll piss off a hell of lot more people than riding around innocently and nicely on my "overpowered" e-bike.

So yeah. Reality is, Europeans are frequently just as incapable of dealing with their own hypocrisy as Americans are.

Having said all that, I think issues with law-enforcement frequently come down to individual behavior-choices more than anything else.

My own experience seems to indicate that if you don't ride like an asshole, you're likely to encounter minimal issues.

But fools who flaunt their bike's "superpowers" are bound to attract a lot of extra attention. And maybe they deserve to be "reined in" anyway.

So don't be one of "those types" ...

Drive defensively, courteously.

A phrase I liked when doing driver training in the Air Force was, "Don't be the example--set the example."

Stay safe, everyone,

tklop
                          Last edited by tklop; 07-26-2020, 06:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X