Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Legal to ride on LA County Trails??

Hey everyone,

New to e-bikes and new to the forum! I'm seriously looking into building my own e-mtb (Bafang mid-motor), and it occurred to me I should check if I can even ride it on trials in my area. From what I've read, my local trails in Orange County, CA are not allowing e-mtbs and are issuing tickets. So I looked into Los Angeles County, but can't seem to find any info. Anyone live in SoCal, and where are you (legally) riding? Any harassment from non-motorized folks? I'm asking about dirt trails only. Thanks!

Something I've found where I live is that different parks have different rules depending on who has authority. There are City, County, State, and Federal parks. Some allow bikes to ride horse trails, some put bikes on hiking trails and away from horses , some don't care. Riding from my house I have a city park, a county park, a state park, and a different city park all strung together. E bikes complicate things. I ride the same speed in the same places other bikes ride. So far no issues.

Comment

I haven't taken my E bike into an actual MTB park. They're pretty dangerous as is, and require a waiver/license to use. if something happened I'm pretty sure it would be seen as your fault by someones attorney.

Comment

Here is a link on some LA Trails (https://www.change.org/p/seniors-cit...rk-bike-trails). Best thing to do is to go to the places you would ride and ask about using an e-bike in that area or visit that municipality's website. Sometimes e-bikes are technically illegal and they do not enforce it (i.e. some CA State Parks). Other times where they would ticket, there are hardly ever any resources to write tickets. If you are an old rider, you can say you have a heart condition and they would usually start with a warning. If you have a CA disability placard, I know for a fact that they will not ticket you. The bottom line is that local rules trump the CA state laws.

Comment

I found that local rules are the ones to watch for. Horse riders came first here, own a bunch of land, and have political clout. It's very common for my city to use a zoning variance to convert multi use trails to equestrian only use, or Local Access only. Be aware of who's calling the shots where you ride.

Comment

You should checkout the LA Ebike law here. They keep changing it -- so you never know

Comment

E-MTBAssociation is a FB page dedicated to eMTB access in OC and LA. The most recent post has a good article from January 2020 for those who want the latest on access in Orange County.

Comment

Never had issues with my e-bike around this are unless things have changed now and I'm not aware of it. Not that I'm excellent with laws anyway. If I was an expert in laws I would probably be in a quart room rather than work in a supermarket. A few months ago I needed a good attorney to help me with a family issue And if it wasn't for Mike I would probably be being a crazy amount of money to my ex-wife. Apparently she was trying to take advantage of the job that I just got recently in order to get more money than I should be giving to her. I was like enough to get a good attorney and you can find details here if you ever need someone to go the extra mile for your case!
                Last edited by Marduk; 03-26-2021, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X