No announcement yet.

Break in the monsoon - first good ride of the season... our urban riding trails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Break in the monsoon - first good ride of the season... our urban riding trails

It's not exactly a video but snapshots from... close enough?

The monsoon finally broke over the weekend!

Spent most of the morning Saturday doing lots of PM on the bike which included a inspect and lube of the BBSHD secondary reduction. About 5000mi ago I did a full tear down, inspect and lube (used the recommended red mobilgrease 28) and figured it was time to at least take a look at the secondary. It looked great with very little darkening of the grease (inevitable metal particles make the grease darken) and the gear teeth looked excellent.

Did a short shakedown ride Saturday afternoon and did the first long ride of the season. Covered about 32mi using 428wh which works out to a reasonable 13.4wh/mi. It'll get better now that I can go and ride

Hit the urban trail system out my back yard and did a brewery themed ride

Moo

First brewery stop

On the way to number two

Downtown "old" Gilbert

Goating around

Then on to the "research"

Not the best of trails but the whole day - at least no traffic (I don't like the cars)

Three breweries is plenty so time to meet the friends for a pasty dinner

Don't leave the gopro on in your pocket.... it gets silly hot

Click image for larger version  Name:	pocket.png Views:	1 Size:	718.6 KB ID:	94076

Glad I got out... Monday rained like all get go from some pacific tropical storm remnants... even had a little bitty tornado on the north side... oh well...

Looks like a good ride, how hot was it?

Comment

Super nice - around 100F at the hottest but very dry which might not sound that good but so nice... the evenings have been cooling down to 70's

Last night I was riding around and came across some nitwit that drove their jeep into the canal

Click image for larger version

Name:	jeepInCanal.png
Views:	145
Size:	808.5 KB
ID:	94795

After seeing this I rode a few blocks into my neighborhood and the helicopter is lighting up the driver and passenger that ran from the scene: https://www.abc15.com/news/region-so...alo-verde-park

Comment

100* around here is like a sauna. The canals are much deeper too. That's where the dry land for the road came from. Fortunately it rains enough to take the edge off. If they did that around here all you would see is bubbles.

Comment

This canal is a bit unique - it's a surface wastewater canal that's gets cleaned up a couple of miles down and then is used to cool the powerplant a little further down

The irrigation canals are smaller but the freshwater canals are huge in comparison

Comment

Love the hat in this picture:

Click image for larger version  Name:	pasty-png.1906216.png Views:	0 Size:	994.2 KB ID:	94807

Speaking of guys on electric bikes and, guess who, Nick Nolte, on an Electra I think ... but no hat:

Click image for larger version  Name:	17296526-7358635-Oceanside_outing_On_Wednesday_Nick_Nolte_ditched_the_cane_and_pi-a-14_1565834880484.jpg Views:	0 Size:	110.4 KB ID:	94808

Click image for larger version

Name:	10187814-6737805-Age_is_just_a_number_Nick_Nolte_is_still_in_incrdible_shape_On_F-m-23_1550948426404.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	94809

Last edited by ncmired; 10-06-2019, 08:52 AM.
            BBSHD/BBS02B builds: IGH 1 2 3 4 5 6

Comment

My avatar resembles that! Click image for larger version

Name:	lol.gif
Views:	118
Size:	438 Bytes
ID:	94812

Good old Nick - we should get him a hat though...

Comment

BTW - turns out the jeep was one of my neighbors... I thought it might have been - he gave me a call later this morning and spilled the beans... He an his wife were screwing around in the park and climbed the slope that leads to the canal and overshot, ended up in the canal and so they wandered home to be greeted by the local PD when they got there... Ouch...

Comment

Originally posted by AZguy View Post
                  BTW - turns out the jeep was one of my neighbors... I thought it might have been - he gave me a call later this morning and spilled the beans... He an his wife were screwing around in the park and climbed the slope that leads to the canal and overshot, ended up in the canal and so they wandered home to be greeted by the local PD when they got there... Ouch...
                  Sounds more honest / smarter that one of those, "the GPS commanded me to do it - honest!" yarns, and that jeep may fare better than the one that went surfing during a hurricane.

There's a bike rider in the news video - that you?
                  Last edited by ncmired; 10-06-2019, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Haha - I didn't even see the video... not me although that's exactly where I rode... that video was well later...

Here's the clip from the camera... a bit hard to see... more hat shadow at the beginning LOL... Can see the helicopter lighting things up here and there

The guy sitting on the ground at the end is in the neighbor with the jeep's driveway and was having his ID checked by the cops

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-...mpmq6-1280.mp4
                    Last edited by AZguy; 10-07-2019, 07:19 AM.

Comment

Great way to end the day, crawling out of a sideways soggy jeep, with soggy brains.
                      Last edited by ncmired; 10-07-2019, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X