Is anyone else doing this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is anyone else doing this?

After having 3 flat tires in a row. 2 at night and one in daylight ( it looked like a leaf but was a broken Heiniken bottle held together by the plastic label). I've started to stop and remove broken glass from the sidewalks and bike paths on my daytime Sunday rides. It's a PITA but less work that breaking down a tire and trying to patch the tube by the side of the road at night. I guess one disadvantage of strict open container laws is that it gives an incentive to pitch beer bottles out the window. I don't see much glass in Ft. lauderdale, But the redneck yahoos in Davie where I live make up for it.

I remove road hazards too, sure. If not immediately, then I try to note where and get it on the way home. My main routes are getting pretty clean after a few years of this! And no flats yet, it's gotta be part of the reason....
    Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

Yes these hazards don't go away by themselves. They accumulate until someone does something about them. I cleaned up 3 broken beer bottles, and a few smaller pieces. The odds are pretty good that I would have run over one of them on a night ride.

Comment

This seems to be worth doing. On my ride yesterday I saw no glass. I was expecting a new crop from friday night but it wasn't there. My first flat was from blue glass. One of the bottles I cleaned up a week later was blue glass. I may have kept myself from running over the same bottle again. This seems to be time well spent.

Comment

I prefer to drink from glass bottles. But I prefer to ride over plastic ones! Thats a packaging trend that's pretty nice for bikers.
          Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

I spoke too soon. Apparently Heiniken Boy tosses his bottles late Saturday night. It looks like there will be a weekly deposit on Pine Island Road every Sunday morning. The only reason they don't accumulate is the walled community along there presssure washes the sidewalk regulaly. Of course never on a Sunday. The storm drains next to the sidewalk have guardrails so people dont fall into them and that gives him something to break the bottles on. There's a CW bar in the shopping center about a 1/2 mile from there. Of course you wouldn't want to confront this drunken asshat at 2AM because this is CCW/ Stand Your Ground territory.

Comment

This is working out very welll for me. I haven't had a flat since I started doing this. Much better than 3 in one week.

Comment

Working...
              X