I take my electric Kyoto Cruiser for a test ride/drive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I take my electric Kyoto Cruiser for a test ride/drive

First real test ride/drive of my custom, home built, side-by-side, recumbent tandem since installing an 800 watt gear reduction motor. I'm in love!

You're having way too much fun! Glad you got the wiring figured out.

Comment

That rig looks as wide as some of the bile paths I have been on. Two people riding side by side doesn't seem to work to well.

Comment

It's 53" wide but fortunately we have a 10+ mile bike path about 1/2 mile from our house that is all paved and must be at least 8 feet wide. So we should be good.

Comment

Very nice but that doesn't even pretend to be human powered. When does an eBike become a golf cart?

Comment

I'll say what I said on another forum...
            I added the motor to get me and my girlfriend (along with the dog cart) to bike path about 1/2 mile away. Two really steep hills along the route would have left me exhausted by the time we got to the path. And I could say when does the rider of an ebike drop the pretense of riding a bike and just admit he's on a really light motorcycle or a moped at best? I'll let you know about the "pretending to be human powered" part after a ride on the bike path. I envisioned riding the trike as far down that 6 mile path as my legs would take me, with the knowledge that electricity could get me home again.
            I'm just curious as to what the hierarchy of criticism will be from the others on the path. Will it go something like this? : Single speed riders will be critical of multi-speed riders who will be critical of ebike riders who will be critical of people like me?

Comment

Originally posted by Mammonista View Post
              nd I could say when does the rider of an ebike drop the pretense of riding a bike and just admit he's on a really light motorcycle or a moped at best?
              Never as it is against the law in New Jersey and I would stand on my fifth amendment rights. If it looks like a bicycle and we can carry it like a bicycle we can get away with unlimited power and range anywhere bicycles are accepted. Harley Davidson is working on an electric "bike" so no "pretense" or peddles necessary. Just insurance, registration and a license.

The police will take dropping the "pretense" of riding a bicycle as contempt of cop.

Can the vehicle be propelled by human power only?
              Last edited by Riderofbike; 04-30-2017, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Purism is an evil mistress fraught with inconsistencies and the cognitive dissonance that follows. But if you're okay with it, so be it. Your attitude will just be our little secret.

Comment

Purism is an evil mistress fraught with inconsistencies and the cognitive dissonance that follows. But if you're okay with it, so be it. Your attitude will just be our little secret.
                  Can the vehicle be propelled by human power only?

Comment

Well of course. Two completely independent transmissions (pedals, cranks, shifters, derailleurs, cassettes, etc.) driving the left or right rear wheel for the respective riders.

Comment

Well of course. Two completely independent transmissions (pedals, cranks, shifters, derailleurs, cassettes, etc.) driving the left or right rear wheel for the respective riders.
                      Oh, never mind; carry on.

Comment

Funny that the laws didn't occur to me during those first few test rides, when I rode on sidewalks and trails, sometimes doing circus tricks inadvertently. I am super careful around pedestrians and, well everyone. Mr. Courteous because I am an early adopter here and feel like if people become familiar with these in a friendly way, maybe we can avoid restrictions that would take much of the fun away. At this moment Colorado is ebike friendly. At least it seems to be, it's Springtime and there are bike trails for miles. Not sure how trikes are treated here, probably same as bikes and ebikes. Have you gotten used to the low view perspective from the seat? I feel like I'd be craning my neck to see out of old habit. It certainly looks like fun to ride.

Comment

Well the rear view mirror is on the way and once on the bike trail we'll do everything we can to oblige other riders, either those coming up from behind or those approaching to get out of their way. The view is great and 20mph feels much faster because of the proximity to the ground. My guess is that a very small percentage of bikers will have a problem with the trike on philosophical grounds. Maybe not...and I hope I'm wrong. It's not noisy so that obviously won't be an issue but it is different and some people just hate anything different if you know what I mean.
                          A few years back I built 'Vanomo'. A DIY DOKA, which is essentially a VW Vanagon turned into a crew cab pick-up. It's one of only two that I know of in the U.S. Now Vanomo is pretty unique and whenever I take it for a spin I get at least one person approaching me in a parking lot asking about it, or somebody giving me a 'thumbs up' at a stop sign or passing me on the street. It happens so much it gets old. But the truck is a blast to drive and I can't imagine being without it. Still every time I put it on VW Vortex or one of the other VW specific sites at least one guy will say something like "If you wanted a DOKA (VW crew cab transporter) why didn't you just buy a DOKA instead of hacking up a perfectly good van to make that monstrosity?" Like I said "Purists". Ef 'em! :-)

Comment

Cool trike. Bit wide though - just hope nobody had the same idea coming the other way on that path. ;D

Comment

Now that's something I never thought about. What they used to call on the railroad a "cornfield meet". I guess one of us would just have to back up until we found the passing lane. ;-)

Comment

Working...
                              X