No announcement yet.

X1 & Turbo Levo - 8.5 Mile Scenic Downhill run from Bootleg Canyon to Lake Mead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X1 & Turbo Levo - 8.5 Mile Scenic Downhill run from Bootleg Canyon to Lake Mead

This is a long one but surely worth watching if you have some time. This is one of the longest and most beautiful scenic downhill runs we've done...

Description:
    In this episode of our Ride with Us - Best in Las Vegas series, we travel back to Boulder City Nevada (30 mins from the Las Vegas strip) where Melanie will rent a Specialized Turbo Levo electric mountain bike from and All Mountain Cyclery. We will then enter the River Mountains Bike loop trail at the Bootleg Canyon trail head and ride counter clockwise (northeast) to Lake Mead. This awesome bike ride is 8.5 miles in length and is almost completely downhill so very little pedaling is required. The River Mountains loop trail is completely paved and downhill speeds can comfortably reach between 20 and 30 mph. During this ride there are stunning views of the mountains, big horn sheep and Lake Mead. Cruise with us down through Bootleg Canyon, Boulder City, and the Lake Mead recreational area before finally ending at the Lake Mead marina on this beautiful spring day in the Nevada desert. This wonderful bike ride is truly on of the Best In Vegas experiences for tourists and locals alike.

BTW: My girl and I swapped bikes on the way back for a while and I got a chance to ride the Specialized Turbo Levo. That bike was a medium and a bit too small for me. It only has 3 power levels and even in power level 3 on the way back it was barely assisting me back up those mountains. We switched back after about 3 miles. My girl had better luck with it as she is about 60 lbs lighter than me. I will admit that the pedal assist/torque sensor is a bit smoother than the X1. If I was a hardcore mountain biker who was using my bike to climb big mountains and go nuts coming down, maybe the turbo Levo would be a better bike. However, the X1 is perfect for exactly what it was built for... Enduro riding. My girlfriend also agreed and she loved the extra power and the over size and feel of the X1 over the Turbo Levo. She is kicking herself in the ass for not ordering hers when I ordered mine in February. We are desperately waiting for the next pre-order to open up.

One concern I do have about the X1 is how it will do in the 110-120 degree summer Las Vegas heat. I haven't seen anyone post about running the bike in this type of temperatures. I guess we will find out in another month or so....
    Last edited by joegold100; 4 weeks ago.

Comment

• KTMracer63
      KTMracer63 commented
      Editing a comment
      lol, 110 to 120 temp?...that's like 160+ surface temp, screw that, poor Maxxis will begin chunking/melting, sticking to the pavement, stressing the motor, bike will over-heat and blow up. hahahahahha, all in good humor.

do you still have the stock firmware as delivered in yours?

Comment

• KTMracer63
      KTMracer63 commented
      Editing a comment
      research the other umpteen scajillion posts about 14.6...
      honestly it's a big disservice not swapping to 14.6....to the rider and bike.

Ludicrous doesn't just kick in, the motor is shunted to deliver double the wattage/torque vs. the non-Ludi motor....which is why PAS level 1 and 2 with 14.6 is so much improved. One will still get a work out with Level 1. Rarely will one hit 2000w peak unless they're absolutely hammering the snot out of the bike....then again, that's why there's the over-heat motor sensor.
      The 5 and 9 PAS Level choice is way more user friendly with 14.6
      Last edited by KTMracer63; 4 weeks ago.

• joegold100
      joegold100 commented
      Editing a comment
      "The 5 and 9 PAS Level choice is way more user friendly with 14.6"

My bike only has PAS 0-5. There is PAS 6-9?

• KTMracer63
      KTMracer63 commented
      Editing a comment
      That's because your controller setting is currently set at the 5 level
      Yes, click the + and - buttons at same time...
      Highlight Settings.. click on/off button which opens this then scroll with + and - buttons, down to the Assist Mode.....there's a 3 Level PAS, 5 Level and also 9 Level to scroll through, pick one with on/off button below + - switch.

Regardless, 14.5 sucks
      Last edited by KTMracer63; 4 weeks ago.

Originally posted by joegold100 View Post
    One concern I do have about the X1 is how it will do in the 110-120 degree summer Las Vegas heat. I haven't seen anyone post about running the bike in this type of temperatures. I guess we will find out in another month or so....
    My initial thought is that might be pushing it! The M600 motor is rated for 500W, bumped to 750W for the standard X1 or 2000W for the ludi version. Plus it's pretty enclosed between the bike frame and added cowling. Definitely not as open as BBSXX motors. So over powered + minimal airflow + high ambient, is not going to be a good combo.

Two key temps would be the point at which the insulation in the motor starts to degrade and the point at which the mosfets in the controller start to break down. I suspect the controller would go first. Typical electronics ratings would be 85C or 105C (185-220F). The lower temp might be cutting it close if you already have 120F ambient.

I've seen at least one article on a BBS02 with the admonishments below. 140F max they show would really be cutting it close at 120F ambient.
    https://electricbike-blog.com/2015/0...he-bbs02-unit/
    • 140F + Stop riding and let it cool
    • 130F + Don’t use full throttle, only half throttle
    • 120F + Take it easy
    • 110F or less go whole hog

Looking forward to a report! I've been to Vegas...hiking during a 119F heat wave, but I would take that any day over the 100F swamp days we have here!
    Last edited by K442; 4 weeks ago.

Comment

• joegold100
      joegold100 commented
      Editing a comment
      Generally, during June - August when temps are usually over 100 I will ride in the early morning or evening. However, If you have a high temp of 115-120+ during the day, you still will be in the 100's even after dark. I grew up on the east coast and I agree with you .. 119 in the desert is nothing compared to 100 in humidity!
Working...
X